• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

If Banished drops to 10$ or lower on Steam, is it worth the purchase? Hows the game?

It was number one on the top sellers for several weeks after it released, a lot of people really really love it. That said, it is pretty harsh and unforgiving from what I understand, so it's primarily targeted at people who really love the genre.

Yes, most Maps require textures from some CS game iirc. But there are tutorials on YouTube on how to work around this without purchasing them.
Yeah, I guessed somehting like that since Garry's Mod is in an Bundle with CS Source for 5,74€.
Want to buy but it's censored here in Germany :/

Any idea how to workaround this? Anyone willing to trade or buy for me?
I hate censoring and region-locks.

Copons

So I'm working on getting Enhanced Steam up to snuff on the new API restrictions that Valve put in place to combat it. And while I understand their need to keep their API servers from being overloaded, it now takes over 3 minutes to highlight and tag everything correctly on the home page (for example). For those of you that used to it scan the entire store (empty search) it could potentially now take hours to process everything.

The requests are cached by your browser, so I'm also working on extending that cache - but the longer the values are cached, the higher the likelihood of them being wrong is. For example, if you purchase something off your wishlist, it will now be over an hour before Enhanced Steam changes the highlighting from "wishlisted" to "owned".

I suppose all I can do is make it conform with Valve's rules, and as much as I hate doing so, if people don't like it I can point the finger at Valve and tell them to contact Valve with their concerns. But, kinda sucks.

J, correct me if I'm wrong as I don't really know how ES works (and my knowledge of caching is extremely lacking).
Here the problem is that ES pulls too frequently data from, I guess, appuserdetails to inject infos everywhere on Steam.
Couldn't you create some kind of local storage with at least a list of "is_owned" and "added_to_wishlist" to use, let's say, separately from Steam APIs?
You could throttle down how it updates to, like, every refresh, or even update it only when a new game is added or wishlist changed (don't actually know if there's a listener for that).

Don't know, it's too hot today and my brain is so numb.

Tetrasides

Neo Member
It was number one on the top sellers for several weeks after it released, a lot of people really really love it. That said, it is pretty harsh and unforgiving from what I understand, so it's primarily targeted at people who really love the genre.

I like the genre, so I will purchase it sometime during the sale.

Beelzebubs

Have GOG being giving away free games daily? I got Magrunner free recently and a gift code for Omerta today (already had it lol).

GOG do give away quite a few free games.

I think the next giveaway though will be for Alpha Centauri due to Beyond Earth coming out soon. Would be good advertising.

Soule

Got Mirror's Edge from a gaffer, gotta give sth. back.

Also, does Garry's Mod require any other game for full functionality? Kinda remember reading sth. like that.

Thanks muchly :)

edit: actually the key isn't working when I try it. any suggestions? I'm gonna pass fall asleep very soon but I'll try again anything people say when I'm finished with my exams tomorrow.

Arthea

If Banished drops to 10$ or lower on Steam, is it worth the purchase? Hows the game?

It's as good as people say, easy to get into, don't force tutorials on you, and plays great. Also it strikes nice balance between reality and simulation, teaching along the way that keeping people fed and happy, is no easy task!

edited: my population would greatly benefit from having access to Farming Simulator 2013 Titanium Edition too. Doing everything by hands and on foot, poor things.

I remember Winter 2013 there were a few people who went balls deep crafting the highest badge possible. Anyone know of anyone with a stupid high badge level?

cicero

I can see a deeper discount, but I still can't see free.
I have been of the same opinion myself since the rumors started last week. But if the "evidence" being used to encourage the rumors is partially true, I doubt they would only drop it 10% more or something like that, hopefully if it does get an increased price reduction it is like 75% off, making it $5.

Chariot

Grrr, I want to gift Visual Novels. Come on steam, make something even cheaper...!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Draw a Stickman: EPIC -- MB-4BAF9293565B7427 - Taken by Kerub. 4 entrants total.

t1403622320z1.png

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I hope point'n click wins! I want to finally play Myst. :-(

hmm.. don't know about RealMyst.. however I played Myst for the very first time "recently" (within the past 4-5 years) after YEARS of dismissing it as a "fad" from the mid-90s when it was everywhere.. only to discover.. what the f---? There has actually been a really REALLY good adventure game there this whole time? I was so utterly disappointed with myself. I did rush to play Riven right after (which IMHO is only just a teeny bit below the first game) and sadly did not continue the series after that..even though I should.

anyway yeah.. hoping for the PnC pack also though it's sounding like more people are going for the sports pack due to the less frequent deals on those games.

Thanks muchly :)

edit: actually the key isn't working when I try it. any suggestions? I'm gonna pass fall asleep very soon but I'll try again anything people say when I'm finished with my exams tomorrow.
Ok, that shoudn't happen. Let me check.
I think you tried it on Steam? It's a Desura key. I thought Modbot realizes that automatically.
Give it a try at Desura.

I'm gonna manually edit the keys.

Chariot

Aint Nobody got time to read them!
I get everybody playing the big NeoGAF Visual Novel, but maybe someone finds a little bit auf time to appreciate other VNs :(
There are Visual Novels on Steam? I always thought Higurashi was supposed to be greenlighted.
A handful, yes.
Narcissu 1st & 2nd is even free, we have the Hate Games, WORLD END ECONOMiCA, Long Live the Queen, Dsyfunctional System, Cherry Tree High Comedy Club, Recettear and some stuff where I'm not sure if it really worth it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
hmm.. don't know about RealMyst.. however I played Myst for the very first time "recently" (within the past 4-5 years) after YEARS of dismissing it as a "fad" from the mid-90s when it was everywhere.. only to discover.. what the f---? There has actually been a really REALLY good adventure game there this whole time? I was so utterly disappointed with myself. I did rush to play Riven right after (which IMHO is only just a teeny bit below the first game) and sadly did not continue the series after that..even though I should.

anyway yeah.. hoping for the PnC pack also though it's sounding like more people are going for the sports pack due to the less frequent deals on those games.

I wouldn't say you missed a whole lot by not completing the lot, but I'm glad you went back and hit Myst and Riven at the very least. Two of PC gaming's finest even years later. I owe myself a replay of the series while reading the various books along with it.

Riven in particular still impresses me. The CG manages to avoid looking too clean and fake which is such an insane feat considering the year it was made.

Arthea

Myst is great, I though it was and is consensus, wth was with fad? (><)
Also I remember reading that steam RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition had major problems, was it fixed?

edited: VNs rarely go on sale for some reason.

dani_dc

There are Visual Novels on Steam? I always thought Higurashi was supposed to be greenlighted.

A few one, "Analogue: A love Story" and it's sequel "Hate Plus", "Go! Go! Nippon!" to name a few,

Higurashi was indeed greenlight, last year I believe, but they decided to retranslate the entire game (and it's pretty early in the process, or so I'm told), so I wouldn't hold up for a release anytime soon.

Oh, and of course we have Hatoful Boyfriend remake incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom