• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakkue

WOW at all of the instant, enthusiastic responses (hope I didn't miss anyone).

Only thing I'm not sure about is the random aspect. How does that work?

When you say there's a way to pay to make it less random, does that mean DLC using real world currency or are we talking about fake game money?

Thanks for the video link. Going to take a look now.

There's an NPC you can unlock (costs you ingame money you find during your play), that locks down the layout of the castle when you ask him to. If you don't use this NPC (he is called "The architect" btw), the castle will always be completely different in every run.

antitrop

Need ask: you played the Demon/Dark Souls ?

Never finished Demon's Souls, but Dark Souls is one of my favorite games ever. If a PC port of DeS was ever possible, I would definitely finish it on that, but ya know, Sony owns it and all and I put my PS3 away for good.

have you tried running it in direct9 mode? I'm currently playing the main story for bioshock 2(will be playing minerva's den after) and it was crashing for me randomly(say every ~20 minutes or so)

forced it to run in dx9 and 0 crashes since
Dang. I wish I knew that earlier. Oh well.

It's been a while since I played 2. I remember hacking being better, weapon mods, plasmids, etc.

I dunno. I kind of liked the pipe hacking from the first one. It required a little thought, vs the "land the needle in the zone" carnival game. The plasmids were better in 2, but the weapon sound effects were weaker compared to the first one, which made them not as fun to use. (I'm a stickler for good sound effects.)

I still think Bioshock 1 is the better game. Much of the gameplay is improved for 2, but the story did aaaaaaaaaaaaabsolutely nothing for me at all, couldn't have possibly cared less about it.

And Bioshock's introduction to Rapture alone makes it better than 2.

Don't get me wrong, Bioshock 1 is superior, but Bioshock 2 is not as bad as the hyperbole that some people have given it.

Kusagari

Man all this Rising talk is making me want to buy it, but I can't justify 15 bucks on a game I already played endlessly on 360.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is X05 ok? I havent seen his gigantic wall of recaps all day

WOW at all of the instant, enthusiastic responses (hope I didn't miss anyone).

Only thing I'm not sure about is the random aspect. How does that work?

For anyone who didn't want to look at the video link:

Let's say you die. Next turn, you can choose between (for example) a fighter with gigantism - sprite is bigger - and color blindness - game is in black and white - OR you can choose a wizard who has no pulse in his feet so ground spikes don't activate, but he's nearsighted so everythng beyond a certain radius is blurry; OR you can choose a paladin with ADHD (moves faster) but is gay (seemingly no effect.)

antitrop

Don't get me wrong, Bioshock 1 is superior, but Bioshock 2 is not as bad as the hyperbole that some people have given it.
Yeah, I just kind of have a bit of a backlash about it because of the plentiful amount of game reviews at launch trying to prove it better than the original.

Caused me to go in more skeptical than the game deserved to have me be. Infinite is my favorite of the 3, though. Controversial!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If I remember correctly it ran great on consoles. The dlc included is a bonus that is news to me. I'll be picking it up in the am. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, it ran great on consoles, but it also started chugging when you cut a things into hundreds and hundreds of pieces. On PC, that's not an issue.

Best Steam thread ever! Now I want to buy DMC4. Should I just beat Rising first since I already have that?

Do both!

Yeah, I just kind of have a bit of a backlash about it because of the plentiful amount of game reviews at launch trying to prove it better than the original.

Caused me to go in more skeptical than the game deserved to have me be. Infinite is my favorite of the 3, though. Controversial!

You still playing Titanfall? I played a few rounds a week or so ago under the influence of whiskey. Not a good idea, but I still had fun.

Dang. I wish I knew that earlier. Oh well.

I dunno. I kind of liked the pipe hacking from the first one. It required a little thought, vs the "land the needle in the zone" carnival game. The plasmids were better in 2, but the weapon sound effects were weaker compared to the first one, which made them not as fun to use. (I'm a stickler for good sound effects.)

it apparanelty has to do with the vram or something(i forget)

the options were to increase the amount the game uses or something or take a slight graphics hit and run it in dx9

famfrit

Never finished Demon's Souls, but Dark Souls is one of my favorite games ever. If a PC port of DeS was ever possible, I would definitely finish it on that, but ya know, Sony owns it and all and I put my PS3 away for good.

Okay, good taste detected :) .

But, I will wait the game become very cheap because have soo many games here that I need finish... and Pokemon R/S is coming !

Ultimadrago

I prefer Bioshock 2's weapons, design (especially for traps), security modules (because fuck Pipe Dream) and pacing of the story. The largest caveat I place with the main story is the binary approach to morality (an issue the original also faces).

Besides that, the only things it lacks from the first are Andrew Ryan and the initial take of Rapture. Story is far more consistent that the shit drop that takes place in the first title, though it never reaches the weight of the infamous Andrew confrontation.

Sober

So can someone tell me more about Early Access games?

If the developer puts out a final build that boots to black for everyone, do the buyers get a refund?
No dev would push a build out if it didn't at least work on their end, if that's what you're wondering. Which means it'll likely work on someone else's end most of the time.

If you mean they push a build, it crashes for everyone in a predictable way and they don't fix it, not sure. Might have to look into the laws on your end if you get a refund. But are we talking about hypotheticals or we talking about a specific game? Because if that were the case there would've been a huge shitstorm.

antitrop

You still playing Titanfall? I played a few rounds a week or so ago under the influence of whiskey. Not a good idea, but I still had fun.

I got frustrated with the Regeneration requirements and gave it up a while ago. Still one of the best games I've played this year, though, I got 100 great hours out of it.

I just completed Trine 2's story with a friend. To celebrate, here's a chance for you to play it as well!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Trine 2 -- MB-762A64297F81C37C

t1403583567z1.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Please give us Murdered Soul Suspect.

I got frustrated with the Regeneration requirements and gave it up a while ago. Still one of the best games I've played this year, though, I got 100 great hours out of it.

I understand that. I still prefer it's game play to BF4 and COD. I played the BF Hardline beta the other day and I found myself trying to run on walls. I just love the feel and pace of things in Titanfall.

Ostinatto

The idea is that you use all the money in your previous life to give yourself permanent upgrades going forward.

Dying is progression.

Buy as many upgrades as you can before entering the door.

You spend all your time grinding for new upgrades and getting stronger and stronger, it has many game design flaws but a good game once you understand the mechanics.

Welcome to roguelikes.

Check how much money you need for upgrades and make every run into the castle count. Spend as much as possible on the keep and new weapons/runes since Charon takes most of it away from you again.

Your character will get stronger with each run, your skills will get better with each run and you'll make it deeper and deeper into the castle.

Oh, now i get it. thanks :)

The pipe hacking in Bioshock 1 was what brought it down from a perect game for me. It interrupts the flow of the game, especially in combat and gets old fast.

Speevy

Banned
No dev would push a build out if it didn't at least work on their end, if that's what you're wondering. Which means it'll likely work on someone else's end most of the time.

If you mean they push a build, it crashes for everyone in a predictable way and they don't fix it, not sure. Might have to look into the laws on your end if you get a refund. But are we talking about hypotheticals or we talking about a specific game? Because if that were the case there would've been a huge shitstorm.

Hypotheticals, but there is a game I'm playing and every time I fall down into this specific valley, I can't get back up again. I have to restart. It seems like something that may or may not be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom