• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saganator

After seeing the thumbs rating on Gone Home, I think this system is not full proof for recommendations.

I just watched the trailer video it has definitely come a long ways. The people who have already paid full price are likely to vote it up because the game appealed to them. I doubt someone use to AAA games will thumps up Planet Explorers, just like they probably didn't thumbs up Gone Home, the only difference is PE never got the all exposure that Gone Home received. The 98% thumps up at least says the game managed to not suck so bad that it pissed people off on their first play session.

Nothing interesting about overly-glorified walking simulator with below-average story and characters to even care.

I felt cheated when I bought it for more than 3 bucks and played it. It's the most overrated indie game to ever surface on steam.

ummm-no.gif

Sofa King

Okay Borderlands 2 is hella fun but I just used my golden key by accident...

I quit the game fast thinking it wouldn't save, reloaded and found out that it had and now the guns it spawned was gone. I'm so stupid.

Oh well.

Out of curiosity, which character class did you choose to start?

3phemeral

DMC4 is amazing. I was watching my partner play it and some of the boss designs are incredible. Especially that one where you're
in the network, fighting the newscaster whose head comprises of dozens of 2D-projections of ongoing news footage that's been molded into the shape of his head.

rtcn63

DMC4 is amazing. I was watching my partner play it and some of the boss designs are incredible. Especially that one where you're
in the network, fighting the newscaster whose head comprises of dozens of 2D-projections of news footage molded into the shape of his head.

Er... isn't that DmC, the reboot?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
in the network, fighting the newscaster whose head comprises of dozens of 2D-projections of news footage molded into the shape of his head.

That's not DMC4. That's DmC. But you are right. DMC4 is amazing.

legacyzero

Banned
Kinda hoping X-Rebirth goes on sale again now that I have the money. I need a decent game in space.

I hear it's quite buggy though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
well just sent the keys to modbot, will post.

We can give origin keys away as well, ya? I've still got all the origin keys from that humble origin giveaway LOL

Yes. Just make sure to designate as (Origin) so Modbot gives the Origin logo to it.

(Also stop avoiding me. :p)

Facism

bah looks like trine and brutal legend are still in the system no info on them in my loot or showing up as being taken in the original gift post. where's the help thread?

ModBot said:
Instructions for Facism:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bastion -- MB-209B24DF15EB3097 - Taken by Youta Mottenai. 6 entrants total.
RocketBirds -- MB-B20759FDA8073872 - Taken by Fjord. 3 entrants total.
A Virus Named Tom -- MB-9CE4EE950509C71A - Taken by Speevy. 2 entrants total.

t1403580719z1.png

antitrop

in the network, fighting the newscaster whose head comprises of dozens of 2D-projections of ongoing news footage that's been molded into the shape of his head.

DMC4 is good, yes, but you're describing the best boss fight of DmC. ;)

Shade

Some unused keys from previous giveaways, enjoy!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ravensword Shadowlands #2 -- MB-FA4BE39EC9C9C1BE - Taken by Miniboss. 5 entrants total.
shattered haven #2 -- MB-C2CEE546EE51D6C0 - Taken by bluechox2. 4 entrants total.
Crusader Kings II Dynasty Shields DLC Pack -- MB-DAD108A14AA3B79C - Taken by tylerf. 5 entrants total.
shattered haven -- MB-C2CEE546EE51D6C0 - Taken by bluechox2. 4 entrants total.
Crusader Kings II Dynasty Shield II -- MB-B93D00B80C124543 - Taken by tylerf. 2 entrants total.
Crusader Kings II Songs of the Caliph DLC -- MB-5C6716E1C9715EC8
Crusader Kings II Songs of Byzantium -- MB-32306E900A8F6D6B
Crusader Kings II African Portraits -- MB-7E03B3E3F6636084
Crusader Kings II Songs of the Holy Land DLC -- MB-19B471553BBBFE6E - Taken by thequickandthedead. 3 entrants total.
Ravensword Shadowlands -- MB-FA4BE39EC9C9C1BE - Taken by Miniboss. 5 entrants total.
Crusader Kings II Songs of Albion DLC -- MB-B7306C6D61B072FE
Crusader Kings II Byzantine Unit Pack -- MB-4041E3C3A9411CB8
Crusader Kings II Mongols DLC Pack -- MB-7EBE44BEC026965A

t1403580969z1.png

Chocobro

Just a reminder. I would've done it earlier but I was playing a game.
ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Telltale Games (from HumbleBundle, no TWD) -- MB-65CE781A4F9438C5 - Taken by gaiadyne. 30 entrants total.
Bastion -- MB-FEE70C5EE140B57E - Taken by InvisibleStride. 12 entrants total.
Natural Selection 2 -- MB-E5BFFF5048916DBC - Taken by xptoxyz. 9 entrants total.
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-C0900761AC850418 - Taken by SpinDasher. 14 entrants total.
Hitman: Blood Money -- MB-7D01B074AEF68B6C - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 29 entrants total.

t1403581565z1.png

PBalfredo

I recommend Gone Home for anyone interested in it. It's short and sweet and just right for $3. It's dense with objects and tidbits to investigate and there's satisfaction playing amateur detective to piece together the chain of events for each family member. You'll likely knock it out in one sitting, but honestly, isn't that better than paying more for a lengthy game that will just sit unplayed in your backlog forever?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
How can you say Gone Home isn't overrated? The GOTY kind of praise it gets doesn't even make sense before you can agree with it or not because it's not a game. It is a graphic novel minus the novel, because it's only a short story. You can like its story, but you have to be real that it's just an art piece, a statement. It is missing entire dimensions of what people play games for. I saw people responding to Proteus and Dear Esther in a reasonable manner for such an experience, but for some reason Gone Home and now The Stanley Parable seem to be getting too high of acclaim with too few disclaimers attached.

Since this thread is moving fast im going to ask again: is gone home supposed to be some sort of system pusher? Because i dont get why i cant get this game to lock @ 60 fps. Gonna try a system reboot to see if that helps any.

I cracked and bought Nether, anyone else having issues logging in after creating an account?

They are having trouble dealing with all of the new players.

Since this thread is moving fast im going to ask again: is gone home supposed to be some sort of system pusher? Because i dont get why i cant get this game to lock @ 60 fps. Gonna try a system reboot to see if that helps any.

Not really, lots of Hi-Rez textures though.

antitrop

How can you say Gone Home isn't overrated? The GOTY kind of praise it gets doesn't even make sense before you can agree with it or not because it's not a game. It is a graphic novel minus the novel, because it's only a short story. You can like its story, but you have to be real that it's just an art piece, a statement. It is missing entire dimensions of what people play games for. I saw people responding to Proteus and Dear Esther in a reasonable manner for such an experience, but for some reason Gone Home and now The Stanley Parable seem to be getting too high of acclaim with too few disclaimers attached.

I thought Gone Home was one of the most interesting games I played last year and I would at least recommend anyone to try it, but yeah, Polygon and Adam Sessler giving it their GOTY is absolutely fucking insane.

Adam Sessler even more so, after he spent so much time in his reviews for Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, and GTA V drooling over the games, and then he gives his GOTY to... Gone Home. Just to make a point. Fuck that.

3phemeral

Yeah, DmC is the latest one. It came out early last year. DMC4 was early 2008.

If DMC4 has anything like that boss fight, I'd play it just to marvel at it. I don't really ever recall being blown away by a boss fight like that in quite a while. I'll have to look into possibly grabbing myself a copy then.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
If DMC4 has anything like that boss fight, I'd play it just to marvel at it. I don't really ever recall being blown away by a boss fight like that in quite a while. I'll have to look into possibly grabbing myself a copy then.

DMC4 its way better.

antitrop

DMC4's bosses give DmC's bosses atomic wedgies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

DMC4 is pretty different from DmC. DmC is a reboot that is more focused on spectacle. DMC4 is more focused on gameplay. You're not going to see the same tone or use of color in DMC4.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Love this game, someone else needs to play it.

Saints Row IV Giveaway
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Saints Row IV -- MB-C8F6E2908AA53B90 - Taken by RunWhiteBoyRun

Rogue Legacy worth it? The screenshots look right up my alley. But what kind of game is it exactly? I have no real concept of what a "Rogue Lite" is. Yes, I realize that's a popular PC genre, but it's one I've never knowingly dabbled in.

It was EXTREMELY overrated. I remember not being able to listen to any gaming podcast for about a month and a half without hearing "OMG, GONE HOME IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!" It really put me off getting it. I waited and kept hearing about it. It was finally on sale somewhere for like 7 bucks and I bought it because I thought $20 was way too much for a indie game that was apparently short.

Once I played it, I really did enjoy it, but nowhere near "BEST GAME EVER" status. It was a fun 2 hour game that I enjoyed. Can't go wrong with this sale at this price now, but if I would have paid $20 for it, I would have been disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom