• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to whoever voted for this community choice!

Got me Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition and Dues Ex.

I'm tempted by the Dead Island pack as well. Is that game any good? Heard bad things.

Just waiting for Fallout 3 now, and then I'll have the Skyrim, New Vegas and Fallout 3 triumvirate I came into the sale for (and spent a shit tonne while waiting for them to show)

EDIT: If I bought Mass Effect 1 and 2 from this flash sale, then bought ME3 on Origin, would my choices still carry over, even if between platforms?

....I really liked Nether. Never had any performance or bug-related issues with it. And the gameplay is pretty fun, regardless of pay2win, TF2 is the epitome of pay2win and that ain't stopping anybody.

Nether costs money and is p2w. TF2 is free and is not p2w. All those weapons are balanced as fuck and are just alternatives to handle some situations better and some not.

hohoXD123

New Humble Bundle for Summer games done quick

For 25 dollars you get

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
Gunpoint
Noitu Love 2 Devolution
Bleed
Electronic Super Joy
Guacamelee! Gold Edition
Psychonauts
Dustforce
The Basement Collection
Giana Sisters: Rise of the Owlverlord

Supporting: Doctors without borders
Hmm, only really interested in Amnesia and Gunpoint, which seems a bit much for the price. Then again, it's MSF...

ArynCrinn

Banned
Those weapons are just different llaystyles, and they aren't exzctly broken enough to make up for no teamwork or skill. Most that seem overpowered usually have a downside as well.

Yes, I know. But that doesn't dismiss the fact that players that DO PAY, and in very large amounts for gear/weapons have a better chance of winning than a total non-Premium naked class character. The pay-to-Premium thing alone closes the case on this issue. It's F2P, so it's obviously going to cater more towards people who are willing to pay meta bucks into the system. Nothing wrong with it. Just the way it is.

Pakkidis

Thank you to whoever voted for this community choice!

Got me Fallout 3: Ultimate Edition and Dues Ex.

I'm tempted by the Dead Island pack as well. Is that game any good? Heard bad things.

Just waiting for Fallout 3 now, and then I'll have the Skyrim, New Vegas and Fallout 3 triumvirate I came into the sale for (and spent a shit tonne while waiting for them to show)

I personally liked Dead island. You have to like first person action rpgs though.

Hugstable

Banned
Yes, I know. But that doesn't dismiss the fact that players that DO PAY, and in very large amounts for gear/weapons have a better chance of winning than a total non-Premium naked class character. The pay-to-Premium thing alone closes the case on this issue. It's F2P, so it's obviously going to cater more towards people who are willing to pay meta bucks into the system. Nothing wrong with it. Just the way it is.

That isn't pay 2 win then. They aren't winning, they just look cooler.

AHA-Lambda

So you guys recommend Transistor? Seems like that game is getting a lot of hype.

"From the creators of Bastion" which I've also never played. Guess I should look into that as well?

It's worth a playthrough but I'd honestly take bastion over it.

Swings and roundabouts but I think transistor has better and deeper combat however the story really suffers compared to bastion, which I really liked :/

Fact is, for the most uber crafted weapons and items, you gotta pay in some form or another, or trade, which is another form of bartering. So yeah, in a very real sense TF2 is pay2win, unless you want to spend 4-6000 hours grinding in tedious 3-8 sec respawns to get enough shit to actually get your kill/death ratio good. Plus, you gotta pay just to get Premium, if you didn't already own it before it went F2P.
What are uber crafted weapons and items? Everything mechanically different falls under being the most common kinds of item drops in the game, and before long you just end up scrapping them because they're so abundant.

Getting permanent premium status simply requires any purchase in the in-game store, so the cheapest item (which at last check was 50 cents edit: just checked, 10 cents) and you're good to go.

Teggy

I don't think anyone wanted a Dead Island MOBA in the first place

It's not really a MOBA. It has PvE as well as PvP and It's pretty fun, actually. The only similarity it has to MOBAs is that you rank up during matches. You maintain your character progress otherwise and the PvP is not like a MOBA. They are kind of doing themselves a disservice with the whole ZOMBA tag.

Lomax

I may have misjudged reddit.

Just seem to be a loud minority who thinks they're heroes of justice with an strangely active User named ohla_david at the front, who spreads his plan everywhere, ignoring critique. I didn't look much in, but this is getting interesting.

If you watched it the first couple of hours, what he says is exactly what happens. Initially effort is put into getting one color a lead. This lead doesn't have to be all that big in terms of number of points because of the way the graph looks. Most people in this thread had written off the day within an hour in favor of pink when the lead was barely 20k points. Human nature is for the winning team to jump on board and the losing teams to back off. So yes, a couple dozen people can effectively "rig" the game in favor of one color or another. Now, it will be interesting to see if one of the whales in a color that is "supposed to lose" decides to stockpile 1k chips and fight back early, then we may get a circumstance like day two where two teams run neck and neck for the entire time. But with the color change tokens, it's more economically logical to just jump ship to the winning team than it is to pour money into trying to compete.

But everyone pointing to what has happened as any sort of evidence that Valve is rigging this just doesn't understand how easily people are manipulated and how powerful trends are. In fact, I'd wager Valve is irritated it isn't as much of a competition as it was supposed to be, not because they care about the money (card sales are still increasing day by day but the volume produced is slowly overwhelming demand), but because if it was a great competition each day that would generate a lot more publicity across the web than the current state is.

Okay fine.
Crafted a badge...wtf?
Crafting a badge awards 1 point..?
One whole point?

This is nuts.

Yeah, with thousands and thousands of players on each team would it make much sense otherwise? Besides, 1 point, ten points, 100 points, does it matter what crafting a badge gets if every other player gets the same amount for the same thing? Did you want some extra zeros with that or something?

question: What is going on with amazon digital downloads. They usually have summer sales the same time as steam.

I get the feeling that ever since Amazon Tony left they've been a bit off. I may just be attributing too much to Tony but it felt like he could get some shit done over there.

Seanspeed

Banned
Time is running out on the Skyrim sale. I'm still deciding if I should get vanilla or LE. Is LE three times as fun as vanilla?
Not really a good way of looking at it. The DLC isn't 3x as good as the main game, but its inclusion really makes for an amazing full package. For $10, its a bargain.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Okay so for the M&M cards...

I have 30 dollars in winnings from it and I'm afraid to spend it on Steam because of the aforementioned locking of the Marketplace.

However, I have Paypal as a payment option.

So technically I could add the cards to my Paypal account and then just pay through that right?

I'm so scared to use this money because I want to buy virtual cards. :(
You can add them to paypal. Request money through another paypal for one.

But, but, what's this locking you're talking about? I've had $12 directly added to my steam wallet sitting for two days.

derExperte

Doesn't mean it's the epitome of p2w. Far from it, there are truly despicable schemes out there that make TF2 look like the most harmless f2p game ever.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Not even reddit believes, that they can influence millions of players that much. I don't know wether Valve just saw that and thought they just go with that or if the heads of this event are in bed with Valve or are unconsciously influenced and really think they have everything in their hands. But anyway, I think Valve is rigging and try to hide this with this reddit thing.

It's not even the runaway winner that get's me.. its the parity otherwise.

Arthea

If you watched it the first couple of hours, what he says is exactly what happens. Initially effort is put into getting one color a lead. This lead doesn't have to be all that big in terms of number of points because of the way the graph looks. Most people in this thread had written off the day within an hour in favor of pink when the lead was barely 20k points. Human nature is for the winning team to jump on board and the losing teams to back off. So yes, a couple dozen people can effectively "rig" the game in favor of one color or another. Now, it will be interesting to see if one of the whales in a color that is "supposed to lose" decides to stockpile 1k chips and fight back early, then we may get a circumstance like day two where two teams run neck and neck for the entire time. But with the color change tokens, it's more economically logical to just jump ship to the winning team than it is to pour money into trying to compete.

But everyone pointing to what has happened as any sort of evidence that Valve is rigging this just doesn't understand how easily people are manipulated and how powerful trends are. In fact, I'd wager Valve is irritated it isn't as much of a competition as it was supposed to be, not because they care about the money (card sales are still increasing day by day but the volume produced is slowly overwhelming demand), but because if it was a great competition each day that would generate a lot more publicity across the web than the current state is.
That doesn't make any sense, probably even not 1/10th of any team follow neogaf or reddit, for that matter. We are talking about thousands of people here, if not millions.

ArynCrinn

Banned
That isn't pay 2 win then. They aren't winning, they just look cooler.

So you deny any evidence that paying money into TF2 in some ways can grant a greater chance of success? If not, that = Pay 2 Win, regardless of how low that bar may be.

Has anyone actually played Nether here, and played through it, without paying anything? It's possible. Just like playing TF2 without paying anything is possible. I'm just not giving any bias either way.

Enco

I get the feeling that ever since Amazon Tony left they've been a bit off. I may just be attributing too much to Tony but it felt like he could get some shit done over there.
I really miss Tony. He was great.

I feel his banning was a huge overreaction. He added to the community and made it a better place. It was a mistake getting rid of him permanently.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Shoot. So, I took advantage of some sweet (
LOL, BECAUSE CANDY
) M&M money and used it to add $5.00 to my Steam wallet, but I didn't verify the card before adding the money, so now I am officially locked out of the Market. The card won't take the registration attempt. Soooo... I guess I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to the Market for the remainder of the sale? I already deleted the payment method, but it still wants to verify it.

Probably a good thing... I'm way too addicted...
Oh. I think you should have deselected "add card for future payments" to bypass steam wanting you to verify?

danielg1138

Neo Member
But, but, what's this locking you're talking about? I've had $12 directly added to my steam wallet sitting for two days.

The money gets added (the transaction goes through and it seems to be in there... although I haven't tried buying a game with it yet), but for some reason when you add a new payment method, Steam forces you to verify it before you can buy or sell on the Market. Normally you could just go and verify it and be good, but since the card was already used to buy the Wallet credit, it seems to just shut down and not take any more charges, so the verification fails. It's a pain :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom