• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saad

It took me only an hour to finish Gone Home, the story line felt like a young adult novel, which isn't my cup of tea. Good thing I only paid $3 for it.

rtcn63

Hey, it's dupes

820717006.jpg

BigDug13

Rogue Legacy worth it? The screenshots look right up my alley. But what kind of game is it exactly? I have no real concept of what a "Rogue Lite" is. Yes, I realize that's a popular PC genre, but it's one I've never knowingly dabbled in.

It's damn good. Like Castlevania-ish with random generation. You can pay a price to keep it from re-randomizing too so you can get to the bosses more intact.

antitrop

Rogue Legacy worth it? The screenshots look right up my alley. But what kind of game is it exactly? I have no real concept of what a "Rogue Lite" is. Yes, I realize that's a popular PC genre, but it's one I've never knowingly dabbled in.

YESSS! It's so fucking charming and whimsical. Great music, great gameplay, very addictive.

It's pretty much an action platformer RPG, where you die a lot, but your character's progressively upgrade their abilities as you die, making slightly more progress into the castle with each life.

Turfster

I'm OK with that for the most part. No Man's Sky is consolified too, but it's my most anticipated game right now.

Eh, there's a difference.
We know nothing about how No Man's Sky is going to play, for example, apart from some vague generalities, while X Rebirth tried to basically fit everything X3 did on a 360 controller (hint: they failed rather badly)

-MD-

You move through sections of a castle, each one harder than the last and at the end of each one is a boss. You'll die frequently, you get to spend money on upgrades in between deaths.

It's a really good game. 4 bucks is a steal.

Kadin

It's a great game. You proceed through a castle slowly building up your character as you go. You die a lot but money you obtain carries with you to use for upgrades. You then enter the castle again with no money and do it again. Sounds repetitive but it's a shit ton of fun. And hard.

It's a hack and slash dungeon type game. It starts hard, but when you die, you can buy upgrades using the money you acquired, then start again using an "heir" - you get to pick from three, all with randomized traits and classes, both good and bad. And you do it over and over until you beat all the bosses. The dungeon itself is partly randomized: there are four areas in the same general vicinities, but the rooms and monsters get mixed up.

I'm sure other people will give you descriptions of what the game is about but I highly recommend watching this video. I watched it before I bought it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X4NqB-7ev0

And don't feel like you have to watch the whole thing to understand what the game is about.

So I have to chose one: Prime Defenders, Pixeljunk bundle, Mitsurugi Kamui, or Midnight Club 2 GAF?

I finished Mitsurig Kamui Hikae two days ago. I can tell you for 2,50$ its okay, but you can finish it in like under 1 hour. After that you can try it on hard, but the gameplay mechanics arent really as full-fledged as a normal action game like DmC or even Darksiders.

It is fun for the 1 hour I played it, but I would play it any longer than that. It offers not enough variety.

It is definitely worth it. One of the best games released last year IMO. It feels like Castlevania with everything randomly generated. No two playthroughs are ever alike.

legacyzero

Banned

Game is SUPER addictive if you like Metroidvania type games. Great gameplay, and the idea of the game is very interesting. I'm gonna double dip once it hits Vita.

How can you say Gone Home isn't overrated? The GOTY kind of praise it gets doesn't even make sense before you can agree with it or not because it's not a game. It is a graphic novel minus the novel, because it's only a short story. You can like its story, but you have to be real that it's just an art piece, a statement. It is missing entire dimensions of what people play games for. I saw people responding to Proteus and Dear Esther in a reasonable manner for such an experience, but for some reason Gone Home and now The Stanley Parable seem to be getting too high of acclaim with too few disclaimers attached.

Gone Home definitely isn't GOTY material in my opinion, but I have zero idea why people have such a massive problem with these """walking simulator""" story games. They tell stories with a fairly dense amount of writing and/or VO, and allow the player to take their own pace and explore everything they want to. Sure, it's storytelling-as-treasure-hunt, and there's not much in the way of mechanics in most of them, but the genre still offers something slightly different than any other narrative mediums do (and before anyone picks at this - not better, different).

Nobody is obligated to like them but I don't understand why Gone Home and Dear Esther make people so fucking mad.

Sofa King

We know nothing about how No Man's Sky is going to play, for example, apart from some vague generalities, while X Rebirth tried to basically fit everything X3 did on a 360 controller (hint: they failed rather badly)

Not sure even what this game is. Exploring is all I've seen, and an infinite world is cool, but I need more.

legacyzero

Banned

Ahhh I see. I never played any of the X games, but that sounds a bit frustrating.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think at the peak, the cheapest sets were 68 cents or so, now they have dropped back to the low 50's, closer to the non sale value.

Oh, you're talking games. I thought you were talking the summer badge. :(

I still don't really want to pay for card to complete badges, but getting booster packs at level 10-11 is nearly impossible now a days. :/

Ezalc

I finished Mitsurig Kamui Hikae two days ago. I can tell you for 2,50$ its okay, but you can finish it in like under 1 hour. After that you can try it on hard, but the gameplay mechanics arent really as full-fledged as a normal action game like DmC or even Darksiders.

It is fun for the 1 hour I played it, but I would play it any longer than that. It offers not enough variety.

Thanks for the input, I took it out of the running now then. Have you played any of the others I mentioned?

Miguel81

All this DMC4 talk is good. Now if Capcom would place the HD versions of the first 3, and get rid of that broken DMC3 I'd be a happy customer.

I have a few duplicate keys from humble. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-ED93FD4A962E8B23
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-87887280C68FBDBB - Taken by DJSebolski

t1403591471z1.png

Can anyone help me? I bought Castle Crashers 4 pack and gave to my friends. We crash like crazy on this game. Is there a patch? Can we fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Since this thread is moving fast im going to ask again: is gone home supposed to be some sort of system pusher? Because i dont get why i cant get this game to lock @ 60 fps. Gonna try a system reboot to see if that helps any.

it seems the game has some performance issues. i was dropping frames in a certain part of the house while playing on an i5-3570k and 2gb gtx680

plus if you go here http://steamcommunity.com/app/232430/discussions/1/ youll see other people reporting the same thing. apparently max-settings are really demanding

3phemeral

But neither game has anything on Metal Gear Rising's bosses. ;)

Gah, you're only making this worse with all these games I have backlogged. First Steam gamifying their sales and now NeoGAF peer pressure!

Adds another game to his wishlist.

[edit]

All those MGR giveaways I skipped out on... T_T

Oh, you're talking games. I thought you were talking the summer badge. :(

I still don't really want to pay for card to complete badges, but getting booster packs at level 10-11 is nearly impossible now a days. :/

Haha, oops, just realised I put non-steam instead of non-summer in my OP! No wonder it was slightly confusing. Damn distractions when posting.

Speevy

Banned
So can someone tell me more about Early Access games?

If the developer puts out a final build that boots to black for everyone, do the buyers get a refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom