• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who have used Steam for years = These sales are horrible compared to past sales.

People who have used Steam for 6 months to a year = Shut up guys, these deals are GREAT! You just own everything!

I'm in the camp of people who have used Steam for years and agree that this sale is horrible. Bad choices for dailies, mediocre prices, no meta-achievements, and only 6 dailies make this the most disappointing "big" Steam sale to date. Thankfully places like Amazon, GMG, and GG are picking up the slack.

kswiston

Wait what?

The game is $11.90 after you input the universal 30% off coupon they are advertising on their site. After that, you can choose either a further $4 off (taking the game down to $7.90) or $6 in store credit that you can use to get something else with. The games he listed are currently under that price (again with the 30% off coupon).

Trade-ins? How does that work?

Non-Steam, Non-Origin games can be "traded in" for a fraction of what you paid for them. When you trade in a game, they remove it from your account and give you a credit. However, GMG has been giving away miscellaneous games for free over the past year, and those games often have a $0.50 trade-in value. If you collect them, you can get another couple bucks off a title you want.

You say this like it's a bad thing. More competition = better prices for consumers. And if everything activates on Steam anyways who cares what this sale is like if the deals are out there.

I suppose people are upset about Valve seemingly giving up on competing in terms of price. Pretty much the only deal that's competitive with Amazon/GMG is the current Dawn of War deal.

Still, early days I guess. It's day three and I've already spent nearly half the money I allocated for this sale.

Scrabble

Anyone else get their card blocked whenever they try to make a purchase from greenmangaming? I've been on the phone with suntrust and there's nothing they can do about it either.

xJavonta

Banned
Why is the Steam client browser so fucking slow? Going to the site from Chrome is a million times faster.

Anyone else get their card blocked whenever they try to make a purchase from greenmangaming? I've been on the phone with suntrust and there's nothing they can do about it either.

I heard about that happening so I use Paypal instead. Haven't had a problem yet.

Biggzy

People who have used Steam for years = These sales are horrible compared to past sales.

People who have used Steam for 6 months to a year = Shut up guys, these deals are GREAT! You just own everything!

I'm in the camp of people who have used Steam for years and agree that this sale is horrible. Bad choices for dailies, mediocre prices, no meta-achievements, and only 6 dailies make this the most disappointing "big" Steam sale to date. Thankfully places like Amazon, GMG, and GG are picking up the slack.

Like you say Steam are not the only DD service on the block now, so the fact these sales slightly 'suck' is no big deal for me.

Trade-ins? How does that work?
I had some games that I gotten for free months ago from GMG. They allow you to trade it in for credit. I had 3 games, each 50 cents. So I applied the 30% coupon first to bring down Sleeping Dogs to $11.90, then applied my credit on that to get it down to $10.40. You get the option of $4 cash back or $6 credit on your next purchase.

kswiston

Ya, that seems to be common with some credit cards/banks.

I just use Paypal. No problems with that method so far.

j-wood

lol Day 3 of 12 and valve has given up on great sales.

Come on people. At least wait until we are 1/2 and 3/4 of the way through it.

it was inevitable with steam increasingly becoming the dominate player in dd pc game services, there really isn't much incentive anymore for them to have ridiculous deals compared to gmg, amazon, etc. who do have that incentive since they want to increase their current small share of the market

Valve doesn't set the prices. If they did then don't you think Skyrim would have come down in price at some point and Bloodlines the masquerade would have still cost $20 in 2011?

It's either the other companies taking less than 30% to come in at a lower price than Steam, or more likely, publishers giving them better deals to chip at Steam dominance. Publishers like Ubisoft, EA, and Activision would prefer that Steam go away and that you buy games directly from their shops so they can charge whatever they want and keep 100% instead of 70%.

Decado

Anyone know how long DMC4 will be on sale for at GMG (and how long the 30% off code is good for)? I'm trying to decide whether to hold off for XCOM or Dishonored.

Of course XCOM can already be found for $22.50...

Amzin

How are the FEAR games? Are they all worth getting or does just one stand out?

The first one is the best story/atmosphere of the three. The second is as good gameplay-wise, if not better, than the first, but the other aspects are a bit meh. I HATED the third one solo, but it's a lot more fun with a co-op friend (and is the only of the three to offer co-op I believe).

The expansions to the first game are ok, nothing special. The DLC for the second I thought was decent, and fairly hard.

didamangi

Shows up for 2,25€ here in Germany :(

Not sure how you're seeing 63 cents, I see 75% off @ $2.49 (US btw).

Gamersgate is so random. Maybe this is the reverse deal for Cargo Commander :))

oJbrE.png

Dat price on Dota 2. Wish I could get early access, but no way I'm paying $15.

Pm me your email and I'll send an invite your way.

They charge money for Dota 2? I'm pretty sure I got it just from clicking the check box to opt in to Steam betas. I've never actually launched it, but it sure updates a lot.

Edit: Launched it for the first time, spectator only.

Sanic

iirc this is fairly common due to several CC companies thinking that GMG is a foreign gambling website.

sleepykyo

Valve doesn't set the prices. If they did then don't you think Skyrim would have come down in price at some point and Bloodlines the masquerade would have still cost $20 in 2011?

It's either the other companies taking less than 30% to come in at a lower price than Steam, or more likely, publishers giving them better deals to chip at Steam dominance. Publishers like Ubisoft, EA, and Activision would prefer that Steam go away and that you buy games directly from their shops so they can charge whatever they want and keep 100% instead of 70%.

I didn't realize Activision had a store.

Checks Activision. That is just stingy.
EA does 50% on some.
Ubisoft does 25%
Activision? 0.

Addnan

Mark of the Ninja and Rayman need to go on sale soon before I spend it on other crap that I won't play.

Bought Dawn of War franchise and Dead Island, yes I know its cheaper elsewhere, but monies tied up in Steam wallet.

Petrie

Banned
Tempted by that Biosjhock and Spec Ops bundle, but I know perfectly well I'll never play either Bioshock again. Damn my hoarding.

I suppose people are upset about Valve seemingly giving up on competing in terms of price. Pretty much the only deal that's competitive with Amazon/GMG is the current Dawn of War deal.

So the sale has not sucked, it just looks less impressive because of the competition. Oh that price anchoring.

Steam deals look very similar to years past. It's just we didn't have the competition doing similar sales that now have some deeper discounts.

The lack of metagame is the real bummer here, not the sales.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tempted by that Biosjhock and Spec Ops bundle, but I know perfectly well I'll never play either Bioshock again. Damn my hoarding.

I don't know when I'll ever replay the Bioshocks either, but they belong in every true Steamsmen's library. Sometimes it's all about fleshing out your collection.

Hm, my bank seemingly hates GMG now. I've purchased from there with Paypal in the past, don't know why it isn't authorizing me this time. wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom