• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Minerva's Den. It was definitely much better than the main BioShock 2 story, which I thought tried to hit you on the head with notion that "THIS STORY IS A SERIOUS CONCEPT PLEASE TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.” The pacing was a little fast, considering they tried to cram all the plasmids/tonics into a much shorter time frame. The voice acting was great, and the motivations behind the main antagonist were much better than the main story. And dat ending. I just wished the game wouldn't crash every 5 minutes.
7.5/10

Now on to play something I picked up in the sale.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Civilization 3 -- MB-9366CF0A6BD6E1CE - Taken by fuzzy123. 7 entrants total.
To the Moon -- MB-07D74E2464B970B0 - Taken by Dr.Acula. 10 entrants total.

t1403591972z1.png

Just finished Minerva's Den. It was definitely much better than the main BioShock 2 story, which I thought tried to hit you on the head with notion that "THIS STORY IS A SERIOUS CONCEPT PLEASE TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.” The pacing was a little fast, considering they tried to cram all the plasmids/tonics into a much shorter time frame. The voice acting was great, and the motivations behind the main antagonist were much better than the main story. And dat ending. I just wished the game wouldn't crash every 5 minutes.
7.5/10

I still need to play Minevrva's Den. Bioshock 2 was never given a chance when Ken Levine was announced as not being a part of it. Better gameplay.

Anustart

Who's ready for Mars to top off their steam wallets??

There's too many games I want! Wolf Among Us, Pac man, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider...

What does the all you can eat edition offer over dx?

Dr.Acula

Banned
Heh. Crafted a card for the blue team ;)

I really don't buy the social media/reddit effect. It wouldn't be that organised, and it certainly wouldn't achieve the critical mass to swing the contest so uniformly.

There's something else going on.

I was shocked to see Blue doing so well. I hope it doesn't go all pear-shaped in the 11th hour.

I still need to play Minevrva's Den. Bioshock 2 was never given a chance when Ken Levine was announced as not being a part of it. Better gameplay

For BioShock 2? In my opinion, I thought that the gameplay of 1 was better. In 2 they were a little too enemy happy and just threw endless hordes of them at you. And since the game can't handle that many bodies on screen, many of the corpses turn into lockboxes so you can get your loot, which is kind of awkward.

Ibuki

Banned
Who's ready for Mars to top off their steam wallets??

There's too many games I want! Wolf Among Us, Pac man, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider...

What does the all you can eat edition offer over dx?

How are you not blocked from the Market? I only used one Mars card and I am blocked until the 28th.

natertots

Man I'm so tempted to buy Metal Gear Rising again. I played through it in the ps3 when it first came out. It has to be one of my favorite games last console gen. Does the pc version offer anything different from the console versions?

It's damn good. Like Castlevania-ish with random generation. You can pay a price to keep it from re-randomizing too so you can get to the bosses more intact.
YESSS! It's so fucking charming and whimsical. Great music, great gameplay, very addictive.

It's pretty much an action platformer RPG, where you die a lot, but your character's progressively upgrade their abilities as you die, making slightly more progress into the castle with each life.
You move through sections of a castle, each one harder than the last and at the end of each one is a boss. You'll die frequently, you get to spend money on upgrades in between deaths.

It's a really good game. 4 bucks is a steal.
It's a great game. You proceed through a castle slowly building up your character as you go. You die a lot but money you obtain carries with you to use for upgrades. You then enter the castle again with no money and do it again. Sounds repetitive but it's a shit ton of fun. And hard.
It's a hack and slash dungeon type game. It starts hard, but when you die, you can buy upgrades using the money you acquired, then start again using an "heir" - you get to pick from three, all with randomized traits and classes, both good and bad. And you do it over and over until you beat all the bosses. The dungeon itself is partly randomized: there are four areas in the same general vicinities, but the rooms and monsters get mixed up.
I'm sure other people will give you descriptions of what the game is about but I highly recommend watching this video. I watched it before I bought it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X4NqB-7ev0

And don't feel like you have to watch the whole thing to understand what the game is about.
It is definitely worth it. One of the best games released last year IMO. It feels like Castlevania with everything randomly generated. No two playthroughs are ever alike.
Game is SUPER addictive if you like Metroidvania type games. Great gameplay, and the idea of the game is very interesting. I'm gonna double dip once it hits Vita.
WOW at all of the instant, enthusiastic responses (hope I didn't miss anyone).

Only thing I'm not sure about is the random aspect. How does that work?

When you say there's a way to pay to make it less random, does that mean DLC using real world currency or are we talking about fake game money?

Thanks for the video link. Going to take a look now.

nbthedude

Man if you have 2-4 friends to play with Forced us a mother fucking amazing game. Really forces you to coop like almost no other game. Very impressed.

Anustart

How are you not blocked from the Market? I only used one Mars card and I am blocked until the 28th.

I dunno. First two times I just bought games outright and didmt add to wallet, third time I added to wallet with no block. Question, if you're blocked from market, is that community market only, or can you not spend any wallet funds at all?

Facism

right i nuked the keys that apparently weren't claimed a year ago for a new giveaway. If they come up as redeemed, i apologise. There is nothing via the modbot system that indicates that anyone had claimed them.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Trine 2 Complete -- MB-9951757A68679C5A
Brutal Legend -- MB-D92B4A6AACB0E8BE - Taken by CmdrShepard. 8 entrants total.

t1403582766z1.png

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Man I'm so tempted to buy Metal Gear Rising again. I played through it in the ps3 when it first came out. It has to be one of my favorite games last console gen. Does the pc version offer anything different from the console versions?

A silky smooth framerate and a ridiculous amount of cutting. Also, all the DLC is included.

Ibuki

Banned
I dunno. First two times I just bought games outright and didmt add to wallet, third time I added to wallet with no block. Question, if you're blocked from market, is that community market only, or can you not spend any wallet funds at all?

Community market only. I even tested it and was able to add $5 steam wallet and still buy games. I can't sell my cards but oh well, I'm done worrying about that at least I can buy shit. :)

You must not have been around when Sleeping Dogs came out then.

I did play sleeping dogs for awhile but the gameplay wasn't interesting enough to keep me going. I was probably already burnt by open world game at that time.

However for those frenzy just cause 2 MP mod gifs, I feel like I want to jump right back into it again. I'm partial to stupid dumb fun occasionally ;)

rtcn63

The final boss of MGSR is
Tom, the script editor for every single MGS in existence, particularly the ones yet to be made. Not to be confused with the anthropomorphic sociopath.

MikeDown

Banned
You have to applaud the guy's dedication and creativity in some of his reviews.
I don't really care for him personally, especially after his ME3 video and how ridiculous that was. But the way he dresses up and like you said, his creativity is a neat thing to see and adds personality to his reviews.

7.5/10

have you tried running it in direct9 mode? I'm currently playing the main story for bioshock 2(will be playing minerva's den after) and it was crashing for me randomly(say every ~20 minutes or so)

forced it to run in dx9 and 0 crashes since

For BioShock 2? In my opinion, I thought that the gameplay of 1 was better. In 2 they were a little too enemy happy and just threw endless hordes of them at you. And since the game can't handle that many bodies on screen, many of the corpses turn into lockboxes so you can get your loot, which is kind of awkward.

It's been a while since I played 2. I remember hacking being better, weapon mods, plasmids, etc.

famfrit

It was my overall game of the year 2013 and will make my top 10 for 2014 as well. Thank you Steam release.

Hype increases !!!!!!

But cant play it now, already playing Demon Souls , maybe i can buy the game if the price goes down in the last day :). Anyway, thanks for the advice

antitrop

It's been a while since I played 2. I remember hacking being better, weapon mods, plasmids, etc.
I still think Bioshock 1 is the better game. Much of the gameplay is improved for 2, but the story did aaaaaaaaaaaaabsolutely nothing for me at all, couldn't have possibly cared less about it.

And Bioshock's introduction to Rapture alone makes it better than 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom