• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
LinkedIn says that I should know and connect with Gabe Newell.

original

It's a sign jshackles!

Wunder

So how's Amalur

It's decent. Graphically it looks pretty dated, and the combat doesn't feel great, but it's a pretty big world and theres some customization to be had. A bit disappointing after I waited so long to finally grab it during that one Origin sale, but oh well.

I thought of a Steam upgrade I want.

When you go to a game page and you click "see all DLC". There should be an indicator there let tells you if you own the DLC or not.

AngerdX

I can´t decide if i should pull the trigger on PA for 15.63€

Already bought Running with Rifles (fun game hehe) Papa Yo and Bully.

My wallet hates me this year...

Arthea

I thought of a Steam upgrade I want.

When you go to a game page and you click "see all DLC". There should be an indicator there let tells you if you own the DLC or not.

Enchanted steam to the rescue
it's Enhanced steam, I just like calling it Enchanted

Lomax

I have said it sometimes in this thread and NervousXtian said it on this very page.

I can get behind somebody making a winner with organisation. But - there are things that are weird. Two things especially bother me.

The last places
You can make a winner, but can you really bring all other four teams to the same score? Why would you even want to do that. Chance? Two days in a row almost the whole day with four teams being at rougly the same score? Absurd, I say.

The giant score of first place
If you see you're winning, why wouly you make such a gap? A buffer, sure, but Green had more than double yesterday and Pink has almost THREETIMES the scrore of the next place and with that is almost as strong as three teams. And its not because the others slacking off, Pink has way already more points than Green yesterday.
You only need 1 pt. You don't get mroe chances with more pts you bring in. Why would they craft so much?

*sigh* I should know better than to try to argue against a conspiracy theory. The point is, the trend doesn't change. Watch the chart for the entire day, but especially for the first hour. Yes, the bottom four all give up. Yes, their increase stays roughly equal after that point. The first two days, you still had colors that were losing trying to win, thus you'd get some variance among the losers. Those people learned it was a waste. Everyone who is on pink is likely to make a badge for the chance to win. The whales switch over to the winning team. That doesn't change for the entire day, so the lead gets bigger and bigger. The way the chart is behaving is exactly what you would expect. Bandwagon effect is extremely powerful.

So yes, a few dozen people contributing 50k points in the first half hour can set the winner for the entire day. If Valve was manipulating it, they would be smarter about hiding it. And Valve has no vested interest in manipulating it. And even if you insist on believing that Valve is manipulating it, they only have to do so for the very first hour of each day at the most. Occam's razor. The more complex your conspiracy theory, the less likely it is.

Chariot

Already bought a copy for myself and 4 others for friends who may or may not have wanted it.
Then how about A Story About My Uncle?
edit:

*sigh* I should know better than to try to argue against a conspiracy theory. The point is, the trend doesn't change. Watch the chart for the entire day, but especially for the first hour. Yes, the bottom four all give up. Yes, their increase stays roughly equal after that point. The first two days, you still had colors that were losing trying to win, thus you'd get some variance among the losers. Those people learned it was a waste. Everyone who is on pink is likely to make a badge for the chance to win. The whales switch over to the winning team. That doesn't change for the entire day, so the lead gets bigger and bigger. The way the chart is behaving is exactly what you would expect. Bandwagon effect is extremely powerful.

So yes, a few dozen people contributing 50k points in the first half hour can set the winner for the entire day. If Valve was manipulating it, they would be smarter about hiding it. And Valve has no vested interest in manipulating it. And even if you insist on believing that Valve is manipulating it, they only have to do so for the very first hour of each day at the most. Occam's razor. The more complex your conspiracy theory, the less likely it is.
I don't claim that my assumptions are true. I'm just bothered by this. And you can't really explain my points with reddit. Their goal is get one team to win, not to have it more points than any other team.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nothing much, but it's something. :)

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17410
Dead Bits -- MB-101775BB17E80D25 - Taken by Soule. 5 entrants total.
Kill Fun Yeah -- MB-DD007878A68668B0 - Taken by Kuroyume. 2 entrants total.
EDGE -- MB-30A94369E540BB94 - Taken by kiri. 2 entrants total.
8 Bit Commando -- MB-89788C0408B12B54 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 4 entrants total.

t1403533614z1.png

Valve needs to integrate that into the client. Just hire the guy already.

I know, right? ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

A couple of months ago, Squeenix finally pushed out a mammoth patch that was in the works for almost a year, which added Mac support, but I'm not sure if it also fixed the issues the game had a result of being based on a much older build of DE:HR.

Valve needs to integrate that into the client. Just hire the guy already.

I know, right? ;)

I have no idea what's holding Valve back from enhancing their store with UI improvements. Your work with Enhanced Steam was great, but it fills a void that Valve should have been looking to plug for a while now. There's so much obvious stuff that even a fresh-out-of-college HCI student could point at and say, "this is flawed"

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Edge -- MB-179A267C859BD2CB - Taken by C.Dark.DN. 2 entrants total.
8-Bit Commando -- MB-1F61C1CE38C596A3 - Taken by Aitor. 3 entrants total.
Dead Bits -- MB-70B291B060D17593 - Taken by tmarques. 4 entrants total.

t1403533914z1.png

wetflame

Pizza Dog
jshackles if you eventually get hired by Valve you should immediately report back to us on the status of all games in development at the company. Then you can fix Steam.

Just a friendly reminder, ~30mins left.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Hacker Evolution Untold -- MB-D02FBA18C3E2BF46 - Taken by Pakkidis. 2 entrants total.
SUBJECT 9 -- MB-7BABF55B8B424F66 - Taken by Couchaddict. 6 entrants total.
Skyward Collapse -- MB-450969A866668B0F - Taken by nacimento. 4 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-0F3EA83CFD9BFAF8 - Taken by astrogamer. 1 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution -- MB-66B2CEF377EE115C - Taken by Defect. 2 entrants total.
Shattered Haven -- MB-0B3AA84377139E6A - Taken by celsowmbr. 3 entrants total.

t1403535264z1.png

So by not being able to use the marketplace to make money at least I can still try and make trad...
There was an error sending your trade offer. Please try again later.

You have logged in from a new device. In order to protect the items in your inventory, you will be unable to trade from this device for 7 days.
Why am I on a new device? I tried to clear cookies to sort out the Danish glitch..

I guess the only winning move really is not to play :(

Jimrpg

Got skyrim.

Wanted to play oblivion first, but for $5 couldn't really say no. I don't like adding things to the backlog, but don't think it's going to get any lower than that for a while.

MikeDown

Banned
Any thoughts on Sanctum 2?
Great game! The environments are beautiful, story is not the greatest but it is still good enough to hold your interest. The gameplay is more action based then Sanctum 1, which is something I like more, as you actually play an active part in defending the core. Also music by Lenard Hummer is brilliant and great to listen too. And yes, that is a plug to my own yt channel. ;P

I'll play it with you if you get it:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/CaptCornhole/

:D

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
All Desura games

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Data Hacker Initiation -- MB-2956E5AFF6395765 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
International Snooker (Desura) -- MB-2FA7166CE22F4436 - Taken by Jason Frost
ulgzbKC.png
Luna's Wandering Stars (Desura) -- MB-93F199DFE97DDE72 - Taken by WinterDemons
Yrminsul (Desurs) -- MB-F33AA01381F3E221
ulgzbKC.png
ONE DAY for Ched (Desura) -- MB-9771D35190B5F904 - Taken by Jason Frost
ulgzbKC.png
Magic Meisters (Desura) -- MB-B8F30C4CD9D29ADB - Taken by WinterDemons
ulgzbKC.png
Plith (Desura) -- MB-21423733C7E0AAF7 - Taken by WinterDemons

Staying home from work because I don't want to deal with the wicked headache I woke up with this morning. So relaxing at home, and giving away an extra 8-bit commando.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

8bit Commando -- MB-D5C67E4861F93B91 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 12 entrants total.

t1403544014z1.png

Yrael

I thought I'd give this give-away business a shot...it's not much, just a few keys I had left over from bundles, but someone might want them!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

HOARD -- MB-10BAA2583B5E24B1 - Taken by zeroOman
Strike Suit Zero -- MB-79FCF45C40450E39 - Taken by Deadly
Joe Danger 2: The Movie -- MB-5AA73A718801A360 - Taken by angular graphics

Lomax

Then how about A Story About My Uncle?
edit:

I don't claim that my assumptions are true. I'm just bothered by this. And you can't really explain my points with reddit. Their goal is get one team to win, not to have it more points than any other team.

I'm explaining your other points with human nature and the power of trends and inertia. All Reddit potentially accounts for is which team gets the strong start. Beyond that, Reddit is irrelevant. In fact, if some other large site (say 4chan or NeoGaf) were to put a concerted effort into defeating the Reddit color in the very beginning, it would be relatively trivial to do so.

Hugstable

Banned
It seems like your taking my term "epitome" out of context. Which was my fault I guess. But it was used to underscore the immense popularity of this system where TF2 has no equal on Steam at least, not the harshness or the intrusiveness of it. That was all I meant by "epitome".

In fact, one could go far deeper and suggest that a great number of DLC's available now are a form of pay2win, in some sense and to varying degrees. Sometimes it's not that big of a deal, sometimes it's huge, but the "leg up" by paying extra for extra content beyond the base game itself implies a pay2win model whether that be for SP or MP. Individual taste or competitive practices.

It's all the same principle. A sad principle really seeing where we came from and now arrived at with the nickel and diming scheme, which is all it really amounts to.

Read post above. Then let's let the matter rest. It's kind of getting off topic now. Sorry guys.

I agree with you on the nickel and diming having become very prevalent since we first started to get DLC. Just that when it came to some of the content just being cosmetic and completely optional, I tended not to be too mad about that as it didn't hurt my enjoyment of the game in any way. I'm down to put it to rest too, didn't really mean to come off as argumentative or go off topic, I just played alot of TF2 throughout the days and just had to respond to the pay2win thing :-/.

Back on topic: I got an 2 hours to decide if I really ever want to play Dragon Age Origina again. While I enjoy the game greatly, I'm not sure I have the time considering my backlog.

Also Team Blue... our day has finally come!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom