• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purple got this right?

tyrion-and-bronn-shaking-heads.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
is blacklist really as bad as the negative metacritic reviews say so?

From everything I've read, the game itself is fair to good, but a victim of two things:
- 1) Ubisoft promoting it as a straight action game
- 2) A perception that with Conviction and Ubisoft's promotion of this game, Ubisoft doesn't understand what fans like about the series.

Most people I've seen that have played the game have enjoyed it and consider it more Splinter Cell-y than Conviction.

what are these new rules? what did I miss?

Starting today, more people will win free games!

1st place team
30 team members who scored points will win 3 games

2nd place team
20 team members who scored points will win 2 games

3rd place team
10 team members who scored points will win 1 game

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Starting today, more people will win free games!

1st place team
30 team members who scored points will win 3 games

2nd place team
20 team members who scored points will win 2 games

3rd place team
10 team members who scored points will win 1 game

ah. sucks for previous winning colors lol

Eusis

I'd buy up some badgets to craft for green but I'm all locked down.

... I'll probably look into who will trade for me for what. And of course I got a fucking Foil but unless someone's sitting on all the cards I doubt there can be a good enough deal made card-wise.

Looks like I can get Cyan complete pack for the same price as Real Myst. As someone who has never played a Myst game, are they still playable by today's standards?

Yes hello Myst fan here let me give the quick rundown:

Myst: Classic but incredibly dated graphics. Gameplay still holds up if you're into games about exploring and discovering the world you're in, but the puzzles aren't as strong these days as when it first came out.

Realmyst: Same gameplay as Myst but with a 3D world you can walk around freely instead of leaping between nodes. I'd say skip the original and just play this, or even better the Masterpiece Edition which has more modern graphics (but isn't included with the bundle).

Riven: Some say it's the peak of the Myst series. The graphics while still 2D node-based are much improved from Myst and still hold up today in my opinion, while the puzzles are also much better and the "sense of discovery" is in full effect.

Uru: Here things get interesting, Uru made the leap to a full 3D world and was intended to be this epic Myst MMO. Unfortunately that didn't quite pan out. These days Uru is actually open source with a few shards (multiplayer servers) including an official Cyan one, so you don't even need to buy the game to play that side of it. Complete Chronicles is the singleplayer component and while it includes a few differences to the open source multiplayer game, I'd really recommend just skipping Complete Chronicles and looking into the open source client. Regardless of that mess, I really do enjoy Uru. I think it offers great exploration and discovery and while the puzzles aren't up to Riven or Revelation standards, it's still fun and having your own personal age (Relto) that you can customize by finding pages scattered through the ages gives it a personal feeling none of the other games have. Also you get to explore part of the D'ni cavern which is awesome if you're into the lore.

Myst V: It's... Different. Some might say not in a good way. Myst V was thrown together from the scraps of plans for Uru after the multiplayer component was (repeatedly) cancelled and it shows. There are some real interesting parts to the game (including a rather fantastic SPACE age) but in the end it feels disjointed and somehow almost... Sterile? When compared to the other games. Certainly playable, but not up to snuff.

Not included in the bundle are Myst 3 and 4 (Exile and Revelations) as they weren't made by Cyan. While Exile is debatable (its structure results in it losing a ton of the exploration and discovery of the previous titles) Revelations is really a shame to miss out on and I'd recommend you look for it separately if you enjoy the other games. It's the peak of the traditional 2D node-based graphics which some downright amazing world design and almost unfairly difficult puzzles in spots. While not made by Cyan, it'd be easy to think it was.

From everything I've read, the game itself is fair to good, but a victim of two things:
- 1) Ubisoft promoting it as a straight action game
- 2) A perception that with Conviction and Ubisoft's promotion of this game, Ubisoft doesn't understand what fans like about the series.

Most people I've seen that have played the game have enjoyed it and consider it more Splinter Cell-y than Conviction.

thanks :) I guess now is the best time to take a chance on it - even though it will be the most expensive game I've got in the sale at £4.99!

Speevy

Banned
You know, they should really change the rules to include people who bought games.

Someone could spend thousands of dollars, sell all their cards, and not be entitled to anything. How is that fair?

Got Syberia Bundle, I vaguely remember playing Syberia 1 in an ancient past and I'm pretty sure I've never played Syberia 2 so it's a no-brainer purchase. Still on the fence about Brothers, wat do GAF?

Good choice with Syberia. Amazing game.

I completed the first one a couple of years ago, amazing game. Reached the end with the second one but my save was lost...:( At least I know all the puzzles now :)

And Brothers is absolutely amazing too.

Good choices overall

DSix

Banned
About Splinter Cell Blacklist, how good is the revival of Spy vs Mercs? I loved that mode so much in the originals.

I should really start to activate games on steam. I almost bought the Blackwell games despite already having them from Indie Royale (got them muddled up with Gemini Rue; which I also have from there).

You know, they should really change the rules to include people who bought games.

Someone could spend thousands of dollars, sell all their cards, and not be entitled to anything. How is that fair?

If they spend thousands of dollars on the Steam sale, they don't really need three more games.

GAF I know Legends has uPlay but it's literally the only Ubisoft franchise I care about. Make my dream come true.

Also the vote that includes Rayman has a couple of 90% off deals. People click on those without looking... or so I hope. I need this game.

PBalfredo

Murdered is still too much for my poor budget, so how is The Blackwell Legacy for my ghost detective fix? Any good? What's the main form that puzzle take in this game? Anything close to solving crime or just rubbing every item in my inventory together until a solution appears?

Kadin

And if you think about it, Steam is actually making more money in that scenario too since they're getting a cut of the card sales. But yeah, completely agree. I'm out of the Market until Monday due to using the M&M money so I'd love if that counted.

I don't have much money left, I have Metro 2033, and the price of Last Ligth is tempting. But there are Redux versions coming. Pff I don't know what to do.

Eusis

That extreme situation sort of loops around though, in that they probably got so many games that man, why do they even NEED to win them? But in all normal situations (there's a few sales that caught their eye they went for, but they didn't get overly invested in this thing) it's definitely bullshit. Especially with the Mars thing getting some of our accounts locked up until near the end of the sale or right as it ends, so we basically get banned for wanting to use a prepaid card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom