• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

I like how that article, and some people, think that a Reddit post with 546 points was seriously popular and notable enough that it actually affected anything in the sale.

Easy enough to believe. You don't have to post in a thread to see what's in it, and what, really, is there to say? If you're in, you're in.

I find the "Valve rigged the competition! ZOMG!" arguments a lot harder to take seriously, to tell you the truth.

Zeliard

I like how that article, and some people, think that a Reddit post with 546 points was seriously popular and notable enough that it actually affected anything in the sale.

Do you think it's somehow a coincidence that right when that Reddit campaign started, every predicted team won by a landslide? What else would be the cause?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not as disturbing as this.

9kONtzB.jpg

edit: beaten

q4yME9d.gif

Anustart

Yeah, those three things pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as roguelike classification goes. Those are the broad strokes it has to hit. People who have never played a proper roguelike don't realize that turn-based is so important. All they've heard discussed is the difficulty and randomization, and the only games they've played in a similar vein are the likes of Binding of Isaac and Spelunky.

But those aren't roguelike. I think a group highly liable in this movement is games journalists themselves. You see the term "roguelike" misapplied in a lot of articles from writers who have seemingly no connection or knowledge of the proper genre at all. I'd reckon that's probably where the mislabeling originates.

Turn-based is crucial to the genre, just like you need action to be an action RPG. They're games that are like Rogue. If you're not turn-based, you're not particularly like Rogue now are you?

Non-Turn Based Roguelike it is then!

Lomax

We should just call them Isaac-likes and end this pointless semantic debate. BoI is a much better game than Rogue anyway.

Can you trade if you're locked out of the market?

Depends on the reason. If it's because you added a new device, then no (though you can still trade and use the market on previously authorized devices). If you got locked out due to a payment source, then yes (but it applies to all devices).

About an hour left on the 2K Collection giveaway:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Borderlands 2 -- MB-198FCE95A0775D16
XCOM Enemy Unknown -- MB-60C86FC32BAC186E
Bioshock Infinite -- MB-6079C6347DC100A9
Civilization V -- MB-0D808824503B3644

t1403670974z1.png
I realize most of us have Borderlands 2 already, but there's always someone who wants it.

The worst thing about developers and journalists calling some games roguelikes is when they do so on the basis of a game featuring random generation. Even traditional games in the genre use pre-generated maps on occasion, like Ancient Domains of Mystery.

Easy enough to believe. You don't have to post in a thread to see what's in it, and what, really, is there to say? If you're in, you're in.

I find the "Valve rigged the competition! ZOMG!" arguments a lot harder to take seriously, to tell you the truth.
Do you think it's somehow a coincidence that right when that Reddit campaign started, every predicted team won by a landslide? What else would be the cause?
I just find the last three teams being at essentially even point values highly suspect. Could that post have enough influence to decide the winning team each day? Possible. Could it have enough influence that the bottom three teams end up as equals every single day? Not sure how likely that is.

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i wish every game was Rogue-like

rogue-sleeve.jpg

wait, thats not what Rogue-likes are? well they should be!

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Just because.

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition Giveaway
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition -- MB-13648646F9604700 - Taken by Helmholtz. 37 entrants total.

t1403667920z1.png

BJK

Also another question. Right now I'm level 1. During the Community Choice.

It said: For every 3 votes I get a card. But since I'm not level 8 yet. I won't be getting them till I hit that level, then I will also get all the cards before it.

Now does that expire after June 30th? or if I get to level 8 after June 30th I can still get those cards?

The votes during the sale are what trigger the generation of community choice cards (at least they were during the last summer sale - my brother got shut out, having just missed the cut-off). You need to be Level 8 before you cast your last community choice vote in order to get your cards.

Pro Tip: You can get 200 xp (I think that's 2 levels in the early going) by getting the Community Ambassador badge, mostly for doing pretty basic stuff on your Steam Account. Click the 'Badges' tab in the app to see the full list of tasks.

Shadownet

Banned
So I created another steam account. I can't buy anything in the marketplace using it. goddamn it. I just want to buy some trading cards before they run out!

-MD-

It's not steam but I gotta say, Garden Warfare on PC is dope. You guys are missin out if you haven't played it.

MUnited83

For you.

So? All it takes is a big push on the beggining from a couple dozen whales and things snowball from there(just see the stats of your friends). There's a reason Reddit got every team right.

Of course you can believe that Valve is rigging it which realy doesn't make any sense.

It's not steam but I gotta say, Garden Warfare on PC is dope. You guys are missin out if you haven't played it.

I would love to play it, but the problem with MP-only games I have is, that you cant be sure how long the community will be active.

What if in 1 year no one plays this game anymore?

Deitus

Man, so many of you guys are so generous with your game giveaways. After winning a raffle yesterday, and also being gifted a game by a friend, I figured I should try being generous too.

So I have a copy of my favorite game that I picked up in last year's Steam Summer Sale, and one of the best games of 2013, up for grabs. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rogue Legacy -- MB-AB1C1405DDC4A6D0 - Taken by WinterDemons

t1403677470z1.png

I probably won't be awake when the raffle ends, so PM me if there's an issue with the gift, and I'll try to get it resolved in the morning.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy hell Far Cry 3 started wearing out its welcome early. I am collecting pieces to a compass to find some knife. Not sure how many hours I have played, maybe 12-15, but I don't know that I want to play much more. I have what seems to be all the guns, maxed out most of the relevant pouches, lots of the skills. It just feels so boring at this point. I did the pot field mission, I think I might be good.

You went out of your way. I basically did the bare minimum and finished in 12 hours. But yeah, the main missions are padding. The hunting could've been fun if the bow was unlocked earlier. The second island takes 26 or so main missions out of 38 to complete to even GET there.

But the second half starts to pick up but it's still "OH MY GOD WHY DID YOU PAD THIS!?"

(Also pick the obvious good ending, the bad one is TERRIBLE)

Are the original Fallouts any good? I bought them anyway, along with Fallout 3: GOTY.

Ahhh feels good knowing I got Skyrim: Legendary, New Vegas: Ultimate, and Fallout 3: GOTY all on dailies, which is what I came into the sale for, so it's been a resounding success for me.

Bought a few extra games while waiting on them, too (see. about 100).

Hugstable

Banned
Last call for Dark Souls

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Dark Souls -- MB-78845AAE2CDE5942 - Taken by Kaper. 69 entrants total.

t1403668574z1.png

Man, so many of you guys are so generous with your game giveaways. After winning a raffle yesterday, and also being gifted a game by a friend, I figured I should try being generous too.

So I have a copy of my favorite game that I picked up in last year's Steam Summer Sale, and one of the best games of 2013, up for grabs. Enjoy!

I probably won't be awake when the raffle ends, so PM me if there's an issue with the gift, and I'll try to get it resolved in the morning.

If I win this, am I allowed to trade it for Rage?

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Not entering this, but I just always wanted to tell you that I think you're really cool for doing so many giveaways of (relatively) expensive games. Thanks for being generous.

Thanks:) Just trying to give back to the place I've visited for 9 years now.

JDHarbs

Such generosity in here. It seems like there is someone giving away games just about every time I come by. SteamGAF is best GAF.

Pachimari

Oh boy, I'm at 95 games during this sales. I gotta make it a 100 - I'm just waiting for Dishonored GOTY, Anno 1404 GOTY and Resident Evil 4 HD.

-MD-

I would love to play it, but the problem with MP-only games I have is, that you cant be sure how long the community will be active.

What if in 1 year no one plays this game anymore?

All the more reason to jump in early and enjoy the game while it has a community.

I bought Twisted Metal on launch and soaked up as much multiplayer as I could before the community died, really glad I did.

Are the original Fallouts any good? I bought them anyway, along with Fallout 3: GOTY.

Ahhh feels good knowing I got Skyrim: Legendary, New Vegas: Ultimate, and Fallout 3: GOTY all on dailies, which is what I came into the sale for, so it's been a resounding success for me.

Fallout 1,2 and Tactics are good games, but very different. Fallout 3 was like a Reboot for the franchise. Check out some video's of them to see if they are up your alley, but for the price, it wouldn't hurt to check them out.

Turfster

The original fallouts are brilliant.
(1 and 2 anyway, I wasn't a big fan of Tactics)

Fallout 3 is my favorite game ever but I don't like the originals.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So I bought Blackwell Bundle on GoG earlier today.. mostly because I wasn't sure if it was going to win on Steam but also because GoG includes "Mac" versions... well I am glad that I FINALLY got them to work, but those quotes are there for a reason. They are wine-wrapped versions of the games, which are Windows only. Opening the dog I had to dig around the internet to both find how to fix an attribute problem on the apps as well as how to stop the "you don't have x11" prompt from coming up in Mavericks... any who I got that fixed and the games run in OS X just fine now. Put about an hour into the first game and damn... it is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Classic PnC with like B movie production values and B+ video game production values.. I've lamented the loss of the mid-tier developers on consoles and clearly see the industry is alive and healthy on PC..

Started playing Bioshock: Infinite. Took quite a bit longer to turn into a shooter than I was expecting.

Yeah. They really did nail the atmosphere. It's such a beautiful game.

Too bad that's the only thing that I really liked about it :\

Is the DLC worth the ~5 bucks?

I fucking loved Old World Blues so I would say yes. It was actually really funny at parts too.

I havent played much of the others though.

All you need is a handful of whales to change the course of events in something like this.

And even if the Reddit thing wasn't the cause, are you saying the perfect prediction of the winning teams was some kind of nefarious activity by Valve?

To what end do you conspiracy theorists think Valve rigged this for? What possible good would it do?

tmarg

What if a game is styled after Isaac? Non Turn Based Rogue-lite like. This gets deep.

There is actually a whole lot more to it. Honestly, the term Rogue-lite is terrible, and people should just stop comparing everything to Rogue, especially when they have never played it, or even any true Rogue-like. Most of those games are probably more inspired by Spelunky than Rogue anyway. McMillen has come out and sad as much, in the case of Isaac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom