• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, is Dark Souls worth getting if I already own the PS3 version? Why? I know this is the Steam sales thread but I'd like unbiased opinions if possible.

If you want to play through it again it definitely is. Much better looking, better FPS and includes the DLC (if you haven't played that already)

By the way, the controller support in Betrayer isn't all there yet. Some of the controls plainly don't work, the menus are pretty tough to navigate (they really should just let us move a cursor), but the most annoying part is that the controls for navigating your map and the controls for (for instance) tossing an explosive are the same. So you'll be going through your map, and suddenly you'll blow yourself to bits.

Pachimari

I actually think those "amount of money spent" and lists of games should be saved for the end of the sales period, like suggested earlier in the thread.

Zafir

And some people have been caught and locked out. It is a risk you take.
The only people who get locked out are the ones who keep the VPN on when logging in and buying. That sets of alarms when a purchase is made from a country different to the user and blocks them from buying on origin. You can also get it removed by support.

Edit: Also it's worth noting its a digital River lockout not origin. Same thing happens on uplay too.

Jeremy

Hey guys, is Dark Souls worth getting if I already own the PS3 version? Why? I know this is the Steam sales thread but I'd like unbiased opinions if possible.

That's really up to you. Do you want to spend an additional 30-45m initial setup for DSfix? Do you want a better looking (actually it's beautiful at high resolutions) experience? Do you have a controller? Most importantly, do you want to play it again?

So what's the rules about people winning a game you gave away through ModBot, that don't activate the key? Gave away a copy of Pixeljunk Shooter 2 days ago, that was won, but still haven't been claimed, so it's sitting in my inventory still.

I need some help here. Was playing Skyrim when all of a sudden the game closed on me. IT didn't minimized the windows, it just closed. No warning no sound, NOTHING! Had this happen with other games too. WTF?!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The only people who get locked out are the ones who keep the VPN on when logging in and buying. That sets of alarms when a purchase is made from a country different to the user and blocks them from buying on origin. You can also get it removed by support.
How do you buy something from Mexico without buying a game from a different country than yours?

Nabs

That's really up to you. Do you want to spend an additional 30-45m initial setup for DSfix? Do you want a better looking (actually it's beautiful at high resolutions) experience? Do you have a controller? Most importantly, do you want to play it again?

35-45 minutes? DSFix is pretty straightforward.

JakeD

i think the sale had a strong start but the last few days i've spent about $4 total on random DLC and cards. it's annoying that most of the dailies have been cheaper on other sites over the past few months. and that it's mostly former bundle games that are dominating the flash. but most annoying is that new "lowest-price-evers" keep losing in community votes

Anteater

i think the sale had a strong start but the last few days i've spent about $4 total on random DLC and cards. it's annoying that most of the dailies have been cheaper on other sites over the past few months. and that it's mostly former bundle games that are dominating the flash. but most annoying is that new "lowest-price-evers" keep losing in community votes

Flash deals have been a lot of repeats from the "winners" too, I'd hope the ones that lost in community votes will pop up soon.

Bear in mind the Russian price is only £30ish, so if it's a really rare game you may be getting ripped off.

As for why it's that price, it includes all the expansions and DLC they'll ever release. They've said they're planning on releasing content for it for a good couple of years.

...and where would this 30 pound price be at? :O

Facism

So what's the rules about people winning a game you gave away through ModBot, that don't activate the key? Gave away a copy of Pixeljunk Shooter 2 days ago, that was won, but still haven't been claimed, so it's sitting in my inventory still.

is that a playstation key, btw? Didn't realise that shooter 2 isn't on steam :( Was bummed when i got the end of Shooter 1 earlier :(

Linkark07

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Torchlight -- MB-D4456E8CC28B5F2B - Taken by kris.. 5 entrants total.

t1403719091z1.png

If anyone here missed the GoG Torchlight game, you can get a key. Already had it when they gave it away last year (I think).

Jeremy

Most of my time was figuring out a proper downscaled resolution for my machine and reading about which settings are best, the 30 vs 60 FPS problems and I guess I should have mentioned the snags you can run into with GFWL. One you get it all set up it's permanent though.

Ventara

If you want to play through it again it definitely is. Much better looking, better FPS and includes the DLC (if you haven't played that already)

I only ended up playing it for about an hour on the PS3, but have decided to give it another go. Does that change anything?

I am kind of a lazy gamer, and don't care THAT much about graphics, so right now the PS3 version seems more appealing to me, especially since I save $5. Was just curious if the benefits of PC Dark Souls was enough for me to give those up.

Anustart

I'm currently locked out of the market, would any kind soul be available to take some cards off my hands, sell them, then gift me Pac-Man All you can edition?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Possibility A:
That person is a little busy and hasn't been around their computer to activate the gift.

Possibility B:
You didn't copy the right URL and you should follow up with the winner to work this out

Possibility C:
They're a jerk and plan to resell or trade the game in violation of the guidelines offered for ModBot.

There aren't really any rules, the whole thing is sort of self-policing, but if you believe the person is acting in bad faith then you should probably PERMABLOCK that user and encourage others to do the same in order to make sure that the user in question is added to the community blacklist.

BibiMaghoo

How can a game be in your inventory if you gave a key out? I never understood this. I thought if a game was a key, it couldn't have been purchased through Steam, and therefore cannot be in inventory. How does one buy something as a key on Steam?

Anustart

How can a game be in your inventory if you gave a key out? I never understood this. I thought if a game was a key, it couldn't have been purchased through Steam, and therefore cannot be in inventory. How does one buy something as a key on Steam?

If you email the gift (to get the link you feed modbot), the game will sit in your inventory until the link is clicked.

It ain't easy being red.

I keep seeing complaints about the quality of this sale. Am I the only one who thinks it's been pretty good? Outside of community fumbles there have been a lot of good, exciting new titles as pretty nice deals.
I think so too. While some of the "Early Access" sales are something I am not personally pleased about (but I understand this is merely a personal displeasure), overall I think the sales have been quite good with a wide variety of things available at generally nice discounts. I would agree with Jeremy's assessment that the wide variety of sales in other online marketplaces (perhaps with more considerable discounts) and its annual nature combined with the various other sales scattered throughout the year resulting in avid fans to have purchased many of the featured games already, may seem to lessen the quality of this sale in the eyes of some individuals. I will admit I don't like the metagame that's present (and would, knowing I've stated this repeatedly already, prefer something similar to the 'coal' Christmas sale), but it seems as if many others are, so I really cannot find too much fault with the sale thus far.

EDIT: Also I seem to have spent €57.4, with roughly €10 of that (Sonic Unlimited, Surgeon Simulator, and Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy) on gifts . I've €42.39 left in my Steam wallet.

Just bought Rocksmith , it is one of the hardest games I've ever played. Never have I felt more tempted to chuck the "controller" across the room.

Really? How new are you to guitar? I find it pretty easy. Is there any way I can skip through the whole 'slowly easing you into the song' when you start a new song? That really puts me off playing it, it's boring and un-challenging for me until about the 6th playthrough of one song.

masterkajo

Ok, for anyone who even just looked at the Dark Souls banner on the store badge - No, who ever only heard the words Dark and Souls (not necessarily consecutively) ows it (even if owning the game on PS3 and/or Xbox360) to him/herself and is urged by me to pick up Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Steam.

giphy.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace

is there a guide somewhere? I had problems trying to get it working on my 7950 before, so I haven't played it since (already finished it on PS3 but would be nice to see the Durante version)

I only ended up playing it for about an hour on the PS3, but have decided to give it another go. Does that change anything?

I am kind of a lazy gamer, and don't care THAT much about graphics, so right now the PS3 version seems more appealing to me, especially since I save $5. Was just curious if the benefits of PC Dark Souls was enough for me to give those up.

I definitely would if I were in your shoes. I don't care a ton about graphics either but the framerate makes a huge difference... there are some areas on console where Dark Souls starts to chug badly. Also I'm not sure if you have the DLC but it seems like most people think very highly of it (I haven't played the DLC myself, sadly). The only reason I wouldn't get DS on PC is if you don't have a controller to play it with on PC (and don't want to buy one).

Ok, for anyone who even just looked at the Dark Souls banner on the store badge - No, who ever only heard the words Dark and Souls (not necessarily consecutively) ows it (even if owning the game on PS3 and/or Xbox360) to him/herself and is urged by me to pick up Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Steam.

giphy.gif

I still haven't played it. SOME DAY.

aku:jiki

Picking up Rogue Legacy was a wise decision after all! I immediately regretted it since it's such a Bundle Game™ but now I know I'm going to play the hell out of this. Like pretty much everything about it except for two things... The Metroidvania aspect is pretty forced and often bullshit - if I just cleared the Fairy Chest challenge, why does the chest itself need to be a triple jump away when I only have double jump? Come on son. Also, it sucks when all three of your descendants have the same drawback. Was just forced to play in sepia mode because all of them had it. :/

Noticed Nuclear Throne is the only Vlambeer game with a 0% discount. Bring on the 90% flash!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Really wanted MGS Rising but couldn't justify the £9.99 as i alread yhave it on ps3. Next sale, i guess.

I'll buy it for you, next sale.

Jeremy said:
Titanfall is honestly my most regrettable gaming purchase in the past 5 years.

So I guess you could say... *sunglasses*

You have seen Manufactured Hype?

Yeahhhhhhhhhh?

By the way, the controller support in Betrayer isn't all there yet. Some of the controls plainly don't work, the menus are pretty tough to navigate (they really should just let us move a cursor), but the most annoying part is that the controls for navigating your map and the controls for (for instance) tossing an explosive are the same. So you'll be going through your map, and suddenly you'll blow yourself to bits.

Yep, I've done this to myself as well. At least you use both the K/M and controller at the same time. I've only spent about an hour playing it, but so far I must say I find it quite enjoyable. I really like being able to switch from black and white to color anytime I want. It is well worth the three dollars I paid for it this sale.

Beelzebubs

giphy.gif

If I had £2 extra in my wallet I would, don't think I'll have enough card drops though. We shall see!

Ventara

I definitely would if I were in your shoes. I don't care a ton about graphics either but the framerate makes a huge difference... there are some areas on console where Dark Souls starts to chug badly. Also I'm not sure if you have the DLC but it seems like most people think very highly of it (I haven't played the DLC myself, sadly). The only reason I wouldn't get DS on PC is if you don't have a controller to play it with on PC (and don't want to buy one).

I have a PS3 controller that I occasionally use with some program for some games. That should work, right?

thebloo

Do it, man. A proper framerate in Blighttown (and everywhere else) and the game can look real pretty. Check it out: http://deadendthrills.com/gallery/?gid=100

Anteater

Played some castle crashers solo, it's a bit mashy at times but I'm having fun with it, it's a bit better than I expected and will definitely give online coop a go sometime.

Anustart

Can you add me on Steam?

Sure, what's your id? I'm kefkamaydie by the way.

Edit: My calculator says I have 4.11 in cards before valve's cut, so it should be right at the game price afterwards. If it's a few cents shy I'll gift somethin soon to cover the couple pennies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom