• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheezyMac88

toawal.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the stanley parable's menu sounds are too satisfying

can I just do this? I already played the mod a lot

let me be with my keyboard signs

"salsa just wanted to idle in the main menu"

"so salsa did...he idled...and he idled. Suddenly salsa looked over his shoulder"

"it was a 3ds"

"salsa knew if he got up to play his 3ds he would be shamed by Neogaf, so salsa decided to keep idling in the Stanley Parable menus"

"salsa was bored, he looked down and noticed he was lacking a penis"

"salsa was in fact, a girl"

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Trine 2 -- MB-762A64297F81C37C - Taken by Ventara. 6 entrants total.

t1403583567z1.png

First come first serve now!

Speevy

Banned
I think some people are either locked out of these giveaways or Modbot isn't updating, because I entered a few of these leftover raffles and got no email.

DogMeat77

I'm trying really hard to enjoy Stanley Parable. I normally love the story driven narrative games but man... I'm struggling. Maybe a few more endings will tickle my fancy. Come on Stanley!

Frank Fontaine
grew up in vaudevillian theatre, I'm pretty sure his overdramatics are purposeful. He even fakes his own death.
Dude is a giant cliche, but on purpose.

I guess after dealing with Ryan for the first 3/4's of the game, having a dude yell in my ear telling me how evil he was left me cold. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first Bioshock...but story wise the last quarter of the game is a little bit of a drag.

Ultimadrago

I thought Lamb was a horrible antagonist. It was like a bad stereotype of collectivist people, I thought she was absolutely ridiculous. Yes, Andrew Ryan was a caricature too, but I've met some (borderline) batshit insane libertarianists/objectivists that'd probably do almost the same stuff Ryan would in his situation. Lamb felt like more of a pantomime villain, a sort of "red threat" meant to compensate the political slant of the first game.

EDIT: Gameplay-wise, it's better than Bioshock 1, no questions asked.

Frank Fontaine is the main antagonist of Bioshock 1 though. Ryan doesn't even get that honor and while we see his handiwork through the environments. As an actual antagonist, by the time the player visits Rapture, his working actions are extremely null. Lamb was a mother first and her vendetta with Delta is personal before all else. Her collectivist philosophy is but a vehicle to show how she rallied a Rapture in its post-Ryan chaos. While important, connecting it to her attitudes towards her family is the foremost concept in her character. She raised a theory to create order in her past and then focuses on the player personally to continue on.

Andrew Ryan, on the other hand, is nothing but his ideals which makes him a much more despicable version of caricature in my mind. He is presented fairly well for what he is (along as his writing on the wall in terms of Rapture's birth), to be fair. However, a character of such importance to be given such a petty role compared to the godawful Fontaine and given such a lame link to the character (mind control being the most cartoonish connection to objectivism's stance) makes for a double jeopardy in terms of antagonists.

Frank Fontaine is the worst by far though. 90's cartoon villain bad.

Baffling how inane the character is.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm trying really hard to enjoy Stanley Parable. I normally love the story driven narrative games but man... I'm struggling. Maybe a few more endings will tickle my fancy. Come on Stanley!

I loved it but can see how its not for everyone

Sera O

Banned
DMC4 is amazing despite the repeated levels, just on the depth and refinement of the combat. I guess it can get away with it since when you see levels again you have a different set of tools. It's also a really good port; well worth the six bucks.

Were other Capcom games made on MT framework ported that well? It's really too bad DMC3 got such shoddy treatment.

antitrop

I guess after dealing with Ryan for the first 3/4's of the game. Having a dude yelling in my ear telling me how evil he was left me cold. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first Bioshock...but story wise the last quarter of the game is a little bit of a drag.
Yeah, sure, I don't think it's the greatest ending quarter, either. The only thing I remember about the last quarter of Bioshock was
whacking Andrew Ryan with a golf club

DMC4 is amazing despite the repeated levels, just on the depth and refinement of the combat. I guess it can get away with it since when you see levels again you have a different set of tools. It's also a really good port; well worth the six bucks.

Were other Capcom games made on MT framework ported that well? It's really too bad DMC3 got such shoddy treatment.
Resident Evil 5, Both Lost Planets (pretty sure they were good), RE:Revelaitons and RE6? They're all praised for being damn good ports IIRC.

Rhaknar

yes. RE5, RE6, DmC, Lost Planet games, Dead Rising games, SSF4 all run great

Rhaknar

I think I'm going to try again tomorrow. I love games like Dear Esther, Gone Home, etc. I might just be in a bad mood lol.

i hated dear esther and loved stanley. Havent played Gone Home or Jazzpunk yet

I thought Lamb was a horrible antagonist. It was like a bad stereotype of collectivist people, I thought she was absolutely ridiculous. Yes, Andrew Ryan was a caricature too, but I've met some (borderline) batshit insane libertarianists/objectivists that'd probably do almost the same stuff Ryan would in his situation. Lamb felt like more of a pantomime villain, a sort of "red threat" meant to compensate the political slant of the first game.

Lamb wasn't the antagonist. The antagonistic force is your daughter growing up. Bioshock 2 is the story of a young woman growing up and her relationship with her mother (Lamb) and her father (you).

Sera O

Banned
Resident Evil 5, Both Lost Planets (pretty sure they were good), RE:Revelaitons and RE6? They're all praised for being damn good ports IIRC.

yes. RE5, RE6, DmC, Lost Planet games, Dead Rising games, SSF4 all run great

Then. . . it would be damn cool if they ported Dragon's Dogma. That game would be absolutely amazing on PC with some spit and polish - just imagining it makes me happy.

Anyone have Spec-Ops on Mac and have any tips for fixing crashing/graphical issues?
The game crashes really frequently, but when I manage to get to gameplay it runs fine on everything from very low to very high settings except the graphics are super fucked up no matter what. There are a bunch of missing effects and these flickering, blocky black pixels everywhere. I'm updating my OS to Mavericks, but even before I met the minimum system requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom