• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

It's not even a game. It's more like an interactive story telling experience you would find at your museums, where would would have digital trips to explore dinosaurs.

This "game" is terrible, sad to see it take a slot where other more meaningful and better games could be on sale.

CoD: Ghosts, CS:GO, etc.

Yay! Site finally updated for me. Just Gone Home it is. It's finally happening... I'm not wanting like 3-8 games with every new flash/community/daily cycle.

Financial disaster averted!

Just need my boy Fallout 3 GOTY to drop on the daily now, and it will be a very successful Summer Sale for me!

Do people actually trust thumbs up/down as an adequate measure of anything? I've certainly learned to ignore anything that resembles a "like" button.
I think it's a useful barometer, in that if a game has a lot of downvotes I will check the negative reviews to see what people didn't like about it. A lot of the time there are legitimate, offputting criticisms of a game.

Most of the negative Gone Home reviews I skimmed were very angry, and mostly just about it being a "non-game." So, yeah, then you know to ignore them.

But most of the time they're a fine barometer to use as one part of your consideration of a game.

Zeliard

Maybe its the shallow/lack of actual gameplay and not the politics?

Kentucky Route Zero can be described in this way - 90% thumbs up

Stanley Parable can be described in this way - 94% thumbs up

Dear Esther can be described in this way - 82% thumbs up

Gone Home - 96% thumbs down

All of these games fall into the interactive story genre more than anything else. To think the extreme negative reaction to Gone Home isn't most significantly due to its subject matter rather than its gameplay style is fairly naive, frankly.

The game is more than that. If people think that's all the game amounts to then they are terrible people who can't find value in anything except thinking every little detail they weren't told about beforehand is a "shocking twist".
I didn't know anything about the game, other than it was a "walking simulator" or whatever. If not wanting to know what seems like an important plot point makes me a "terrible person," then so be it. ;)

LiK

All of these games fall into the interactive story genre more than anything else. To think the extreme negative reaction to Gone Home isn't most significantly due to its subject matter rather than its gameplay style is fairly naive, frankly.

yea, i don't understand the backlash Gone Home got compared to the titles you listed.

Teppic

Some games for you.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Awesomenauts -- MB-27AE3D1D992A9A0D - Taken by natertots
Stacking -- MB-203D7AF0DDACB940
Costume Quest -- MB-48C3FACF9E99918E
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-763E8BE961D3D6FD - Taken by BY2K
Sanctum 2 -- MB-18DE8D0F93911552 - Taken by Anilusion. 5 entrants total.
Super Meat Boy, Lone Survivor, Braid -- MB-22FC2EACCD80377B - Taken by thesaucetastic
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-6E3E5711986847FC
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-E10FCA0EF39AC6E6 - Taken by darkchewie
Psychonauts -- MB-FE6CAD5CA0F29374
VVVVVV -- MB-D5D44E0C6D5E79B9
Cave Story Plus -- MB-4084B81781DCD870

t1403584676z1.png

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Gone Home is also the only one among those that got any sort of "mainstream" attention. It was the only game on that list that you couldn't really avoid hearing about if you follow any sort of games media. The immediate reaction from people who were actively looking for the game was a lot more positive, but as time went on and more people tried it (who likely didn't try those other games listed) the reaction turned sour. Dear Esther gets the same sort of over the top negative backlash from random people who buy it during a Steam sale without knowing what the game is.

Bioshock Infinite is very similar in that way. It's not the worst shooter out there last year, it's just the only one played by a lot of people who hate shooters to begin with.

Is the Lego Movie game any good? The visuals look kinda gorgeous, and I've only ever played about 5 minutes of a Lego game before so I'm a bit curious about them.

Come to that, which of the previous ones might be worth my time? I've heard the Marvel one is fun, is that the best choice?

Do people actually trust thumbs up/down as an adequate measure of anything? I've certainly learned to ignore anything that resembles a "like" button.

More adequate to skim the comments themselves. Weed out the one line "Expected..."/"This game sucks!" reviews.

Lomax

So, the Kerbal deal is for $16.20? That makes four games I've spotted thus far that are more expensive in this sale than in previous ones.

Kerbal ($16.20 vs previous $13.79), New Vegas ($6.80 vs. previous $5), FTL ($4 vs. previous $2.50), and Just Cause 2 ($3 vs. previous $2.50).

Any others been spotted? Sort of weird how many games it's going on with.

Kerbal increased in base price, the 40% off discount is the same. The others vary a lot from sale to sale, we've seen Fallout some sales at 66% and others at 75%. But the cliché for the past few sales is that 66% is the new 75%, but we've seen quite a few 80% and up sales this year which is pretty cool.

mrgone

Gah, sorry guys. That was very inconsiderate of me. I thought a year old game was past the time limit on spoilers. Again, sorry.

With all these games popping up in sales years after release nowadays I'm not sure if there is a "limit" on spoilers. It's always going to be someone's first time at it, particularly in the sale threads. At the very least spoiler tagging things that could potentially hurt someone's experience with a older game is the neighbourly thing to do.

Smash88

Banned
CoD: Ghosts, CS:GO, etc.

CS: GO isn't bad.

But I knew this response would pop up. I'm not saying there are other games that aren't terrible that will be up on sale, this is just one of them I wanted to respond to since there was a giant sub-topic of it in this thread.

Yrael

Gone Home is a wonderful game. Unfortunately I had that particular plot detail spoiled for me too by someone who was complaining that it's
"just some dumb lesbian game that people only like because it's trying to be socially progressive" (ugh, such a horrible attitude to take)
, but it didn't really make much of a difference to me, knowing that information beforehand. It's incredibly grounded and...human. The music, the background details, the voice-overs, etc, all combine to create a lovely piece of storytelling. It's not a game for action-lovers, but will appeal to anyone who wants to sit back and slowly unravel a well-crafted story about human nature.

Jeremy

So what's everyone's opinion on Planet Explorers? I've seen people ask with no response and don't see it talked about much. It looks interesting at least.

Which is a damn shame. Nothing wrong with a
lesbian storyline, if that's what you mean - that's the only plot point I know about the game, per the spoiler that was dropped earlier in this thread
. If that's why it has been down-voted, people suck.

Uzzy

A year old game that all of us were thinking of buying?! Come the fuck on...even you are smarter than that!

Again, my apologies. My post was made in response to a question as to why there was such a backlash against it, which is why I mentioned that. I thought that a year old game that was widely discussed in the gaming press because of it's subject matter was past the spoiler limit.

Gone Home is great for what it is, I don't really care whether or not it's a "game" it was a very enjoyable way to spend 2 hours I thought

Know what would be entertaining. Someone make a thread titled "Gone Home is $3 on Steam right now" Watch the haters come out of the woodwork... P.S. sorta drunk

I desperately want Kentucky Route Zero, haven't played The Stanley Parable, and didn't like Dear Esther. We'll see how Gone Home fares.

Cyrano

I think it's a useful barometer, in that if a game has a lot of downvotes I will check the negative reviews to see what people didn't like about it. A lot of the time there are legitimate, offputting criticisms of a game.

Most of the negative Gone Home reviews I skimmed were very angry, and mostly just about it being a "non-game." So, yeah, then you know to ignore them.

But most of the time they're a fine barometer to use as one part of your consideration of a game.
I would generally disagree with anyone who is complacent in helping advertisers make more money than they already make. That said, I do not mind reading reviews, but that's a rather different matter altogether.

Free reviews for games also seem rather exploitative. Criticism for games in particular is weird... I guess due to its history, but I'm unsure how to stop that snowball at this point.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
For anyone looking to getting LEGO Movie, be warned it basically is the movie. So if you want to experience that fresh on it's own, watch the film and then play the game.

Gah, sorry guys. That was very inconsiderate of me. I thought a year old game was past the time limit on spoilers. Again, sorry.

The trick is to consider context. If you are in a location, well a thread, where there is a good chance someone may not have experienced it before or people are asking if it's any good or not, best to assume that it unknown and use the spoiler tags.

It's not even a game. It's more like an interactive story telling experience you would find at your local museum, where would would have digital trips to explore dinosaurs.

This "game" is terrible, sad to see it take a slot where other more meaningful and better games could be on sale.

Understandable if you didn't like it, but I do say that's unfair to say it's not a game.

There are goals, there is a mission, there is a win requirement and hell, one could even "speed run it". Aye more story than anything, but interaction through piercing together a story does not take away from being a game.
The fact two people of two different mindsets could find differing amounts of clues and get different levels of understanding of the full story makes for different experiences where as something as watching "The Age of the Dinosaurs" where it's the same no matter also weighs in on this.

This isn't The 39 Steps where it's all straight forward that doesn't really require you to do anything and you could still get the full experience.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I quite enjoyed my time with Gone Home and I have been one to trash virtual novels before. It's actually helped be more open minded with games. Except David Cage games, of course. :)

I didn't know anything about the game, other than it was a "walking simulator" or whatever. If not wanting to know what seems like an important plot point makes me a "terrible person," then so be it. ;)

It's not really a spoiler to Gone Home though, I mean sure one of the main plot lines but it's almost like saying Spec Ops being about soldiers in Dubai is a spoiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom