• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wonder if Stump is any closer to implementing more raffle timers in modbot. I need 1 hour raffles bad, that is by far the sweet spot for me (15mins seems too short, 3 hours too long and 24hours only serve to fuel Satan's power)

Ultimadrago

you raise valid points. How they handled Fontaine's character (or... actually, his whole existence) is up for debate until this day. The fact that he's pretty much a cartoon villain that (spoilers for Bioshock 1? If any of you has been reading this without playing the game, well...)
actually transforms into a cartoon villain for the final fight
is something I've never liked about BS1. It seems the plot threads that were dangling throughout the game are lost during that final quarter and they had to finish the game SOMEHOW. I liked the themes about unbridled capitalism and its (almost) inherent hypocrisy, free will vs predetermination, the illusion of choice in videogames and all that stuff that was seemingly thrown out of the window to be replaced with "let's kill that guy, he's a villain that has done pretty evil stuff".

Indeed. It had the basis for a truly refreshing approach to what an antagonist to "the people" can actually be (and achieves it to some degree), but is watered down by typical video game fare. I enjoyed the game, but it has hammer-feathered elements that cripple the story. Similar ideas weaken the potential of 2 and Infinite's stories as well. If only any of the Bioshock games kept along that fine line without ending at the whole "Good vs. Evil in a Battle of Titans!" affair, we could've had some really great works on our hands. On Bioshock Infinite,
while it technically does away with this, it brings in another swathe of issues regarding immature focus on societal themes that weaken how it presents its story. It briskly taps upon important subplots and never creates a powerful basis for its setting as did Rapture before it.

Mono

I completely forget if this is a thing: can you still sell/craft the summer sale cards after the sale ends or do they disappear?

Anyone who thinks Gone Home is even the slightest bit interesting should buy it.

*It's cheap.
*It's not very difficult or long, so it won't affect your backlog as long as just try it.
*It's most likely not like anything you already own.
*And a lof of people really like it.

There's no reason at all to care about user reviews about that game. The score there is just a result of people being silly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I find it oddly funny that a game that isn't even officially released yet - Planet Explorers (Early Access) - is 40% off.

half the deals on this sale have been early access games

Dude, why would I not name my firstborn tiny raptor? He'll basically be one for sure!

Sweet! He'll be a total hit with the ladies, btw. This name slays dragons with its utter cuteness.

Counts if I do it on Harverst Moon?

Yes
No

HM is legit, though, so you get brownie points.

Middle name, take it or leave it.

You drive a hard bargain, sir. Fine! Have at it, ye gentlemen. It's not the best game in the world (or so I've heard), but it's...idk.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hunted: The Demon's Forge -- MB-9B9F85EECDB80BDD - Taken by topyy. 10 entrants total.

t1403586516z1.png

Ventara

Alright, I meant to do this differently, but if I read right Modbot should auto fix this, and if not... Well whoops.

I'll note the Dungeon Defenders one is a Steam code and there's been new DLC since, but it should still be most of it.

WHAAAAT!!!! I won two games in like 30 minutes?!! Should I go and buy a lottery ticket? This is insane! Of course, this means I need to give back somehow now. Will probably do a lottery later tonight or tomorrow.

Anyways, you're a saint Eusis! I just sent you an electronic kiss, so make sure to stick your cheek to the monitor to receive it.

Saganator

I find it oddly funny that a game that isn't even officially released yet - Planet Explorers (Early Access) - is 40% off.

Eh, not really. Day Z and Prison Architect also got a sale. PA is awesome too, so I don't think it has anything to do with quality.

Mokoi

Banned
not to tell anyone how to giveaway games (because it was afterall a great giveaway), but a Dark Souls 2 (or a game of its calibre) giveaway without at least a short 15min raffle doesnt seem like the best idea, for future reference. At least give peeps a chance to enter, and not just "blink and you missed it". seems like something more suited for bundle games which isnt a big deal if you missed them or not

then again I hate those twitter giveaways and whatnot so /shrug

Nahh, I agree with you on that. That's why I made my DS2 giveaway 24 hours. Also posting again for people who missed it.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

t1cxE6r.gif
Dark Souls II -- MB-3EB9D9956AED776E

t1403657668z1.png

ref

Does it hold up well? I'd grab it, but I've got some other games higher up that i'm waiting for dailies on.

Absolutely.

I played it for the first time a year ago and thought it looked fine. It's very consistent in how it looks, which is solid.

Game play is very solid as well, aside from the combat. It's noticeably weak.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'm of two minds about that. Assuming a developer is upfront about their pricing strategy (which they have to be these days), I'm perfectly okay with full-price Early Access games being discounted, but don't agree with Early Access games that are set to rise in price going on sale while cheaper (Betrayer and Kenshi come to mind). I honestly feel that, going forward, games that are cheaper during Early Access should be prevented from being discounted until they've reached their final price (and a cooldown period wouldn't go astray either, so as to prevent developers discounting immediately thereafter).

Amzin

I'm actually really interested in the game, but feel like I'm better off waiting. I just don't have time to replay games as they get updated anymore :p Same reason I'm holding off on Prison Architect and haven't played Starbound yet.

I'm actually really interested in the game, but feel like I'm better off waiting. I just don't have time to replay games as they get updated anymore :p Same reason I'm holding off on Prison Architect and haven't played Starbound yet.

You should stop reading this thread and go play Starbound.

Anteater

Speaking of Revengeance, which is the better DLC to start off with? Blade Wolf or Jet Stream Sam?

They're both a bit different, Blade Wolf has some stealth and platforming sections so play that if you want a change of pace, Jet Stream Sam was the better DLC with a heavier focus on combat than Blade Wolf.

Eusis

WHAAAAT!!!! I won two games in like 30 minutes?!! Should I go and buy a lottery ticket? This is insane! Of course, this means I need to give back somehow now. Will probably do a lottery later tonight or tomorrow.

Anyways, you're a saint Eusis! I just sent you an electronic kiss, so make sure to stick your cheek to the monitor to receive it.
No problem (though that's more lucky to find it quickly enough rather than just win the raffle.)

ANYWAYS, DO OVER FOR GIANA SISTERS:

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-B51C9604A498AE7C - Taken by Swhalen. 10 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1403587066z1.png

Okay, wtf. I modified my FOV in Metro LL and my FPS dropped to 9. Default FOV i can run it at 60fps. I guess I'm playing it with low FOV. :(

EDIT: NVM Nvidia Physx on my default was killing my framerate.

Saganator

Being apart of the PA alpha has been a joy, honestly. I've been playing it for a while and every time I come back to it after a couple months there is a bunch of cool new additions and fixes. The monthly alpha update videos the devs produce are something I look forward to at the beginning of every month.

Altazor

Indeed. It had the basis for a truly refreshing approach to what an antagonist to "the people" can actually be (and achieves it to some degree), but is watered down by typical video game fare. I enjoyed the game, but it has hammer-feathered elements that cripple the story. Similar ideas weaken the potential of 2 and Infinite's stories as well. If only any of the Bioshock games kept along that fine line without ending at the whole "Good vs. Evil in a Battle of Titans!" affair, we could've had some really great works on our hands. On Bioshock Infinite,
while it technically does away with this, it brings in another swathe of issues regarding immature focus on societal themes that weaken how it presents its story. It briskly taps upon important subplots and never creates a powerful basis for its setting as did Rapture before it.

As much as I liked Infinite, I also had problems with it. And I guess how they dealt with (BIOSHOCK INFINITE SPOILERS)
the Vox Populi is one of them. By the end they were a poorly handed example of "he who fights monsters". I mean, yes, revolutions can be bloody but HOW they made the Vox violent cannon fodder seems a bit... I dunno, contradictory? with all the racial tension message they were seemingly trying to create

That and the fact that Rapture is a better setting, IMHO. I love Art Deco - I think BS was the game that "turned" me onto Art Deco, to be honest.

There's as much of a reason as there is to care about them as any other games user reviews.

I would say less no, considering how silly the discussion about the game most often is, and they're even less relevant now that the game costs $3 for the moment. Considering all the junk people are buying during the sales, why not take a chance on a game where the developers at least have tried to make something different and meaningful. If you don't like it, you don't like it, and you move on.

It's not a game that everyone will like, but no game ever is.

Anustart

What should I do gaf?

Option 1) Grab Wolf Among Us for me, Rogue Legacy to give away.

Option 2) Tomb Raider for me, another 4.99 game for me?

Lain

Spent about a hour playing Bound by Flame. I was still in tutorial mode when I stopped playing but I had a better time with it than I was expecting.

Combat didn't feel as brainless as some opinions I had read led me to think, with the two fighting styles, one slower but stronger and the other quicker but with weaker hits.
It's also not a bad looking (not a looker either, but I dig the style), although the model for the female main character is pretty off-putting, especially because of the really limited customization with 5 faces and 6 type of hair. The hair styles especially are quite ugly. Her voice is also on the annoying side and even though I changed the default name, people kept calling me Vulcan, not only in the subs but in the spoken dialogue too.
Yet I had fun, especially once I got to the second fighting style, which is more to my liking with it being a quicker type with the double daggers.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
What should I do gaf?

Option 1 since you brag about M&M money :p

reminds me that I still need to play RL. should probably get on that at some point.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Humble Bundle 3 -- MB-AFDA311ACF9C2BD5 - Taken by Eusis
Portal -- MB-8B0EED5339537099 - Taken by ImSooFlye

jholmes

What should I do gaf?

Option 1 is more democratic. It also involves games I'm interested in but haven't played, whereas Tomb Raider I'm just not interested in. ($4.99 game might be something I really like though, I admit.)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Just Cause 2 raffle!

ModBot said:
Instructions for BY2K:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Just Cause 2 -- MB-5E366000E60B860E

t1403597417z1.png

EDIT: Why do I never get images in my raffles? :(

Altazor

What should I do gaf?

haven't played Wolf, but the Tomb Raider reboot is a pretty fun (and pretty) game that is quite shallow. A bit of spectacular mindless fun that is light on actual "tomb raiding" and compelling characters but than can keep you entertained for quite a few hours. If you loved the previous TR, I don't think (I might be wrong) this is the game for you, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom