• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
My purchases so far:
Rogue Legacy
Tomb Raider ROW
Can't Stop Laughing Bundle
Skyrim
Terraria
Dragon Age: Origins
Age of Empires II HD + The Forgotten Expansion

I'll probably pick up Brothers today as well. Not a bad sale so far, but I didn't bother with the last Steam sale.

I've only played Skyrim so far, but I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would. However, I'm about 10 hours in, and the walking around for long periods of time not knowing where I'm going is starting to get a little old.
That's a great haul, I'd highly recommend brothers. It's a quick journey and well worth it.

As for Skyrim, utilize the fast travel system. Once you discover a place you can fast travel to it. Saves a lot of time. :)

Videospel

Saw an offer of 8 copies of Valiant Hearts for 2 keys. And that sort of deal is completely risk free? Thinking of getting some keys, just to be ready when opportunities like this strike.

Salsa

Valiant Hearts keeping the "really?" steam name tradition alive

QakAeGB.png

shit doesnt even fit in the box

Faerith

Neo Member
I haven't been following the thread too closely so someone probably already brought it up, but has anyone else noticed some flash deals not actually being additional discounts, but rather just putting them on the front page? I noticed it a couple times in other sales but it's been a handful already this sale. For instance right now Mirror's Edge and Next Car Game. IIRC Tomb Raider as well.

As far as I noticed- yes. Then again the discounts seem so lackluster this time.
(though I was quite happy with X-COM Complete, such a nice game)
Mirrors Edge has actually it's lowest price today (during this sale) as far as I noticed- it was 50% the whole time and I've been waiting for the 75% price. ^^

Jeremy

Saw an offer of 8 copies of Valiant Hearts for 2 keys. And that sort of deal is completely risk free? Thinking of getting some keys, just to be ready when opportunities like this strike.

Yes. I would jump on it too if you're wanting the game before people start running out. The game was 13 cents, that ain't happening again any time soon.

I missed a Go Go Nippon giveaway while i was afk. :(

i guess i'm not going to nippon any time soon.

How badly do you want the game?

Is any of the DLC for Arkham Origins worth going for? Thinking about picking it up but don't know whether that DLC is essential or worth the price. Might pick up Enslaved also, didn't even know the game was on PC til I saw it in that Giveaway earlier.

The Cold, Cold Heart DLC is the only must play (if you have interest in playing some of the DLC).

That's a great haul, I'd highly recommend brothers. It's a quick journey and well worth it.

As for Skyrim, utilize the fast travel system. Once you discover a place you can fast travel to it. Saves a lot of time. :)

Thank you. I figured I had to be doing something wrong. Taking in the world was nice for awhile but it's time to get things going.

Chariot

Is any of the DLC for Arkham Origins worth going for? Thinking about picking it up but don't know whether that DLC is essential or worth the price. Might pick up Enslaved also, didn't even know the game was on PC til I saw it in that Giveaway earlier.
Cold, Cold Heart is alright. But when I tried it, it was so bugriddled that I gave up after a 10 or 20 minutes. In this short time I was stuck twice in walls, once opening the door and even after the first cute scene, resulting in me getting beat up with nothing else to to than turnaround. Also KI was so "good" that they needed a whole minute until I was dead despite me doing nothing but turning around.

jblank83

I didn't have any excitement from that. But that's only my opinion.

I couldn't care less about the game. It's funny that anyone really does. Even if your team wins, the odds that you yourself will win the free games is miniscule. It's like playing the lottery. So it's absolutely not worth spending even one penny of my money on tokens, extra cards, or whatnot. IMO, this is one of the weaker meta-games Valve has done.

All I care about, as far as games go, are the sales. The discussion surrounding the game is amusing, though. And at the end of the sale, I'll spend a few cents to buy any cards I need to craft the badge, as a memento.

Lemme help with the thread derailment then...
EDIT: not sure this was exactly directed at me, but i'll remove the image, seeing the mods think it's for the better.

Enco

Valiant Hearts keeping the "really?" steam name tradition alive

QakAeGB.png

shit doesnt even fit in the box
I honestly don't get some devs.

Devs that give their games silly or overly long names blow my mind. Why? Do they not think it through? Do they think it's cool? Do you want to be trolls? Do they have to legally do it?

Opinions: I just sold all of my backlog of steam trading cards for mad cash (made about $3) which is enough for Fallout: New Vegas (without expansions).

Is it worth it? The only other fallout I played was a bit of the original when it was free on gog a year or two ago. It was reasonably fun, but I know this is a very different experience... that said, I'd mostly be going in blind.

And if it is worth it, is it worth it to chip in $5 and get the ultimate edition with all of the extras?

Fallout: New Vegas, in my opinion, is quite excellent. The gameplay is somewhat similar to Oblivion and Skyrim, but the VATS system makes it more enjoyable, and I personally find that there's a far greater degree of choice with regard to levelling your character while having more limits imposed (Fallout 3 has far fewer limits in comparison, but this isn't really a negative, it's just different and encourages replays). The quest lines are interesting, possessing a decent variety and a wide range of choice, while the world is build quite well and allows for a real sense of progression. The levelling system is quite comprehensive and you've a variety of different types of builds that you can go down which have a decent impact upon the game. There is also an impressive amount of choices available to you as a player, with a decent amount of reprecussions based upon these choices (Fallout 3 has far fewer reprecussions, and is much more open in comparison which, again, isn't a bad thing but is just different).

EDIT: Sorry posted without finishing. Both New Vegas and Fallout 3 are on sale, and I believe at the same price for the complete edition, and it is important to keep in mind that they offer two different experiences despite being very similar. New Vegas is more comparable to the older Fallout games (including the original that you played) than Fallout 3 is, but overall I think both are very enjoyable games. I would think, personally, that New Vegas is the superior game overall, but I know some prefer Fallout 3 to New Vegas, so it's important to keep in mind while you're choosing to purchase a Fallout game.

With regards to the Ultimate version or not, I don't care for Dead Money (which I, quite frankly, hated) or Lonesome Road, but Honest Hearts and Old World Blues (in particular) are fantastic, so I would very much recommend it, even though there is still a large amount of content in the base game.

The direction this thread is heading in...
I like it

I'm planning on holding off on CSGO until tomorrow. $7 is too pricey for me this late in the sale.

AcridMeat

Banned
As far as I noticed- yes. Then again the discounts seem so lackluster this time.
(though I was quite happy with X-COM Complete, such a nice game)
Mirrors Edge has actually it's lowest price today (during this sale) as far as I noticed- it was 50% the whole time and I've been waiting for the 75% price. ^^
Mirror's Edge might have been a daily, but it was also recently a weekly or daily. I don't know it's been $5 a lot recently which is why I may be confusing it with my point here. There's still been a few other games that fall under the scenario. It's just weird at this point.

Zeliard

Guys, a few of us in the mod crew have gone to bat for this thread in various discussions that may have led to notable changes to the way things currently are, and you aren't really helping. Please cut that stuff out.

Chariot

I couldn't care less about the game. Even if your team wins, the odds that you yourself will win the free games is miniscule. It's like playing the lottery. So it's absolutely not worth spending even one penny of my money on tokens, extra cards, or whatnot.

All I care about, as far as games go, are the sales. The discussion surrounding the game is amusing, though. And at the end of the sale, I'll spend a few cents to buy any cards I need to craft the badge, as a memento.
That is true enough, but I really enjoyed watching the teams race each other on day 1 and 2. Especialy the head to head on day 2 was super fun. Also the faux MyTeam > YourTeam is fun, too.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
So, my head hurts and reading the modbot instructions made them hurt even more, so I did this wrong apparently. So to the winner, please just PM me once you win and I will give this game to you in a steam trade. Sorry.

Enjoy.
Oh, this Includes 2 items: Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition, Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition

(I am putting this out there to please the strategy gods because I really want a EU4 sale soon)

ModBot said:
Instructions for MikeDip:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Galactic Civilizations Complete pack -- MB-4F47D62BAE25AC32 - Taken by Sub Zero. 12 entrants total.

t1403735187z1.png

Jeremy

I honestly don't get some devs.

Devs that give their games silly or overly long names blow my mind. Why? Do they not think it through? Do they think it's cool? Do you want to be trolls? Do they have to legally do it?

idk, from what I've read the protagonist is French and I think it's kind of cool they went with it and sort of immersive to me personally. i think the problem is, if you left the game in french no one could find it.

firen

ModBot said:
Instructions for firen:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Torchlight -- MB-89A5427E66BAF1DB - Taken by Kiru. 6 entrants total.

t1403735537z1.png

Yay!

rtcn63

Okay, sorry, stopping. Back to games.

Positive Hardcore will win the community choice due to uber cheap games. They're still good games, but I'm guessing most people have them from bundles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom