• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got Mirror's Edge from a gaffer, gotta give sth. back.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Station Eris (Desura)-- MB-68D0302AEB4649D6 - Taken by Catshade
Agapan (Desura)-- MB-350D69B9AB21F978 - Taken by Henry Swanson
Stoorm (Desura)-- MB-1C08E95DBB43F701 - Taken by Henry Swanson
Fibrillation (Desura)-- MB-058F4A5B70472ADB
Plain Sight -- MB-3B74BD156E853B36 - Taken by Madridista
Inmomentum -- MB-148838369F3B0163 - Taken by oti xero
Palm Kingdoms 2 -- MB-938D27A58140E80D
SickBrick (Desura)-- MB-FB5824A621728927 - Taken by Soule

Also, does Garry's Mod require any other game for full functionality? Kinda remember reading sth. like that.

Edit: There is no symbol on Palm Kindgoms 2 whether Steam or Desura, so you gotta try I think.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
How do they determine who wins the 3 games anyway? Randomly pick 30 users and give them the top 3 games on their wishlist?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The way Valve is handling my market access with this whole "we'll lock you down for using a debit gift card" shit is really pissing me off too. Valve expects users to read their minds and anticipate their stupid decisions.

Again, this is intentional, to prevent fraud and money laundering. I assume if someone stole your account and spent your money, you'd expect a refund from Valve's side, so it's reasonable to expect that they'd place reasonable, minor limitations in order to prevent the most common methods of fraud.

Lomax

Dumb question, but what's it mean to "abuse" giveaways?

Primarily it means taking games with the intent of trading/selling them later rather than using them yourself. It also means not taking more than your fair share, but that functionality is pretty much built into modbot these days.

Vuze

Got Mirror's Edge from a gaffer, gotta give sth. back.

Also, does Garry's Mod require any other game for full functionality? Kinda remember reading sth. like that.

Yes, most Maps require textures from some CS game iirc. But there are tutorials on YouTube on how to work around this without purchasing them.

Arthea

so, you people are saying I should buy The LEGO Movie? But I yet to finish Lego Marvel and LotR. These aren't exactly short games.

dream

I know it's not Steam, and I apologize profusely, but I just saw that gog has Riddick for THREE AMERICAN DOLLARS, and it even comes with the added bonus of not being infested with TAGES! Buy it, friends. Buy it now.

Seaklng

Banned
nice! I hope I do, so I don't feel like I've wasted 8 bucks... oh who am I kidding, this is Steam. I've already wasted money. I am already dead.

As for the coop... well, I hope I'm able to enjoy it that way. TBH, I'm a little afraid of online multiplayer in general 'cause my connection is sometimes pretty laggy. I just hope it isn't that much of a deal (instead of, let's say, Dark Souls, in which the lag is unbearable and phantom hits are diminishing my enjoyment of the game's online component)

Co-op, in any game, is hit or miss. Sometimes, the connection isn't laggy, but you end up with shit people and vice versa. I find that if you have people join your game, instead of joining others', then chances are you'll be ok. There are some really funny people I've met through BL2 co-op, though. (I believe I have 300 hours in game.) Personally, I enjoyed the story, and played almost all of it by myself, including DLC. I've never really been a big team player though. hah

Lomax

I'd really appreciate the opinion of someone who has played most of the other Lego games who could compare this to those games since it does look a lot different from the usual ones... (smaller levels etc)

RPS didn't like it as much as other Lego games, said it was a missed opportunity.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/10/wot-i-think-the-lego-movie-videogame/

I'm sad we'll never get Lego City Undercover on PC, it's a shame they didn't make the Lego Movie game more like it.

Again, this is intentional, to prevent fraud and money laundering. I assume if someone stole your account and spent your money, you'd expect a refund from Valve's side, so it's reasonable to expect that they'd place reasonable, minor limitations in order to prevent the most common methods of fraud.

Nobody spent my money, I simply put money into my Steam Wallet. This is to protect Valve and their market, not me.

If Valve has these limitations in place (they're not reasonable nor minor) then they should be warning users. "Hey if you use a different card here you might lose access to the market."

Or better yet, find another way of validating funds that doesn't lock out users of debit gift cards.

EDIT: I suppose in the proper context, locking someone out of the market is pretty small beans; I still have access to my Steam games. But it's still a very poor userflow from a UI standpoint.

Primarily it means taking games with the intent of trading/selling them later rather than using them yourself. It also means not taking more than your fair share, but that functionality is pretty much built into modbot these days.

Well I'm almost certainly on that list then as I went a little crazy my first time trying to win. I was interested in each game I won and have already started playing them, but as it's my first steam thread I was totally caught up in the awesome. Thanks for the answer.

Acccent

Dumb question, but what's it mean to "abuse" giveaways?

Basically think of this thread as a room full of friendly people, some of whom sometimes give free games to others, simply because they're nice and like to share and to keep that cool atmosphere going on.

Abusing giveaways would be some dude running around catching all of those games, sometimes then going out to sell them or give them to people outside, and generally collecting them without any intent to ever play them.
edit: I don't think you've been abusing giveaways, PhoenixFyre, don't worry about it. As long as you don't act like a jerk there really isn't a problem, and even then, people are willing to forgive when misguided behaviour happens.

Altazor

Co-op, in any game, is hit or miss. Sometimes, the connection isn't laggy, but you end up with shit people and vice versa. I find that if you have people join your game, instead of joining others', then chances are you'll be ok. There are some really funny people I've met through BL2 co-op, though. (I believe I have 300 hours in game.) Personally, I enjoyed the story, and played almost all of it by myself, including DLC. I've never really been a big team player though. hah

thanks for the response! I'll have that in mind if I decide to spend some time in multiplayer :)

Tizoc

all these raffles make me want waffles

Crunchy-Waffles2-1024x680.jpg

Waffles.jpg

belgianwaffle.jpg

http://facebookcovers.iorbix.com/facebook-cover-photos-timeline/foods/Crunchy-Belgian-Waffles

dream

If Banished drops to 10$ or lower on Steam, is it worth the purchase? Hows the game?

I liked it. It's a little bit barebones and it can be punishing, but it's still better than most modern town builders, and it's especially impressive when you consider that it was made by one guy.

Morzak

I'm still waiting if Bastion will go any lover then the 40% off it is now. A decently priced Transistor & Bastion Bundle would be great.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
And now i'm hungry, thanks Tizoc...
trading Rogue Legacy for Rage.
Ah yes, the Summer of 2013. A couple of weeks after the birth of the first of the ModBots. Those where... interesting times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom