• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, that shoudn't happen. Let me check.
I think you tried it on Steam? It's a Desura key. I thought Modbot realizes that automatically.
Give it a try at Desura.

I'm gonna manually edit the keys.

I just won a game from EN Ex (Thank you!) but it wouldn't activate on Steam. Was going to give up until I saw this. Tried Desura and it worked! Thanks to both of you! :D

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
J, correct me if I'm wrong as I don't really know how ES works (and my knowledge of caching is extremely lacking).
Here the problem is that ES pulls too frequently data from, I guess, appuserdetails to inject infos everywhere on Steam.
Couldn't you create some kind of local storage with at least a list of "is_owned" and "added_to_wishlist" to use, let's say, separately from Steam APIs?
You could throttle down how it updates to, like, every refresh, or even update it only when a new game is added or wishlist changed (don't actually know if there's a listener for that).

Don't know, it's too hot today and my brain is so numb.

Yeah, the way the caching works in the new version is when appuserdetails is queried, it stores the results into the local browser storage and sets a timestamp of when that data was pulled. The next time it tries to pull appuserdetails for that same game, it looks in the stored values first to see how long it's been since the data has been collected. If over an hour has passed, it pulls fresh data and updates the local storage and sets a new time stamp. So in essence, it limits appuserdetails API calls to once per user, per game, per hour.

Now that the API limitations are in place though, even that isn't going to be enough. Rather than having that fluid database that is constantly refreshing with the latest data, I'm working on making those entries permanent when it determines if you own something (since the likelihood of that state changing to "unowned" is minimal). Of course in doing so, it's sacrificing the ability to update other information about an app, such as how many of your friends own that game, how many have it on their wishlist, and how many have reviewed it.

So I'll have to find the right balance between form and functionality. But again, there isn't much I can do about it, since it'll have to conform to their new API limitations.

Danielsan

I think I'm done with badges. Made it to level 31. Crafted 3 Summer Sale badges. Only got shitty common items. Better to pour that card money into a small game or two.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Talking about VNs, Cinders not gonna get better discount this time, probably.
I wanted to try it.

It's a shame that it won't be discounted higher, since it does sound interesting, but it's over my threshold for games this sale.

The same seems true for World End Economica.

Hey, stump. On the off-chance of getting verbally stumped by you, do Desura keys have to be registered differently to modbot?
My giveaway didn't put the Desura symbols to the keys. I thought you programmed it to be recognized automacially.

Turfster

Hey, stump. On the off-chance of getting verbally stumped by you, do Desura keys have to be registered differently to modbot?
My giveaway didn't put the Desura symbols to the keys. I thought you programmed it to be recognized automacially.

Pretty sure they're like origin keys, you have to add desura somewhere in the key.

Arthea

It had a weird ubiquity with the onset of CD-ROMs at the time that made it stand out as time passed as something that was perhaps more popular than it otherwise would have been.

I don't remember such attitude towards Myst, tbh, I always thought that's one of those rare good games that are universally liked.

Copons

Yeah, the way the caching works in the new version is when appuserdetails is queried, it stores the results into the local browser storage and sets a timestamp of when that data was pulled. The next time it tries to pull appuserdetails for that same game, it looks in the stored values first to see how long it's been since the data has been collected. If over an hour has passed, it pulls fresh data and updates the local storage and sets a new time stamp. So in essence, it limits appuserdetails API calls to once per user, per game, per hour.

Now that the API limitations are in place though, even that isn't going to be enough. Rather than having that fluid database that is constantly refreshing with the latest data, I'm working on making those entries permanent when it determines if you own something (since the likelihood of that state changing to "unowned" is minimal). Of course in doing so, it's sacrificing the ability to update other information about an app, such as how many of your friends own that game, how many have it on their wishlist, and how many have reviewed it.

So I'll have to find the right balance between form and functionality. But again, there isn't much I can do about it, since it'll have to conform to their new API limitations.

Understood, thanks.
It didn't even occurred to me of the possibility of "unown", so I just assumed it was all already permanent, except for wishlists of course.

Anyway, having to cut something, if I was you, I'd remove the "friends own/want", at least until a better solution is provided, to keep the (for me of course) much more important feature of knowing what I own or have in wishlist at a glance.

(also for christ sake, it's a feature so simple it's absurd Valve never implemented it, like, on Steam day one...)

It had a weird ubiquity with the onset of CD-ROMs at the time that made it stand out as time passed as something that was perhaps more popular than it otherwise would have been.

It was also one of the few major commercial games available on the Macintosh.

My Mac owning friend back in high school (circa 1990-91) had made a note to inform me that the game was basically a glorified Hypercard stack (who remembers Hypercard?)

Still, when I played it on PC when I finally got one in 2000 (I may have played it earlier on the Sega Saturn...I honestly can't remember if I did or not). I rather liked it...enough that I played through Riven as well, which I also liked.

hohoXD123

Still got Ravensword. Anyone?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Joe Danger 2: The Movie -- MB-CFFC09916CEB0CD7 - Taken by PossumMeat
Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-8B8A3007EE9B06D4 - Taken by ShinobiFist
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies -- MB-E7B4EAFFDC63A6FD - Taken by gorfyako
Bridge Constructor -- MB-0CFF405A074C7EB5 - Taken by Jimmyfenix
FEZ -- MB-847B229A81FBAC88 - Taken by purg3
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-84FF5C90CB329699 - Taken by dave is ok

Just add (Desura) to the front to be sure. Or just comment on your quote in the thread.

Kerub

Banned
hmm.. don't know about RealMyst.. however I played Myst for the very first time "recently" (within the past 4-5 years) after YEARS of dismissing it as a "fad" from the mid-90s when it was everywhere.. only to discover.. what the f---? There has actually been a really REALLY good adventure game there this whole time? I was so utterly disappointed with myself. I did rush to play Riven right after (which IMHO is only just a teeny bit below the first game) and sadly did not continue the series after that..even though I should.

anyway yeah.. hoping for the PnC pack also though it's sounding like more people are going for the sports pack due to the less frequent deals on those games.

I read some reviews for RealMyst and it seems to have some technical problems. :-( oh well

Kiru

New Bundlestars Crazy Machines Bundle for $3.49
Crazy Machines
Crazy Machines 1.5
Crazy Machines 2
Crazy Machines 2: Back to the Shop DLC
Crazy Machines 2: Liquid Force DLC
Crazy Machines 2: Time Travel DLC
Crazy Machines 2: Halloween DLC
Crazy Machines 2: Happy New Year DLC
Crazy Machines 2: Invaders from Space DLC
Crazy Machines 2: Invaders From Space - 2nd Wave DLC
Crazy Machines: Elements
Crazy Machines: Elements - Gadget Fun & Tricky Riddles DLC
Crazy Machines: Elements - Collision Course & Mental Activity DLC
Crazy Machines: Golden Gears

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Understood, thanks.
It didn't even occurred to me of the possibility of "unown", so I just assumed it was all already permanent, except for wishlists of course.

Anyway, having to cut something, if I was you, I'd remove the "friends own/want", at least until a better solution is provided, to keep the (for me of course) much more important feature of knowing what I own or have in wishlist at a glance.

(also for christ sake, it's a feature so simple it's absurd Valve never implemented it, like, on Steam day one...)

Yeah, exactly. But yes, I'm coming to the realization that the whole "tagging" system of friends own/want/reviewed is going to have to be scrapped completely. We'll just have to go back to good ol' fashion owned/wishlisted highlighting - and rather than using the API to get the wishlisted games, I'll just have to go back to doing what it originally did and scraping the HTML from your wishlist to determine what's on there.

Which is what is kind of baffling me - I specifically requested that "is_owned" be added to the AppUserDetails API back in April of 2013 to help facilitate Enhanced Steam pulling this information without having to scrape pages to retrieve it. They acknowledged it and added it to the API so that I could use it. And now they're penalizing me because I'm using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom