• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallout

Age of Wonders 3- Yay or Nay?
If it's your kind of thing, then absolution Yay. The game still feels like Age of Wonders, but with some good tweaks and differences. The UI is also quite nice. They seem to have taken some good ideas from Civ V in that regard.

cicero

I have a friend who just built a PC a few months back and is buying up so many things this sale, he LOVES it. I think the first couple sales you experience are always best. After a few sales though, they seem less good than they used to be simply because you already have so much of what you want.

For instance, by day 5 of my first sale I had probably bought over 10 games. By day 5 now, only 2: Metal Gear Rising and now Blacklist. Both new-ish games. So many other good deals, like Witcher 2 for $4 or New Vegas Ultimate for under $7 seem "boring" to me simply because I already own them.

Basically, pretend your Steam library was empty, and THEN tell me the sales blow lol.

Except that daily and flash deals tend to have much lower percentage discounts in recent sales. They also have shifted to feature more AAA titles with ridiculously low discounts, and multiple repeat sales between flash and daily sales. Fewer non-daily/flash deal games seem to be on sale overall, those that are seem to have lower discounts. They have fewer glitches or price errors, the promotional prizes aren't nearly as big, and the general promotion isn't nearly as fun. We went from fun Treasure Hunts to feeble monetized prizes. I would rather have fun playing 30-40 games that are specially discounted for achievements, tracking and competing with friends, all to get a few bits of DLC or the odd free game. That was FAR more interesting and fun than being put on a color team and getting two chances during the sale to try for a random smallish drawing for three free wishlist games, along with hundreds of thousands of others, unless of course I decide to purchase tokens or cards to increase my chances at having proverbial lightning strike me...

Maybe you weren't around back in the day, but Steam sales have noticeably declined since then. If it hadn't been for GMG, Amazon, and GamersGate, my past few Steam sales would have been pretty bad. Now that Amazon has visibly slacked off this year, I'm not sure how the next big holiday sale is going to turn out. Clearly my large library means that I already have bought a large chunk of good titles being offered. I have 450 odd titles in my wishlist though, so clearly I am not wanting for titles I would like to see on sale or discounted more. My wishlist is a wasteland of poor to no discounts.

Nabs

So my 360 controller decided it was time to die.

What's the best way to use my DS4, any recomended software?

I use DS4Tool - J2K (A fork of DS4Windows). It's easy to set up and comes with a ton of remapping options (touchpad can do anything you want). You can find it in his signature here. Plug your DS4 in and this thing should tell you what to do.

You can also try jhebbel's fork of DS4Windows here. Both are heavily supported by their developers.

edit: always remember to tick off "Hide DS4" or your game will think you have two controllers plugged in.

Arthea

gotta decide between Kentucky Route Zero on one side and Darksiders 2 season pass + realMyst: Masterpiece Edition on other.

BTW, does Darksiders2 season pass includes all dlcs, like every one of them or only 3 mentioned?

zonezeus

Got Syberia Bundle, I vaguely remember playing Syberia 1 in an ancient past and I'm pretty sure I've never played Syberia 2 so it's a no-brainer purchase. Still on the fence about Brothers, wat do GAF?

Neol

Been really interested in Nidhogg but can't convince myself to buy it. Can someone convince me otherwise or should I just save my money?

Also vote for Casual - Comedy. Been meaning to buy Broken Age :D

oti

Banned
I like my DS3 but the battery is kinda bad. Is there a way to use the Wii U Pro controller as an Xbox 360 controller (the way MotionJoy does with the DS3). Wireless that is.

MBison

Got Syberia Bundle, I vaguely remember playing Syberia 1 in an ancient past and I'm pretty sure I've never played Syberia 2 so it's a no-brainer purchase. Still on the fence about Brothers, wat do GAF?

It's $2.99, amazing, and won a bunch of awards.

There is no fence.

3phemeral

And blue comes from behind...

iXtQxdM51tJaD.gif

And quickly takes the lead!

But wait! Purple barely takes it...

ib0NqkX4y4VmKH.gif

But is neck and neck with Pink!

Meanwhile...

iP4aLPPcRqf6f.gif

We're still competing over who has the most disposable income and who's stupid enough to waste enough of it on digital junk. How interesting can that really get?

Well, I can't really afford to blow money on crafting badges right now and have always just sold my cards to buy games, so I just get to watch a bunch of flags race on my screen. It's mildly interesting when one has little else to do.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Been really interested in Nidhogg but can't convince myself to buy it. Can someone convince me otherwise or should I just save my money?

Do you regularly hang out with your friends in front of the TV/Monitor and play games?
Then absolutely, great couch gaming fun!

Do you mostly play solo? Then rather not...

Jeremy

Getting Brothers and Nidhogg for sure.

Here are the ones I am not sure about so feel free to try to convince me:

• Shadow Warrior

• Murdered: Soul Suspect (reviews aren't good but it just looks so intriguing!)

• Kentucky Route Zero (I really have never enjoyed a point and click game but the game looks really beautiful and like it's not a pure point and click game)

Quoting for new page.

I'm Steam lvl 4 and scrambling to get to 8 so I can get some card drops from voting on the community sales.

I am a disloyal servant. Gaben, do with me as you wish D:

The_Monk

I actually like these new rules, since more teams can win games.

I hope KARMA to be on my side because if my team gets 3rd place I may win one game for me, but if my team wins 2nd place and I win two games I'll be offering one of them to a GAFfer and if my team wins 1st place and I'm lucky to win 3 games I will also donate one of those games to a GAFfer, here's hoping the best. :)

Whats hard to believe is that it always shows all the teams having points stolen from them, yesterday all the other teams showed more point stealing going on for the four runner up teams than the winning team. Considering that until today the nature of the thing meant that a) it made no sense to steal from anyone other than the lead team, b) for the last few days the lead teams have had unassailable leads so stealing was pointless and c) the stealing items sell for a fair bit on the marketplace, it seems unlikely that anyone would steal never mind the crowds that were supposedly doing it constantly.

I see a point steal spike for every team at the turnover point, then it levels out for the most part for everyone. Once a clear winner has been established per the Reddit Rules, it doesn't make too much sense to waste the points on the team that has collectively more points than everyone else. Also, how do you get the steal tokens? If they are from crafting badges, you'd see the winning team get more than the others anyway.

Turfster

Oh dear. But it's the space hulk board game. Only a conversion of the aliens board game would be more wanted by me. But if it isn't good...

Well, someone said most of this had been patched.
I only know what the review and people that bought it at launch told me.
They were... not happy, and never went back to it. *shrug*

iosefe

I use DS4Tool - J2K (A fork of DS4Windows). It's easy to set up and comes with a ton of remapping options (touchpad can do anything you want). You can find it in his signature here. Plug your DS4 in and this thing should tell you what to do.

You can also try jhebbel's fork of DS4Windows here. Both are heavily supported by their developers.

edit: always remember to tick off "Disable DS4" or your game will think you have two controllers plugged in.

installed just like SCP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom