• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

SugarDave

Ubisoft also did Onimusha 3.

DMC3 is an incredible game, and it's unfortunate that it got the port treatment it did, but yeah I'd still recommend it to people if they are willing to do a little legwork to get it running properly.

Interesting. If it's fixable, I might buy the 3+4 bundle on the last day then.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
My list continues to grow! Oh man, where do I even start playing?

Ventara

...no, no they are not. In fact, its the complete opposite. If you are talking about the steam community thumbs up thing, then...then I have no more stakes in this conversation im afraid

Really? I've eyed this game a few times, but the negative reviews (yes, from the Steam thumbs thing; sorry if that was ignorant of me) pushed me away, since I still had a bunch of games similar to it to play. Maybe I should give it a second look.

Wow, now I feel stupid.

Edit: Wait, the user score kinda sucks. I assume it's one of those polarizing games where you either love it or hate it?

Sajjaja

I just missed a Dark Souls 2 giveaway....

fRhSD.gif

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Has there ever been a time in which a community choice loser becomes a flash sale/daily deal? Because $4 for a bunch of Pacman games was a great opportunity.

I don't remember it happening during this sale but it happened quite a bit in the last couple of sales. I wouldn't be surprised to see many of the losers actually get a flash/daily later this week.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Whatever happened to Night Dive's NOLF teases?

It wasn't a tease per se. Fox owns the games themselves; the question that has plagued the possibility of a digital re-release is who owns the trademarks. Night Dive's filing will either force the existing owner to come out of the woodwork or ultimately award the trademarks to Night Dive itself, the latter looking more and more likely as time goes on, however the ball won't start rolling until August.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not to tell anyone how to giveaway games (because it was afterall a great giveaway), but a Dark Souls 2 (or a game of its calibre) giveaway without at least a short 15min raffle doesnt seem like the best idea, for future reference. At least give peeps a chance to enter, and not just "blink and you missed it". seems like something more suited for bundle games which isnt a big deal if you missed them or not

then again I hate those twitter giveaways and whatnot so /shrug

Eusis

4chan destroyed the game because it has a lesbian in it.

Go figure.
I'd really like to see the review numbers for that one. It just seems sort of crazy to have THAT extreme of a downvote. You'd think otherwise it'd just be something like 50% downvotes, not an outright inversion of other "non-games."

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My gamepad refuses to work properly with most games. I might have to suck it up and try to configure my DualShock 3 to work with my PC somehow, although last time I tried that I got too confused and quit.

Sleeping Dogs and Fallout were definitely a steal at $5. Never would have tried them otherwise.

Go figure.

That wasn't why it was rated a low score. It was rated a low score because people were mad everyone was giving it GAME of the year and even if you want to consider it a game when it's not actually one it should definitely not be game of the year. Even people who liked it have been agreeing with that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I'm working on getting Enhanced Steam up to snuff on the new API restrictions that Valve put in place to combat it. And while I understand their need to keep their API servers from being overloaded, it now takes over 3 minutes to highlight and tag everything correctly on the home page (for example). For those of you that used to it scan the entire store (empty search) it could potentially now take hours to process everything.

The requests are cached by your browser, so I'm also working on extending that cache - but the longer the values are cached, the higher the likelihood of them being wrong is. For example, if you purchase something off your wishlist, it will now be over an hour before Enhanced Steam changes the highlighting from "wishlisted" to "owned".

I suppose all I can do is make it conform with Valve's rules, and as much as I hate doing so, if people don't like it I can point the finger at Valve and tell them to contact Valve with their concerns. But, kinda sucks.

Deadbeat

Banned
That wasn't why it was rated a low score. It was rated a low score because people were mad everyone was giving it GAME of the year and even if you want to consider it a game when it's not actually one it should definitely not be game of the year. Even people who liked it have been agreeing with that.
Yeah 4chan got angry because it was a walking simulator first and foremost and the whole lesbian thing but played up as "art" and "deep" and the pretentiousness surrounding it set off a ton of alarm bells with them.

It wasn't a tease per se. Fox owns the games themselves; the question that has plagued the possibility of a digital re-release is who owns the trademarks. Night Dive's filing will either force the existing owner to come out of the woodwork or ultimately award the trademarks to Night Dive itself, the latter looking more and more likely as time goes on, however the ball won't start rolling until August.

Very interesting, thanks dude!

Mono

Really? I've eyed this game a few times, but the negative reviews (yes, from the Steam thumbs thing; sorry if that was ignorant of me) pushed me away, since I still had a bunch of games similar to it to play. Maybe I should give it a second look.

Wow, now I feel stupid.

Edit: Wait, the user score kinda sucks. I assume it's one of those polarizing games where you either love it or hate it?

Gone Home is excellent, but it's an interactive adventure and not much of a game. Treat it like a 90's house exploration simulator and you're good. That sounds pretty lame, but it's well done, and the story is sweet and presented in such a way that makes things interesting.

Ventara

Go figure.

Why? Lesbians are hot!
Nobody jump on me now, I'm just kidding.

Anyways, I'm glad that I cleared up the incorrect misconception I had that this game was bad. I usually take a quick look at Steam reviews to see if a game is worth playing, but that no longer seems to be a good idea.

Gone Home is excellent, but it's an interactive adventure and not much of a game. Treat it like a 90's house exploration simulator and you're good. That sounds pretty lame, but it's well done, and the story is sweet and presented in such a way that makes things interesting.

Will do when I get around to getting it. I actually really like these kinda games.

Hugstable

Banned
not to tell anyone how to giveaway games (because it was afterall a great giveaway), but a Dark Souls 2 (or a game of its calibre) giveaway without at least a short 15min raffle doesnt seem like the best idea, for future reference. At least give peeps a chance to enter, and not just "blink and you missed it". seems like something more suited for bundle games which isnt a big deal if you missed them or not

then again I hate those twitter giveaways and whatnot so /shrug

Haha I went to go make a Sandwich after having a long Dark Souls 1 session tonight and I missed it. Oh well I still have hope in Mokoi's DS2 raffle! Either way I'm gonna own the game by the time this sale ends, 33% be damned!

Eusis

Alright, I meant to do this differently, but if I read right Modbot should auto fix this, and if not... Well whoops.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- DO OVER
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-7BFD7E554E8A80CB - Taken by Ventara
Dungeon Defenders Plus All DLC -- MB-99E196DB63B48BC9 - Taken by Helmholtz

I'll note the Dungeon Defenders one is a Steam code and there's been new DLC since, but it should still be most of it.

Orca

I find it oddly funny that a game that isn't even officially released yet - Planet Explorers (Early Access) - is 40% off.

hawk2025

The "not a game!!!" narrative festering this thread and Gone Home's Steam reviews just proves how hilariously off mark that one big thread we had recently on "non-games" based on a rant video was.

These games have a long way ahead of them if a large part of the community tries to actively damage their reputation. It's embarrassing and disappointing.

Yeah 4chan got angry because it was a walking simulator first and foremost and the whole lesbian thing but played up as "art" and "deep" and the pretentiousness surrounding it set off a ton of alarm bells with them.

Also I can't remember the details but there were some shady details about people giving it high scores being great friends with the developers or working with them in the past or some other type of nepotism which seemed pretty well founded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom