• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

That doesn't make any sense, probably even not 1/10th of any team follow neogaf or reddit, for that matter. We are talking about thousands of people here, if not millions.

Yes, and the millions see the huge lead and either jump on or back off. That's the point. Not that they are following Reddit or NeoGaf, but that the obvious trend causes that behavior, and it only takes about a half hour of early manipulation to make it happen.

danielg1138

Neo Member
Oh. I think you should have deselected "add card for future payments" to bypass steam wanting you to verify?

Ah, wise words. Well, too late now, I suppose... no making back even a little bit of the money I stupidly dropped on team token investments in the first day >.>

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The money gets added (the transaction goes through and it seems to be in there... although I haven't tried buying a game with it yet), but for some reason when you add a new payment method, Steam forces you to verify it before you can buy or sell on the Market. Normally you could just go and verify it and be good, but since the card was already used to buy the Wallet credit, it seems to just shut down and not take any more charges, so the verification fails. It's a pain :(
Can you just remove the card and add another to verify?

How long did it take you? Apparently it takes a few months or something? I guess i still have a long way to go.
Once you reached 300 posts, with an account that's older 3 months I think.
Congratulations, amigo.
I think Mozendo is right. Time flies past so fast. Already over 300 posts. Hope I was not a jackass to anyone.

Upgrade to GAF Gold for full happiness.
Congratz to member status
Thanks for all your congrats!
Plan on a little better giveaway after the current one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just to clarify, can I still enter this one if I've won a Steam key from another ModBot competition recently?

/newbie

You can win one game every fifteen minutes. If you've won large numbers of games recently, the throttle timer gets longer and longer. Besides that, any rules will be stated in the post--the giver could exclude people who have won in the last day, month, or year. Givers can also exclude individual members that they feel have been abusive, this will also be noted in the rules. Cheers.

So you deny any evidence that paying money into TF2 in some ways can grant a greater chance of success? If not, that = Pay 2 Win, regardless of how low that bar may be.
Being pay2win, especially being the epitome of such a system, implies that the system is devised so as you either have to pay to get results or that paying will be monumentally easier than going through the free method.

This is not true for TF2 in any sense.

Arthea

Yes, and the millions see the huge lead and either jump on or back off. That's the point. Not that they are following Reddit or NeoGaf, but that the obvious trend causes that behavior, and it only takes about a half hour of early manipulation to make it happen.

That's not how it works, millions never jump to any conclusions that fast as it is happening lately. It's not possible, they are all individuals, and I'm sure some of them craft badges for their levels and don't give a damn about metagame, some do nothing, metagame or not, some take advantage of cards prices being unstable and dropping in price some every day, etc.
There can't be such difference in points, too many people are part for that.

Chariot

If you watched it the first couple of hours, what he says is exactly what happens. Initially effort is put into getting one color a lead. This lead doesn't have to be all that big in terms of number of points because of the way the graph looks. Most people in this thread had written off the day within an hour in favor of pink when the lead was barely 20k points. Human nature is for the winning team to jump on board and the losing teams to back off. So yes, a couple dozen people can effectively "rig" the game in favor of one color or another. Now, it will be interesting to see if one of the whales in a color that is "supposed to lose" decides to stockpile 1k chips and fight back early, then we may get a circumstance like day two where two teams run neck and neck for the entire time. But with the color change tokens, it's more economically logical to just jump ship to the winning team than it is to pour money into trying to compete.

But everyone pointing to what has happened as any sort of evidence that Valve is rigging this just doesn't understand how easily people are manipulated and how powerful trends are. In fact, I'd wager Valve is irritated it isn't as much of a competition as it was supposed to be, not because they care about the money (card sales are still increasing day by day but the volume produced is slowly overwhelming demand), but because if it was a great competition each day that would generate a lot more publicity across the web than the current state is.
I have said it sometimes in this thread and NervousXtian said it on this very page.
It's not even the runaway winner that get's me.. its the parity otherwise.
I can get behind somebody making a winner with organisation. But - there are things that are weird. Two things especially bother me.

The last places
You can make a winner, but can you really bring all other four teams to the same score? Why would you even want to do that. Chance? Two days in a row almost the whole day with four teams being at rougly the same score? Absurd, I say.

The giant score of first place
If you see you're winning, why wouly you make such a gap? A buffer, sure, but Green had more than double yesterday and Pink has almost THREETIMES the scrore of the next place and with that is almost as strong as three teams. And its not because the others slacking off, Pink has way already more points than Green yesterday.
You only need 1 pt. You don't get mroe chances with more pts you bring in. Why would they craft so much?

Hugstable

Banned
So you deny any evidence that paying money into TF2 in some ways can grant a greater chance of success? If not, that = Pay 2 Win, regardless of how low that bar may be.

Has anyone actually played Nether here, and played through it, without paying anything? It's possible. Just like playing TF2 without paying anything is possible. I'm just not giving any bias either way.

Greater chance of success of what? Greater chance of looking cool? I define Pay 2 Win as someone paying for a clear advantage in a competitive game like letting them kill people easier. Making them look different has nothing to do with this. It's optional and doesn't affect your enjoyment of the game. Then DOTA must be pay 2 win also, and I can guarantee any item you get in DOTA is not gonna save your ass on a battlefield.

Haha. Is Trading frowned upon here at all? I've seen people discussing it and thought I'd give it a shot.

My friend's gf wanted Civ V so I thought it'd be a perfect excuse to test the waters as it's going for 1 key.

it's hit & miss. It easy pretty easy to get burned, so you just have to be careful. Some people obviously do it more than others. There are quite a few people here that can give you some more information about it. I've only done it a few times as well.

Yeah, with thousands and thousands of players on each team would it make much sense otherwise? Besides, 1 point, ten points, 100 points, does it matter what crafting a badge gets if every other player gets the same amount for the same thing? Did you want some extra zeros with that or something?

Ermm..eh?
I'm just shocked so many points have been amassed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
LinkedIn says that I should know and connect with Gabe Newell.

original

Deus Ex Director's Cut.

What exactly is it?

I own the regular game and Missing link. Haven't played DE yet. What am I missing from the director's cut.

Just go through badges that I can craft. Why is crafting a foil badge has the same XP as a normal badge since the former cost a lot more to craft?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Being pay2win, especially being the epitome of such a system, implies that the system is devised so as you either have to pay to get results or that paying will be monumentally easier than going through the free method.

This is not true for TF2 in any sense.

It seems like your taking my term "epitome" out of context. Which was my fault I guess. But it was used to underscore the immense popularity of this system where TF2 has no equal on Steam at least, not the harshness or the intrusiveness of it. That was all I meant by "epitome".

In fact, one could go far deeper and suggest that a great number of DLC's available now are a form of pay2win, in some sense and to varying degrees. Sometimes it's not that big of a deal, sometimes it's huge, but the "leg up" by paying extra for extra content beyond the base game itself implies a pay2win model whether that be for SP or MP. Individual taste or competitive practices.

It's all the same principle. A sad principle really seeing where we came from and now arrived at with the nickel and diming scheme, which is all it really amounts to.

Greater chance of success of what? Greater chance of looking cool? I define Pay 2 Win as someone paying for a clear advantage in a competitive game like letting them kill people easier. Making them look different has nothing to do with this. It's optional and doesn't affect your enjoyment of the game. Then DOTA must be pay 2 win also, and I can guarantee any item you get in DOTA is not gonna save your ass on a battlefield.

Read post above. Then let's let the matter rest. It's kind of getting off topic now. Sorry guys.

Scipius

Fact is, for the most uber crafted weapons and items, you gotta pay in some form or another, or trade, which is another form of bartering. So yeah, in a very real sense TF2 is pay2win, unless you want to spend 4-6000 hours grinding in tedious 3-8 sec respawns to get enough shit to actually get your kill/death ratio good. Plus, you gotta pay just to get Premium, if you didn't already own it before it went F2P.

Nonsense. Trading is not paying; you can exchange weapons for free and there are plenty of ways to do it. Even if it were, all droppable weapons have specific downsides in combination with their upsides, rendering them "sidegrades" as already mentioned.

If you can't win a match or get a good K/D ratio with the stock weapons, the problem is your skill level, not the weapons you use.

Halo 2

Banned
Deus Ex Director's Cut.

What exactly is it?

I own the regular game and Missing link. Haven't played DE yet. What am I missing from the director's cut.

I think they fixed a few mechanics regarding boss battles.
I'm about to get another $6 mars card to buy it.

Enco

Deus Ex Director's Cut.

What exactly is it?

Updated boss fights.
Different energy regen I think. You get 2 now?
Some updated textures I think.

Nothing major to be honest. I wanted it but decided it's not worth it. It's good if you want to replay it I guess.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
LinkedIn says that I should know and connect with Gabe Newell.

original

He once posted on a forum, non-game related, that I post on.. hes still a member.. just doesn't post anymore.

I tried to get HL2:Ep3 info from him back then and he wouldn't budge. That was years ago too.

Ah.

It says, "if you own deus ex or the missing link" you will receive a discount when purchasing. But I guess the Steam sale overrides that and you don't get any more discount on top :p

Friend bought me BattleBlock Theater last night so I would play with her. Game is really fun. Hadn't even heard of it before. What other gems are you hiding, Steam?

hitgirl

What's different on the Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors cut? I just have regular Human Revolution and missing link, wondering if it's worth a purchase.

Yrael

You can win one game every fifteen minutes. If you've won large numbers of games recently, the throttle timer gets longer and longer. Besides that, any rules will be stated in the post--the giver could exclude people who have won in the last day, month, or year. Givers can also exclude individual members that they feel have been abusive, this will also be noted in the rules. Cheers.

Aha, I see. Thanks for the further clarification! :)

KarmaCow

Deus Ex Director's Cut.

What exactly is it?

Boss battles are tweaked so that you don't need to directly kill bosses. You can use your hacking skills to open up rooms or activate turrets to do it for you.

Commentary nodes with several people having conversations about different aspects of the game from the process of getting that FFXXVII poster in the game to how the director had to fight to allow the player to backtrack completely through the first level of the game to what the fuck they were thinking with Letitia, the racist caricature outside Serif.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom