• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't bother. Whenever multiple giveaways happen within a short period of time, ModBot becomes really slow. The standard procedure is to wait it out naturally.

As opposed to using giveaway-enhancing drugs? Yes, absolutely, I do indeed concur wholeheartedly!!

Haha, nice, a giveaways a giveaway, good or bad, no one should complain

Wasn't saying they should! Just saying I heard it wasn't the greatest game out there.

And I agree with you about it looking interesting. I think the chick in it was hot.

the problem here is, voice their concerns about what exactly? A third party mod that tells people when its best NOT to use steam and instead use other stores?

Im surprised they havent shut it down tbh, from a business standpoint it makes no sense. Not defending them btw, just looking at the reality of it and what little jshackles or the users can do about it

You've got a point. As much as I enjoy using it, I can't see them giving it more than a cursory pass.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To me it seems Valve puts more and more shit into their client. I am not sure how the client works, since I dont have a clue about I.T., but is it still in the core the same client from 2003?

The only people who can answer that are those who have access to Steam's source code. A revamped client was released in April 2010 to coincide with Mac support, though, with the big change being Steam's IE-based browser engine getting the boot in favour of the cross-platform WebKit.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
People were talking about that, but the sheer amount teams are winning by is too much for even a decent sized group of forum-goers/redditors/etc. to be swaying.

Basically, it's almost assuredly a fixed contest by valve.

I don't understand why people think it's Valve rigging this. It would make more money for them if the competition was closer, because more people would be buying cards and, you know, competing instead of idly sitting by.

If Valve really did rig this, it would be stupid not to have the scores closer to each other to provide some illusion of a competition to make more money from all of this.

I started watching The Wire on Amazon Prime Wednesday. So despite spending $120 on the steam sale I haven't installed any of them. Damn this show is addicting.

Relevant

I'm trying to sell cards and right now I'm the first seller in the selling list, but I will probably drop far in that list, because of new sellers with lower prices

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why do I keep checking Magrunner and the Obscure games every day in the hopes they finally got discounts :(

Magrunner was free on GOG recently too, which makes it even more baffling that it has no discount at all

Evo X

I've heard so many good things about The Wire too, but never watched it.

Time to change that now, thanks to this thread.

Steam in 1 window, GAF in another, Amazon Prime in the 3rd. :D

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Playing Gunpoint again since I see so many on my friend's list doing so (Playfire Rewards), and I forgot just how amusing the writing was and how much fun the game play was as a stealth puzzle game.

I highly recommend it to everyone this Steam Sale even if it never gets a daily deal or flash, it's just good fun. http://store.steampowered.com/app/206190/

-MD-

Thoughts on Saints Row 4? I'm wondering if the super powers breaks the game.

They do. If you like Saint's Row it's worth the 10 bucks, don't expect it to be great or anything though.

I watched the show for the first time not too long ago, it's must watch TV imo. Season 1 was my favorite.

Playing Gunpoint again since I see so many on my friend's list doing so (Playfire Rewards), and I forgot just how amusing the writing was and how much fun the game play was as a stealth puzzle game.

I highly recommend it to everyone this Steam Sale even if it never gets a daily deal or flash, it's just good fun. http://store.steampowered.com/app/206190/

I also had a really good time with Gunpoint. Although I will admit the ability to sit on a guy and punch him as many times as you want was probably funnier than it should have been.

It's an incredible show, but give it 3 or 4 episodes. It can take some time to fully get into the world and the characters, but once you do, it is so immensely rewarding.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They do. If you like Saint's Row it's worth the 10 bucks, don't expect it to be great or anything though.

I watched the show for the first time not too long ago, it's must watch TV imo. Season 1 was my favorite.

but it is great. and how do powers break a game centered around those powers? do the powers in Infamous break the game? or Prototype, or Crackdown?

Colby

I just got the dreaded Steam credit card blockage. I feel stupid for asking, but how do you convert these $6 cards to Amazon credit?

Yakkue

It almost makes me sick to think what my inbox is going to look like when this release goes live - people are not going to like it. I don't like it either. But I can either throttle the API calls, or I've been threatened that they'll remove all Enhanced Steam's users access to Steam, so I guess it's better than nothing and my hands are pretty much tied.

My enthusiasm for getting a job at Valve has gone down quite a bit since this whole thing started, honestly. I think that opening a dialog was nice, but rate-limiting your API and threatening to cut off user's access without giving me a chance to implement the changes you suggest... that just seems disingenuous.

It sucks that this is causing you so many problems right now =/ I wish Valve would work with you on this, not against you.

the problem here is, voice their concerns about what exactly? A third party mod that tells people when its best NOT to use steam and instead use other stores?

ES does so much more than that, many features make buying things from steam so much easier. Like the "Add to cart" button on your wishlist, highlighting games on you wishlist, etc.

shockdude

Well this is my first Steam summer sale with a laptop that can actually play games, and I think I'm doing alright.

Half Life Complete
Skyrim Legendary
Sleeping Dogs Collection
Darksiders II
Magicka

I've already accumulated a large backlog before the summer sale, and with $30 I've added about a hundred more hours to it. Oh well.

Halo 2

Banned
I just got the dreaded Steam credit card blockage. I feel stupid for asking, but how do you convert these $6 cards to Amazon credit?
I'd assume you buy a custom amount ($6) gift card.

Which is what I have to do since that just happened to me.

Welcome to the club. Just click on gift cards at the top of the Amazon page. Pick the email option. Send them to yourself and just make the amount for $6 and add the card as a new payment method.

3phemeral

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Skyborn -- MB-E3EADF0F8384AAD0 - Taken by nacimento. 8 entrants total.
To the Moon -- MB-5D0D76AB7D5494AD - Taken by thebloo. 8 entrants total.
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-D619A05D6CEAC541 - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 3 entrants total.

t1403589371z1.png

Congrats to the winners! PM me if you have any issues with the keys as has been happening with me and Bel_Air_Jeff. :)

Rhaknar

ES does so much more than that, many features make buying things from steam so much easier. Like the "Add to cart" button on your wishlist, highlighting games on you wishlist, etc.

I know what it does Yak, it doesnt change the fact that Valve has no stake in it, and it still tells people where the best prices are, many times NOT on steam. so, again, why should they care?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Im surprised they havent shut it down tbh, from a business standpoint it makes no sense. Not defending them btw, just looking at the reality of it and what little jshackles or the users can do about it

Well to be clear, this is in regards to highlighting things in the store as owned/wishlisted/etc. We have to get this data from Valve's servers, or the user has to manually enter it.

There really isn't much that they can do about other features like DRM warnings, price history information, and now even Early Access banners, since that is all done through our own API server, not theirs.

I know what it does Yak, it doesnt change the fact that Valve has no stake in it, and it still tells people where the best prices are, many times NOT on steam. so, again, why should they care?

Fair enough point. But I also have a hard time believing that Enhanced Steam is the only application or service that's affected by this new change in the API.

Sorting through the Borderlands 2 DLC just annoys me. I had the original game and season pass, but apparently not the Mechromancer (weird). The way things are currently priced, it would be cheaper to get the GOTY edition, and that still wouldn't give me all of the DLC.

It's irritating to know that if I buy the GOTY, my existing copies just... go away. I will have bought two copies of the same base game (and much of the DLC), but only get to keep one of them.

Colby

Thank you, everyone, for the help. Is there a way to delete these cards so Steam doesn't permanently lock me out of the Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom