• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

What horrible thing did lists do to you when you were a kid?

They bored the crap out of people.
Seriously, if you want to do lists, hold it in until the end of the sale, when someone will make a thread specifically for all the list-spooging where you can all post your haul to your heart's content without bothering anyone not interested in what other people bought =p

MadGear

With Rogue Legacy, there were enough modern twists (procedural gains, the quest for the ever-higher damage number, cheeky humor) to warrant the game being more than just nostalgia. The graphical style are an aesthetic pleaser and not a sentimental one.

Volgarr, while definitely being a masterclass in level design and pacing, seems happy to aim to be Altered Beast, and I've played Altered Beast until all of the Kix ran empty and kids started moving on to the harder cereals. I never felt compelled to keep playing; the sense of simply accomplishing the task at hand wasn't enough for me.

And that's basically where your decision boils down to, I think. Are you someone who is moved through a game by a feeling of personal achievement? Or do numerical climbs, skill trees and collectables keep you going?

You can't go wrong, either way, though. Both are good. I'm just squarely a Rogue Legacy person. It would have been my GOTY last year, and might still be, but Risk of Rain came along and confused me. (That game is also phenomenal.)

Thanks for the detailed answer. I'm now actually more interested to play RL, so I'll get this first and just get Volgarr the next time it gets discounted and my backlog is a bit smaller :)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone actually sell me on Crazy Machines games?

Alright.

Crazy Machines games are puzzle games with Rube Goldberg machine style puzzles heavily featured. If you thought Bad Rats was fun, then just hold onto your pants, because Crazy Machines are going to be the most incredible games on the planet for you. Never before or since have puzzle games reached the lofty heights on par with those masterpieces, in which your imagination can soar to blistering heights of glory. It's a short but sweet piece of art that will never be matched by another puzzle game ever.

If I haven't convinced you yet, then do yourself a favor and watch this action pack, high stakes trailer, featuring actual in game graphics unlike all other video game trailers.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I wouldn't say you missed a whole lot by not completing the lot, but I'm glad you went back and hit Myst and Riven at the very least. Two of PC gaming's finest even years later. I owe myself a replay of the series while reading the various books along with it.

Riven in particular still impresses me. The CG manages to avoid looking too clean and fake which is such an insane feat considering the year it was made.
Riven definitely had really unbelievable production values that have allowed it to age gracefully.

Myst is great, I though it was and is consensus, wth was with fad? (><)
You have to under stand back in around '93-'94 this game was like Wii Sports... almost identically. Given the game was (apparently) great, but EVERYONE from my sister to mother (well not really but you get the point) was buying and shelving it.

bakeray

It always impresses me how much generosity comes out of everyone with these sales. Love this forum. :)
It's all a ruse, I just want dem mega giver giveaways.
rkellywink.gif

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
You have to under stand back in around '93-'94 this game was like Wii Sports... almost identically. Given the game was (apparently) great, but EVERYONE from my sister to mother (well not really but you get the point) was buying and shelving it.

I remember seeing the novelizations at my local bookstore back in the day.
Myst really was huge... never played it :p

liezryou

Not sure if this was already posted since i just got home, but Omerta City of Gangsters + 4 DLCs is free on GOG for the next 1.5 hours.

Blue-kun

Had completely forgotten about the Ryo DLC for Sonic Transformed. Guess this Flash was worth it after all, grabbed that and am off to do some races later with him. No Shenmue 3 but this is still pretty cool, haha.

Leatherface

I know, right?!
I haven't even tried for codes, just cause I'm sure people could use them more, but it really is awesome. All this kindness. :']

It's like everyone cares that other gamers have fresh games to play. No gamer left behind. :p

I'll have to throw a couple indie games up I think need some love.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I don't think Reddit is so popular with steam people globally that they can push one team and suppress the others.

Reddit has about ~2 million uniques a day, and Steam gets ~7.8 concurrent at its peak.

Even if every Redditor is participating in this contest, they would make up slightly more than a quarter of people on Steam at any given moment. And I'm sure Steam's uniques count is more.

Reddit thought they caught the Boston bomber too...

I don't think Reddit is so popular with steam people globally that they can push one team and suppress the others.

Reddit has about ~2 million uniques a day, and Steam gets ~7.8 concurrent at its peak.

Even if every Redditor is participating in this contest, they would make up slightly more than a quarter of people on Steam at any given moment. And I'm sure Steam's uniques count is more.

Reddit thought they caught the Boston bomber too...

People cant accept this was rigged and the programmer messed up big time or they rigged it due to servers being bombarded.

Well that was weird. My marketplace restriction decided to lift itself so I could remove the card listing that would not sell (due to how much the price had dropped in the interim) but then when trying to buy something I got an error that quite literally suggested I log out and back in again. I then checked the main marketplace page and the restriction was back. Oh well at least I got my card back.

Turfster

Well that was weird. My marketplace restriction decided to lift itself so I could remove the card listing that would not sell (due to how much the price had dropped in the interim) but then when trying to buy something I got an error that quite literally suggested I log out and back in again. I then checked the main marketplace page and the restriction was back. Oh well at least I got my card back.
Sign of the market being overloaded.
Just try again later.

Hugstable

Banned
Best Buy deal of the day is a Razer DeathAdder 2013 gaming mouse with a $50 Steam wallet card for $70
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Misc/Deal-of-the-Day/pcmcat248000050016.c?id=pcmcat248000050016

God damn that is tempting. I picked up a 20$ Steam card yesterday and it doesn't even work. Just tells me "An unknown error has occured and the code cannot be redeemed at this time." I'm thinking I got a bunk code or something, so I'm gonna return it today, hopefully they let me as they were having problems with their computer system in store not working for like 3 hours, so hopefully they remember I was there. If they let me exchange it I think I'm gonna try to take advantage of this deal if they are doing it in store also and not just online. Huggy needs a new mouse haha.

Arthea

Alright.

Crazy Machines games are puzzle games with Rube Goldberg machine style puzzles heavily featured. If you thought Bad Rats was fun, then just hold onto your pants, because Crazy Machines are going to be the most incredible games on the planet for you. Never before or since have puzzle games reached the lofty heights on par with those masterpieces, in which your imagination can soar to blistering heights of glory. It's a short but sweet piece of art that will never be matched by another puzzle game ever.

If I haven't convinced you yet, then do yourself a favor and watch this action pack, high stakes trailer, featuring actual in game graphics unlike all other video game trailers.

after such an awesome introduction from Binary Pork, I don't feel like adding anything else
go get it

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Crazy Machines 2 -- MB-9A6C2B9A7976AFEB - Taken by ViviOggi

Vlad

My last day shopping list at the moment:

• Proteus
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Kairo
  • Last Tinker
  • Sir you are being hunted
  • pac-man and the ghostly adventures
  • Year Walk
  • Cult of the Wind
  • Nights: into Dreams

Yeah, I've got quite the list going here too, and all the recommendations that I've been reading haven't been helping either:

Moonbase Commander (not expecting a flash sale on a 10+ year-old game, but hey, you never know)
They Bleed Pixels
Creeper World 3
Receiver
Cook, Serve, Delicious
Cargo
Proteus
Retro/Grade
One Finger Death Punch
Full Bore (maybe)
Hexcells
Super Hexagon
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Pac Man Championship Edition
Audiosurf

Yikes... now that I've written all that down, that's more than I was expecting. Might have to cull the herd a bit.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I"m on the purple team. I see Blue has a dominating lead 15 minutes after opening. I give no fucks and craft no badges.

(That) x (most rational people) x (4 colors)

while this sort of self perpetuation is definitely a factor here........

reddit's "days of colors winning" has so far been accurate. If purple wins starting at 1pm, reddit holds way more credibility than anything else.

All the games I have with playfire rewards all give credit for achievements I've gotten a long ass time ago.

I never get credits because of this. smh

You know, one day someone will wake up and be all like, "shit, i need a Toki Tori 2 foil card or else i can't even get out of bed."

and ill be there, oh, i be there for them for sure.

Oh wow do I hope that OOTP15 gets a chance to be on sale. Such a fantastic, deep, engaging, well crafted and completely modable baseball sim. It's so good, and it would be great for more people to try it out. Can't even imagine what it would do for the dev too. Ahhhh never wanted a game to win a vote more than I hope OOTP does.

And I really want that golf game too.

Which means it will most certainly lose the vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom