• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Yes, god forbid anybody use a little common courtesy while posting messages on the internet. That shit just slows you down!

Spoilering things that can barely be called a spoiler at all? Sure thing.

Let me spoil you something about HL2. Freeman loves to use a crowbar.

DarkFlow

Banned
Well, in this case, who knows what's important to the Gone Home story? A lot of us have never played it, so we have no idea what's a major storyline twist and what's just a routine plot point?

I've never played it myself, but I don't think the Lesbian bit is the main focus of the story. It's not like someone just dropped who the main villain is in The Usual Suspects on you.

VeTqUrv.gif
Man, it's crazy what some people can do with Nero, I could never get the hang of Nero I just stayed with my main man Dante.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
wow the community loves to vote for the wrong things

it's so consistent

Zeliard

Gone Home is also the only one among those that got any sort of "mainstream" attention. It was the only game on that list that you couldn't really avoid hearing about if you follow any sort of games media. The immediate reaction from people who were actively looking for the game was a lot more positive, but as time went on and more people tried it (who likely didn't try those other games listed) the reaction turned sour. Dear Esther gets the same sort of over the top negative backlash from random people who buy it during a Steam sale without knowing what the game is.

Be honest here. If Kentucky Route Zero or Stanley Parable became fairly well-known successes, do you envision them receiving this sort of backlash? Dear Esther has been a part of countless cheap bundles, and many people have to this point experienced it. Certainly there's been a fair amount of derision there, but does any of it remotely approach the sheer, unbridled hatred Gone Home has receivedf?

All of these games are interactive stories with very minimal to non-existent puzzles, the latter of which, if existent, would otherwise make them a strict part of the traditional adventure genre. Do you really believe this has nothing to do with subject matter? Look at the sheer disparity in the user reactions between each of these games. Dear Esther is a good example of an interactive story game with the amount of dislike you'd expect from people who just can't stand interactive stories and want more traditional gameplay in their games. Gone Home is something else altogether.

Hugstable

Banned
Ugh... playing Dark Souls for the first time, Moonlight Butterfly just whooped my ass. Did not expect that, dude just came flying in with that music playing and I honestly coudn't figure out how to even hit the motherfucker. This gon be good

dot

I better start playing Gone Home now before i get even more spoiled...

About to play Nether. Will come back later with impressions.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I loved the first two episodes of Kentucky Route Zero (know episode 3 is out but holding off on playing it for now), though its love here on GAF surprises me. It's one of those surrealistic atmospheric abstract games that are in style with what I like a lot, but wouldn't think it had any sort of mainstream appeal.

That's not a hipster comment either, I am happy it's doing well, just the fact that a broader audience likes it and it was considered for Indie GOTY rewards surprises me.

I've never played it myself, but I don't think the
Lesbian
bit is the main focus of the story. It's not like someone just dropped who the main villain is in The Usual Suspects on you.
And you still insist on not using spoiler tags, despite the uproar (I spoiler-tagged the quote for you - was quite easy). Come on now.

Kerbal increased in base price, the 40% off discount is the same. The others vary a lot from sale to sale, we've seen Fallout some sales at 66% and others at 75%. But the cliché for the past few sales is that 66% is the new 75%, but we've seen quite a few 80% and up sales this year which is pretty cool.
Ah, you got me on Kerbal. Did not notice the base price increase.

Uzzy

Now you don't even need to buy it!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gone Home -- MB-7D63609ADC19E66D - Taken by Servizio. 38 entrants total.

t1403576268z1.png

Spinluck

VeTqUrv.gif

Just a quick reminder for this giveaway!

I have never played DMC4, but this giveaway is making your boy mad salty that he won something from Modbot today.

The only DMC I have ever played and beaten was the Ninja Theory one, I don't think I played the others.

Mokoi

Banned
Ugh... playing Dark Souls for the first time, Moonlight Butterfly just whooped my ass. Did not expect that, dude just came flying in with that music playing and I honestly coudn't figure out how to even hit the motherfucker. This gon be good

Git Gud. Nahh, but seriously moonlight telegraphs his moves very easily. Also use some gold pine resin, and don't forget to two hand.

Salsa

ugh, fucking tell me about it

got like 3 done last week and i've been in PAIN since, i think he fucked up my recently done root canal that took two goddamn months when doing the fillings

I just think I chipped one and ever since i've had this weird ugly taste in that side of my mouth. Must have some real small amount of some sort of liquid or something spilling in there

Eusis

Waitaminit, how can Lego be on the sales and the vote at the same time? It's totally hogging a space.
Because someone's asleep at the wheel.

Especially as I thought that was why everything vanished initially, but nope guess that was an unrelated problem!

Teppic

Repost before going to bed.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Awesomenauts -- MB-27AE3D1D992A9A0D - Taken by natertots. 4 entrants total.
Stacking -- MB-203D7AF0DDACB940 - Taken by Garcia. 9 entrants total.
Costume Quest -- MB-48C3FACF9E99918E - Taken by FauX. 18 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-763E8BE961D3D6FD - Taken by BY2K. 22 entrants total.
Sanctum 2 -- MB-18DE8D0F93911552 - Taken by Anilusion. 5 entrants total.
Super Meat Boy, Lone Survivor, Braid -- MB-22FC2EACCD80377B - Taken by thesaucetastic. 22 entrants total.
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-6E3E5711986847FC - Taken by Indignate. 6 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-E10FCA0EF39AC6E6 - Taken by darkchewie
Psychonauts -- MB-FE6CAD5CA0F29374 - Taken by skullmuffins. 1 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-D5D44E0C6D5E79B9 - Taken by intheinbetween. 2 entrants total.
Cave Story Plus -- MB-4084B81781DCD870 - Taken by akskiller. 5 entrants total.

t1403584676z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom