• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannerbot

So I shattered my thumb over the weekend and can't really play anything intense. Does anyone have any suggestions for slow paced games, ala Civ 5, I can play while I heal up? :(

Desktop Dungeons, One Way Heroics, Tales of Maj'Eyal, or other roguelikes like Brogue or Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (not on Steam but they are free).

Tellaerin

I don't think anyone that has given a $30 game hasn't also already given a bunch of bundle or sale games :p

I don't know, man. I'm just brainstorming here. My point was that the "megagiver" thing seems like it's meant to identify the folks who go above and beyond for the community, but the way the selection criteria are set up now makes it kind of meaningless.

The problem is that there's no easy way I can think of to hardcode "value". I mean, personally, I'd say a giveaway for some well-regarded game that's normally fairly expensive (regardless of whether or not it's on sale at the time) should count for more than some bundle spares when determining whether or not somebody's a "megagiver", but there doesn't seem to be an easy way for a program to determine that. Manually flagging people as megagivers would work, but that would require someone to make the call, and I suspect Stump wouldn't want that headache.

Just one of those problems that doesn't seem to have an easy solution.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

mannerbot

Just one of those problems that doesn't seem to have an easy solution.

To the contrary, I think that the solution is pretty easy. If you want to give a game away to an actual "megagiver" then everybody knows who they are, so just gift it to one of them directly. Otherwise, yeah, it's just a giveaway for fun and not based on who deserves to win a pricey game the most.

Deques

Really? I remember when the iPad version came out people were praising it.

(But maybe just as a mobile game)

It's a bad bad port. You probably have heard bad ported games. This is the baddest of them all

The devs never bothered to make it any good game for computers

adburns

I've voted about 9 times for the Community Choice games but I haven't received a single card yet. Are they released at the end of the sale, or something?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
To the contrary, I think that the solution is pretty easy. If you want to give a game away to an actual "megagiver" then everybody knows who they are, so just gift it to one of them directly. Otherwise, yeah, it's just a giveaway for fun and not based on who deserves to win a pricey game the most.

Do note that the people you are referring to haven't actually complained about modbot :p

I only complain when modbot isn't used, give everyone a chance bastards >_>

Still salty about that lol

I've voted about 9 times for the Community Choice games but I haven't received a single card yet. Are they released at the end of the sale, or something?

Are you Level 8 or above? If not you will receive your cars if/when you get to L8. Stops people creating infinite accounts to farm cards I suppose.

MadGear

No, you get 1 card every 3rd vote. What steam level are you? I believe collecting these cards is only possible at level 5 to avoid people abusing this by mass creating fake accounts.

tmarg

Are you over level 8 on your steam profile? You can't get cards from voting otherwise.

Tizoc

You should get a card every 3 votes, but I think they only drop if you are Steam Level 8 or higher >_>;

Help me out here guys. Does anyone know if Wasteland 2 is set to change in price at release? Is going to go up/down/stay-the-same? I'm trying to decide if I want to grab it now or wait.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Help me out here guys. Does anyone know if Wasteland 2 is set to change in price at release? Is going to go up/down/stay-the-same? I'm trying to decide if I want to grab it now or wait.

Grief said down

hepburn3d

Nothing really jumps out to me in the current Flash sale. Roll on 10am (GMT).

Has anyone figured out how to see and trade cards on the Steam iOS app?

Can anyone invite me to the NeoGaf Steam group? I don't have a big Steam friends list so have no way of trading. (username: uselessjeans)

adburns

Thanks everyone, looks like i'm only Lvl 7!

Actually looks like I'm nearly lvl 8.

I didn't even know Steam had a leveling system, what's the best way to level, buy games?

Tizoc

As a member of Team Green, I have learn that modesty is necessary and essential in this sale, so letting other teams win in a following day is a must we do not want to incur their wrath
iLU57pB.gif

Evo X

I won one of these and cannot get it to redeem anywhere. Could you post orm me details on what I may be doing wrong here? Thanks!

People who couldn't get it to work directly with Steam bypassed it by adding it to their Paypal wallets first, then using that to by Steam credit. I personally have just been spending it on Amazon gift cards.

Tellaerin

I'm actually inclined to agree with you. It's just that don't see the point of having the "megagiver" restriction at all, in that case. Seems like all it's doing is encouraging people to give away the most bottom of the barrel stuff they can get their hands on in bulk as an "entry fee", so to speak. If people are going to give, I'd rather they pick stuff that they personally like, within their means. If I've only got $4 to drop on a gift, I'd rather get somebody one game I actually think is good, and happens to be a good deal at the time, then spend that on 4 cheap bundles filled with stuff that people are just going to consider +1's to their library and never play. But buying those bundles would "count" for more under the current system. *shrug*

_hekk05

Banned
Everybody's following the reddit collusion timetable, until the last day of course. Blue is gonna get murdered by everyone who've been saving up tokens for the last day

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

If I'm not mistaken, it will have the same price as now that it's on sale.So it would be smart to pick it up before the deal ends as you'll get all the extras

Bought my first game of the sale-- Mount & Blade. For a game that has many active players, strange to see it hardly gets any mention at here. The community thread is pretty dead too. Am I going to regret buying this?

Next game will be BattleBlock Theater and call it a day.

jediyoshi

I won one of these and cannot get it to redeem anywhere. Could you post orm me details on what I may be doing wrong here? Thanks!

The only key is making sure you get the billing address they listed correct, otherwise name and number can be your own.

Also, if you've attempted to use a specific one too much incorrectly it could just be dead even if you've fixed the errors.

Mono

Mine wouldn't work simply because I copied and pasted the number; you have to enter it manually because the spaces seem to delete the last few numbers of the code and mess things up, even if you erase them.

Everything worked fine for me once I typed it in myself!

People who couldn't get it to work directly with Steam bypassed it by adding it to their Paypal wallets first, then using that to by Steam credit. I personally have just been spending it on Amazon gift cards.

Tried twice to do this. Both times amazon canceled the GC order because the payment didn't go through. 8/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom