• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

SHHH - I just bloody bought it :p

tumblr_m6cvot25tS1qb8kps.gif

Not from Uruguay, but I am amazed how easy it is for some people to use Football as an excuse to spit out insults for other countries without giving any regard for other members that may be offended. I guess the fact that they're behind a computer screen makes it even easier

Neogaf is a horrible place after all. The Steam community/threads are an exception but everything else is shit

I can think of one other sports thread, or serious of threads where one person in particular is constantly spouting racist epitaphs. Have no idea how he's gotten away with it for so long and he tends to destroy any sense of community in those threads.

Played some more Dark Souls. Finding it really annoying that every time I restore Humanity, I have some high level asshole with godly gear invading my game and trolling me. Even if I fight better than them, they just run away, restore all their health and come back.

What's the point of that feature? Can't they at least make the fights somewhat fair to prevent people who have hundreds of hours in the game from griefing noobs?
Well, it does actually have a system to make the fights fair. You can only invade/be invaded by players within a certain range of your levels. You're not being invaded by "some high level asshole." You're just being invaded by someone good who is near your level.

Plus, if you don't want invaded that's what soul form is for.

Managed to get some cards traded on the Steam Card Exchange. That place is goddamn awesome, and I got my badge and team point so I'm in the very very very very (x25) slim running for my wishlist games.

Also beat Blackwell Legacy in one day. That is a great game and looking forward to playing the rest of the bundle.

Well, it does actually have a system to make the fights fair. You can only invade/by invaded by players within a certain range of your levels. You're not being invaded by "some high level asshole." You're just being invaded by someone good who is near your level.

Or a cheater ;)

Managed to get some cards traded on the Steam Card Exchange. That place is goddamn awesome, and I got my badge and team point so I'm in the very very very very (x25) slim running for my wishlist games.

Also beat Blackwell Legacy in one day. That is a great game and looking forward to playing the rest of the bundle.

The chance to win the wishlisted games doesnt have anything to do with how many points you contributed. It is totally random.

Evo X

Well, it does actually have a system to make the fights fair. You can only invade/by invaded by players within a certain range of your levels. You're not being invaded by "some high level asshole." You're just being invaded by someone good who is near your level.

Plus, if you don't want invaded that's what soul form is for.

Well, let's just call him a near level asshole then. :D

Either way, he definitely had more HP, better equipment, a ton of bombs, and was able to restore full health with a single Estus Flask. Not exactly the most pleasant experience for someone playing a Souls game for the first time.

The chance to win the wishlisted games doesnt have anything to do with how many points you contributed. It is totally random.

Wait, so everyone on the red team is now in the raffle? No more need for at least one point to be in it? I was just being hyperbolic with the amount of the word "very" because I expect thousands of people to be involved to win their wishlist games and the chances are really slim, but a chance nonetheless.

Wait, so everyone on the red team is now in the raffle? No more need for at least one point to be in it? I was just being hyperbolic with the amount of the word "very" because I expect thousands of people to be involved to win their wishlist games and the chances are really slim, but a chance nonetheless.

Oh. Thats what you mean. Yeah, you still need one point.
I thought you meant because you "just" contributed 25 points, your chances are slimer compared to people from your team who contributed more.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Divius

Well, let's just call him a near level asshole then. :D

Either way, he definitely had more HP, better equipment, a ton of bombs, and was able to restore full health with a single Estus Flask. Not exactly the most pleasant experience for someone playing a Souls game for the first time.
Hello my name is Divius and I am a lvl1 darkwraith (sometimes).

I've got a level 1 character that I use to invade low level players. But unlike other dickwraiths I don't instakill new players, I give them a fighting chance. Teach them to block properly, allow them to heal. Follow them around as they progress through the level, show them where items are etc. I usually kill them in the end anyway though.

But yes, people like you mentioned exist as well. They have fully upgraded gear and weapons, plus all the items they could wish for. There really is no point in fighting them, because they can kill you in a single hit and your just better of running back to the nearest bonfire and die there so your lost souls are near the spawn.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

He was just making the point that contributing more than one point doesn't increase your chances of winning; that selection is entirely random outside of the aforementioned requirement.

Edit: Beaten.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Found some more keys in my bundles. I had to click to reveal the key code on half, so I'm pretty sure they haven't been used, but who knows if HB has fucked up and forgotten what I revealed and what I didn't. The rest are HB gift links so they should legit work. If something doesn't work, PM me and I'll try to use my extensive knowledge to gift something that is fun but won't kill my wallet. They might go to lurkers anyway because the only rule... is that there are no rules.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
Desura Humble Indie Bundle 2 -- MB-06145119B2DA9642 - Taken by Wyatt Smee
ulgzbKC.png
Desura Humble Indie Bundle 3 -- MB-26DAC6DBCB5AC092 - Taken by Mikurden
Europa Uuniversalis 3 Complete -- MB-90FA52624A8ACA35 - Taken by tmarques
Planet Stronghold -- MB-CC3930524E0B0E6C - Taken by Widdly Scuds
NEO Scavenger -- MB-6923900821A2690A - Taken by Gianni Merryman
The Showdown Effect -- MB-DBDB8E16B31717AC - Taken by Diggeh
F.E.A.R. 3 -- MB-448E9C21212F0EC9 - Taken by Sourtreats
Cortex Command -- MB-067164E7B44A4241 - Taken by Sarobi
F.E.A.R. 2 -- MB-CECE8C6E1F7FC9D7 - Taken by ImSooFlye

redranger.gif

Go Team Red!

Shame to find out Broken Age didn't win and by the looks of the next community choice, I won't be buying anything until 6pm GMT.

Arthea

Was Wolfenstein always at 33% off or is that an early change for the next flash sale in half an hour?

no, discount was added not long ago, some 6-8 hours ago, I doubt it's in preparation for daily or flash, as it wasn't on sale before, so unlikely to get higher discount than this.

He was just making the point that contributing more than one point doesn't increase your chances of winning; that selection is entirely random outside of the aforementioned requirement.

Edit: Beaten.

Oh. Thats what you mean. Yeah, you still need one point.
I thought you meant because you "just" contributed 25 points, your chances are slimer compared to people from your team who contributed more.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oh, okay. I see what you were saying now. Nah, easy misunderstanding. I think my (x25) came off wrong, hehe.

Found some more keys in my bundles. I had to click to reveal the key code on half, so I'm pretty sure they haven't been used, but who knows if HB has fucked up and forgotten what I revealed and what I didn't. The rest are HB gift links so they should legit work. If something doesn't work, PM me and I'll try to use my extensive knowledge to gift something that is fun but won't kill my wallet. They might go to lurkers anyway because the only rule... is that there are no rules.

Thank you so much for F.E.A.R.3. You are a babe.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks a ton for The Showdown Effect! Looks crazy fun.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
back from the bank after (as expected) not finding my card anyware, my account was fine so thats good, but I had to cancel the card and ask for a new one which will take... 1 week lol. So, thats pretty much my sale done halfway through :/ oh well

Funny moment, when I asked for any movements the last few days, and the lady goes "err...have you been outside of the country" and I look at the statement and its all the steam charges lol. Im like "yeah those are fine dont worry" :p

So yeah, huge bummer, my last hope is that they sell steam cards in the mall or something, I never seen them but then again I never really looked for them either (I know they exist in portugal but Ive never seen them where I live)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
back from the bank after (as expected) not finding my card anyware, my account was fine so thats good, but I had to cancel the card and ask for a new one which will take... 1 week lol. So, thats pretty much my sale done halfway through :/ oh well

Funny moment, when I asked for any movements the last few days, and the lady goes "err...have you been outside of the country" and I look at the statement and its all the steam charges lol. Im like "yeah those are fine dont worry" :p

So yeah, huge bummer, my last hope is that they sell steam cards in the mall or something, I never seen them but then again I never really looked for them either (I know they exist in portugal but Ive never seen them where I live)

That sucks :/ at least your card wasn't used.

You could always organise a direct debit transfer from your bank account to your paypal account. I have no idea what you're spending has been like but I'm sure you could cover yourself for the rest of the sales.

Arthea

it's still great outcome, even with waiting a week, believe me I know what I'm saying.
At least nobody used your card to buy a car or harley davidson (><)

edited: I'm pretty sure I never have seen steam cards on sale anywhere, strange as it is, xbla and psn, sure, steam? never.

Volimar

So, roguelike won...

Damn Rhaknar, what capricious God of misery did you tick off?

ImSooFlye

thanks man

Sorry to hear about the possibility of card fraud. I think the PayPal bank account option's okay, though I haven't linked up myself.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Just buy a paysafecard

Sky Chief

no, discount was added not long ago, some 6-8 hours ago, I doubt it's in preparation for daily or flash, as it wasn't on sale before, so unlikely to get higher discount than this.

It was on sale from the beginning of the Summer Sale for 33% off, then not on sale for a day for some reason, now back on sale.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well, at least I can finally have input for a game on sale. Noir Syndrome ramblings:

Noir Syndrome has been updated since I played it, so apparently some of the things I didn't like about it have been fixed.At least it shows that the devs intend to keep improving it, which is good. I think one of the main problems I had with it, the hunger meter that you can't really see constantly going down too fast by doing anything, was fixed, for example. Anyway, Noir Syndrome is a procedurally generated murder mystery game, which sounds great in concept, but sort of dull in execution. Playthroughs are short and generally last 10-15 minutes max. The noir theme is well done when it comes to both the graphical touches, though it's definitely not the prettiest game that uses this art style, and the soundtrack, which has some really catchy moments to it. The basic story of every game has a cool premise in which you have to stop a serial killer inspired by Egyptian mythology from killing the mayor. The mob may or may not be after you depending on what difficulty level you choose, or if you rob them later in the game when given the opportunity. You can lockpick doors, find evidence, and talk to people to find suspects. It should be fun. It sounds like fun. But it wasn't really that fun for me. Tapping Z every few seconds and walking around are the main things you'll do in this game; sometimes you'll press another button to shoot NPCs. But that's basically it. You go through the same areas every time, everything feels almost the same each time you play the game, but with a little variation. The other mode, the dinner party mode, that's a little more engaging since guests go mad and try to kill you, which becomes more frequent on higher difficulties. Costumes and some of the in game achievements, called "badges," feel too grindy for me to even feel like going after. I just didn't have a lot of fun with it. It's still a great concept, and I'd love to see more procedural mystery games like this but improved in the future.

Arthea

It was on sale from the beginning of the Summer Sale for 33% off, then not on sale for a day for some reason, now back on sale.

No... it wasn't, it's in my wishlist, which I checked right at the start of this sale and on some other days, it really was not. Or it was changed so fast I never noticed it was, what's possibility.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

no it wasnt

edit: also this community is shit with voting

Copons

Argh that sucks.
I got my card forged (or whatever, a site I bought stuff for work got hacked) a couple of months ago, and the feeling is awful, so at least you're fine on that matter.

Still that sucks the hardest for the worst timing ever to lose a card. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom