• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Thanks Madridista for the game. :)

7f2db41766.png

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

What is the maximum amount of credit cards that you can use on Steam before you get locked out of using cards? I've gotten two of the M&Ms gift cards, I don't want to use anymore if I'm gonna be locked out for the rest of the sale. :/

I used two of them and am locked out until the 26th. I wouldn't chance it if I were you cause a week-long lockout will put you out of the summer sale.

The_Monk

Phew, took me 3 hours to finish this mission in Age of Empires 2 HD but it felt so good. Not only it's a great game for nostalgia purposes but I still can't believe the amazing price I paid for this and the DLC. Going to start my third Campaign to proceed the Story soon.

Already put around 12 hours in this game. More than happy with these sales and I can say I got an incredible value from my purchases so far. :)

...so

Anyone playing games in here? *runs*

Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Brutal Legend Steam Key -- MB-FFC29D87E2F2EF10 - Taken by Gunstarheroes. 12 entrants total.

t1403666679z1.png

Phew, took me 3 hours to finish this mission in Age of Empires 2 HD but it felt so good. Not only it's a great game for nostalgia purposes but I still can't believe the amazing price I paid for this and the DLC. Going to start my third Campaign to proceed the Story soon.

Already put around 12 hours in this game. More than happy with these sales and I can say I got an incredible value from my purchases so far. :)

...so

I've sunk about 14 hours into the PC version of Final Fantasy VII since grabbing it from the sale!

Shadownet

Banned
cards are tradable so I'd say yea, you can check in your inv. and see if they're tradable as well. Im pretty sure they are though, I can't check myself tho since I just sell those cards

Can someone help a guy out and buy me some of those Summer Cards from the Marketplace and send them to me? I will pay you back in Paypal or by buying you a game on steam roughly the same price.

Also another question. Right now I'm level 1. During the Community Choice.

It said: For every 3 votes I get a card. But since I'm not level 8 yet. I won't be getting them till I hit that level, then I will also get all the cards before it.

Now does that expire after June 30th? or if I get to level 8 after June 30th I can still get those cards?

Anustart

...so

Played 6 hours of Rogue Legacy today. Its too good. Killed 1st boss, pretty sure I'll never kill neo first boss.

Yakkue

Generally discounts only apply to the entire franchise when a game is a daily deal, flash/community deals only affect the game featured.

I don't think that's true, Final Fantasy VIII was a community choice winner and the other Final Fantasys were discounted, same with Batman Arkham Originas, when Scribblenauts Unlimited was a daily, Scribblenauts Unmasked was also discounted more, etc.
I believe Ubisoft didn't discount Origins because it's not on Uplay =/

Kadin

Can you trade if you're locked out of the market?
My understanding is that you can trade anything you already had prior to being locked out. Stuff like games and cards you've obtained since, are locked. Again that's just what I remember reading as I haven't tried myself.

...so

Been playing Age of empires 2 as well. The missions take fucking forever haha

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bastion -- MB-C6ECD7DDD2D833D0 - Taken by Falt. 17 entrants total.

t1403667220z1.png
Reminder.

koolaroo

I'm assuming this has already been posted but just in case it hasn't
http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/06/2...er-sale-and-how-valve-is-trying-to-stop-them/
I have to say this sale has been really disappointing so far. I'm not liking all the early-access games and the meta game is sooo money based. Man I wish we could go back to the achievement based meta-game. There doesn't even have to be any free games connected to the meta-game the old meta-game was just fun.

Yakkue

Can someone help a guy out and buy me some of those Summer Cards from the Marketplace and send them to me? I will pay you back in Paypal or by buying you a game on steam roughly the same price.

It said: For every 3 votes I get a card. But since I'm not level 8 yet. I won't be getting them till I hit that level, then I will also get all the cards before it.

Now does that expire after June 30th? or if I get to level 8 after June 30th I can still get those cards?

No, the cards expire on the last day of the sale (1 hour after the sale ends), so you won't be able to get them after that.

DeS3InY

Yes, it expires after June 30th because the cards expire by then

Mozendo

It's as much of an RPG as Oregon Trail is. Well, sort of.
I never played Oregon Trails. D:

Yeah, I'm about to sound real elitist, but the blatant misuse of the term "roguelike" over the years by people who have only vaguely heard of the genre but never actually played one is really bugging me. It's mostly coming from people who seemingly have heard that roguelikes are hard and random, but don't know anything beyond that. So they apply the term to any game that has permadeath and a sense of randomization.

But that's not all of what a roguelike is! That's just a game with permadeath and randomization. And not everything with those needs to be grouped together just because it has them.
Yeah, it really gets on my nerves and when I try to tell people that the popular games aren't rogue-likes and are rogue-lites they always link me to the game's steam page or the game websites where the developers label their games as a rouge-like, and the developers mislabeling their games bothers me even more.

But at least we do have games that acknowledge that they're not rogue-likes like Spelunky and Rogue Legacy, but of course they are more games mislabeled than their are ones properly labeled.

Also what do you consider a rogue-like?
For me they have to be randomization, permadeath, and turn-based.
Is that the accepted definition?

I also see people call the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games rogue-likes despite not having any permadeath, that makes them a (top-down view) dungeon-crawler right?

ah sorry man, I have no idea.

Morris

Disco Devil
Only thing I've done this sale is gifting. Not many games I want myself but it does feel nice to give things to friends.

Hope Dark Souls 2 goes on sale eventually.

hawk2025

I never played Oregon Trails. D:

Yeah, it really gets on my nerves and when I try to tell people that the popular games aren't rogue-likes and are rogue-lites they always link me to the game's steam page or the game websites where the developers label their games as a rouge-like, and the developers mislabeling their games bothers me even more.

But at least we do have games that acknowledge that they're not rogue-likes like Spelunky and Rogue Legacy, but of course they are more games mislabeled than their are ones properly labeled.

I also see people call the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games rogue-likes despite not having any permadeath, that makes them a (top-down view) dungeon-crawler right?

At some point, we just have to accept that the term has changed and morphed into something else. it's "like" in enough dimensions that the community has decided to adopt the term, and it's kind of like fighting windmills at this point!

zkylon

zkylewd
playing Nidhogg with a friend

kill him

throw sword

he respawns where the sword is going

hits him, dies again

=

http://youtu.be/xw6kIkDNW4I?t=9s

omgawd esports

I've been hearing so much about it and after I bought Alpha Protocol (another old game I should've played) I thought why not :p But I hate the pricing on EU side :( It seems that it is a lot cheaper on US or the Enhanced Steam is lying to me
bloodlines' def worth prolly whatever eu pricing scam they're pulling

like it may have been a shoddy deal but the game's pretty replayable and it's pretty lengthy overall and more importantly stupidly good so you're getting your money's worth for sure

Zeliard

Man, the vertical screen mode for Ikaruga is so cool. I played the game back on the 360 when I used to own one, but it was horizontally on a television. Going vertical is heaven-sent.

DSix

Banned
New page, new free game!
ModBot said:
Instructions for DSix:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Guacamelee -- MB-620D6ACA5787A097 - Taken by Toshin. 16 entrants total.

t1403667143z1.png

I'm assuming this has already been posted but just in case it hasn't
http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/06/2...er-sale-and-how-valve-is-trying-to-stop-them/
I have to say this sale has been really disappointing so far. I'm not liking all the early-access games and the meta game is sooo money based. Man I wish we could go back to the achievement based meta-game. There doesn't even have to be any free games connected to the meta-game the old meta-game was just fun.
I like how that article, and some people, think that a Reddit post with 546 points was seriously popular and notable enough that it actually affected anything in the sale.

Shadownet

Banned
No, the cards expire on the last day of the sale (1 hour after the sale ends), so you won't be able to get them after that.

damn...

ah sorry man, I have no idea.

Hey, could someone help me out? I need to buy some cards on the Steam Marketplace. I can't do it cause I'm locked out.

I will pay you back in either Paypal or buy you a game of your choice that is roughly around the price that you paid for the trading cards. I need to get to level 8 before the summer sale ends

Yeah, those three things pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as roguelike classification goes. Those are the broad strokes it has to hit. People who have never played a proper roguelike don't realize that turn-based is so important. All they've heard discussed is the difficulty and randomization, and the only games they've played in a similar vein are the likes of Binding of Isaac and Spelunky.

But those aren't roguelike. I think a group highly liable in this movement is games journalists themselves. You see the term "roguelike" misapplied in a lot of articles from writers who have seemingly no connection or knowledge of the proper genre at all. I'd reckon that's probably where the mislabeling originates.

Turn-based is crucial to the genre, just like you need action to be an action RPG. They're games that are like Rogue. If you're not turn-based, you're not particularly like Rogue now are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom