• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
People saying the last few Steam sales that have been "abysmal" probably just have everything already, right? I think they've been great for someone building up a Steam library, such as myself.

You can buy me some stuff to wipe that dust off. :p
Heh, I can actually gift ya the original Far Cry, or Freedom Force. Just noticed I still have those to give away.

People saying the last few Steam sales that have been "abysmal" probably just have everything already, right? I think they've been great for someone building up a Steam library, such as myself.
It is kinda lame. as newer games were discounted up to 50% I think. I usually wait for this sale to pick up games that are released in the fall I didn't get day one, but so far I'm still waiting...

Saige

I must do better.
Slow start to the sale this year, only picked up the Dawn of War Franchise Pack and the Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle.

But if I can get a good deal on Dark Souls all will be forgiven.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I don't have the majority of these games, and I still think it hasn't been as great. The Autumn sale, I brought a lot more stuff. But I also know there is plenty of time left.

Either way, everyone has been spoiled.

Tomodachi

What should I vote for? I'm leaning towards Hotline Miami since I want that but Ace of Spades looks kind of neat.
I voted for Hotline Miami because I wanted to get it but now I see gamefly has it for exactly the same price it would have at 50% off (here in Yurop at least), so it's kind of a wasted vote...

Got Sleeping Dogs for $10.40 since I did some trade ins. Then got DmC4 for $4.76 so its free with credit to spare from the GMG credit. Sorry Steam, GMG had you beat. So 2 games for essentially $10 lol. Fantastic deal!

kswiston

No, the sale is pretty bad compared to some of the sales in recent years, even if you don't have most of the games. The indie discounts especially have been lower than they have in the past for anything that has some buzz behind it. Also, Steam was pretty much THE place to get really cheap PC games in 2008-2010 (perhaps before that, but I wasn't part of those earlier sales). Now GMG and Amazon routinely beat them in sales, as do Gamefly/Gamersgate/GOG/etc on occasion. For indie releases, we also have like 5 indie bundles coming out a month. Since a lot of newer PC games activate on Steam anyhow, there is no real reason to wait for Steam sales to build your steam library.

I didn't know SimCity 4 was supposed to not work well with multicores, and that I have to disable other cores for it.

Game damn crashed. I was just starting to enjoy it. :(

snack

uXBMw.png

Row

Banned
They feel entitled to the kind of discounts that Steam sales brought in the past, specifically.

it was inevitable with steam increasingly becoming the dominate player in dd pc game services, there really isn't much incentive anymore for them to have ridiculous deals compared to gmg, amazon, etc. who do have that incentive since they want to increase their current small share of the market

Nabs

I didn't know SimCity 4 was supposed to not work well with multicores, and that I have to disable other cores for it.

Game damn crashed. I was just starting to enjoy it. :(

Make sure you check the old Steam user forums for some modding tips. I think SomethingAwful also has a great guide somewhere on their forums.

No, the sale is pretty bad compared to some of the sales in recent years, even if you don't have most of the games. The indie discounts especially have been lower than they have in the past for anything that has some buzz behind it. Also, Steam was pretty much THE place to get really cheap PC games in 2008-2010 (perhaps before that, but I wasn't part of those earlier sales). Now GMG and Amazon routinely beat them in sales, as do Gamefly/Gamersgate/GOG/etc on occasion. For indie releases, we also have like 5 indie bundles coming out a month. Since a lot of newer PC games activate on Steam anyhow, there is no real reason to wait for Steam sales to build your steam library.

You say this like it's a bad thing. More competition = better prices for consumers. And if everything activates on Steam anyways who cares what this sale is like if the deals are out there.

xJavonta

Banned
it was inevitable with steam increasingly becoming the dominate player in dd pc game services, there really isn't much incentive anymore for them to have ridiculous deals compared to gmg, amazon, etc. who do have that incentive since they want to increase their current small share of the market

Yup.

Branson

I got a surprise $20 gift card for steam from some friends for Christmas already. Should I get FC3 with that kind of a discount? I'll wait until the sale is on the last day just to see if they do ANY sort of sale on it here.

Sanic

Yep.

I don't really see a problem with it either. Those who are looking for those great deals can still get them. You're just losing out on convenience, I guess.

Valve have presumably reached a point where their userbase is continuing to grow at a rate such that they can raise the ASP of their catalog as a whole while still increasing revenue.

Nabs

I got a surprise $20 gift card for steam from some friends for Christmas already. Should I get FC3 with that kind of a discount? I'll wait until the sale is on the last day just to see if they do ANY sort of sale on it here.

You should wait. It was $37.50 on Ubi's own store, so there's a chance it'll get a daily.

Jawmuncher

I don't even see a discount on FC3 unless its msrp is 60. I'd wait I'm sure it'll get something same with Creed 3.

Derrick01

Banned

It's a factor but the deals themselves have been really lame and usually copycats. Amazon and GMG with their coupons usually beat them pretty soundly now. Like even GMG had the ability to get Hitman Absolution for $20 which is $5 less than what Steam had it for.

Then add in the fact that they're not doing the really fun and addictive meta games anymore and it's just a big pile of disappointment. All 3 big sales this year have been like this.

kswiston

You say this like it's a bad thing. More competition = better prices for consumers. And if everything activates on Steam anyways who cares what this sale is like if the deals are out there.

I don't care. A lot of the people complaining are the people who refuse to shop elsewhere or prefer to give their money to Valve. If it is Steamworks, I just pay whoever offers me the lowest price.

However, that doesn't stop this sale from being disappointing compared to previous years. Other than having worse discounts on newer (high profile) indie titles, the deals are about the same as always. But like I said, everyone else upped their game, making Steam sales themselves less special than they were in the past.

Still a good time to get obscure titles at a good price. Things like Dungeons of Dredmor are not high profile enough for Amazon to bother with.

dosh

I hate myself for considering buying Quantum Conundrum. The demo was really bad and I probably won't ever play it but at $3...
It's not great (the narrative is really weak) but the gameplay is pretty fun, albeit repetitive. At $3, it's not a deal you should regret.

coopolon

It seems like they're finding plenty of games to buy on GMG, Amazon, GamersGate, Gamefly, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom