• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
However, that doesn't stop this sale from being disappointing compared to previous years. Other than having worse discounts on newer (high profile) indie titles, the deals are about the same as always. But like I said, everyone else upped their game, making Steam sales themselves less special than they were in the past.

Agreed. Aside from the disappointing lack of a metagame, I don't see how this year's sales are in any way objectively worse than that of previous years. We're probably seeing the same type of discounts as before, and there certainly aren't less games on sale now that we have community choices and flash deals. It's just that Amazon and GMG have been even more aggressive with their discounts, and it helps that they've caught on to the fact that (most) people want Steamworks-everything. And of course, you get diminishing returns with Steam sales as your library grows, they're never as good as your first.

derExperte

Yep.

I don't really see a problem with it either. Those who are looking for those great deals can still get them. You're just losing out on convenience, I guess.

Valve have presumably reached a point where their userbase is continuing to grow at a rate such that they can raise the ASP of their catalog as a whole while still increasing revenue.

What I find disappoint aren't only the prices but mostly that Valve puts less and less effort in general into these sales. In the past they did innovative stuff like special achievements for indie games that wouldn't have been possible before Steam. Now? Even the layout is lazy, for example I loved browsing through the deals one year ago. Not so much this time. And didn't they once upon a time write little stories for every day?

Tizoc

Forgot to write down the list last time so excuse me for asking this game:
I need a list of 2D and 3D platformes on Steam, preferably single player type games, multi is optional.

...and how're the Blood Bowl games?

xJavonta

Banned
What I find disappoint aren't only the prices but mostly that Valve puts less and less effort in general into these sales. In the past they did innovative stuff like special achievements for indie games that wouldn't have been possible before Steam. Now? Even the layout is lazy, for example I loved browsing through the deals one year ago. Not so much this time. And didn't they once upon a time write little stories for every day?

I love this layout.

Forgot to write down the list last time so excuse me for asking this game:
I need a list of 2D and 3D platformes on Steam, preferably single player type games, multi is optional.

...and how're the Blood Bowl games?

I played it on Xbox a long time ago, wasn't my cup of tea.

Row

Banned
Yep.

I don't really see a problem with it either. Those who are looking for those great deals can still get them. You're just losing out on convenience, I guess.

Valve have presumably reached a point where their userbase is continuing to grow at a rate such that they can raise the ASP of their catalog as a whole while still increasing revenue.

it's good business, but the problem is a lot of people seem to forget that valve is a business with based gaben this and that, acting as if valve does what they do purely out of the goodness of their hearts rather than to make money.

kswiston

I imagine that they crunched the numbers for their minimal effort summer sale and found that people bought just as much (hell probably more) than they did in past sales even without all the fun extras.

xJavonta

Banned
I know what I'm looking for now.

I want a good pickup and play mulitplayer FPS game similar to CoD. Any good deals on any games like that? I would get Blops 2 but it's $50 and I already have it on my 360. At $30 I would bite.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I hate myself for considering buying Quantum Conundrum. The demo was really bad and I probably won't ever play it but at $3...
It' not worth it.

Even if buying the game somehow gave you 4 dollars in your Steam wallet, it isn't worth it.

kswiston

GMG copy of Sleeping Dogs is so bought. $7.90 for a game that came out in August (or $11.90 with $6 credit if you are a regular customer) is nuts. Steam will offer that same title up as a daily/flash deal for $25 later in the sale.

wazoo

Sales are really disapointing.

I go Stealth Bastard Deluxe at -50% on getgames whereas it is stucked at -25% on steam (and devs said they could not do better)

Minion101

Banned

I want a good pickup and play mulitplayer FPS game similar to CoD. Any good deals on any games like that? I would get Blops 2 but it's $50 and I already have it on my 360. At $30 I would bite.

Like Battlefield? Amazon will have 2 of the games on sale.

12/26-12/31:
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Ultimate Digital Collection $7.49

12/26-12/27:
Battlefield 3: Premium Edition $29.99

Row

Banned
GMG copy of Sleeping Dogs is so bought. $7.90 for a game that came out in August (or $11.90 with $6 credit if you are a regular customer) is nuts. Steam will offer that same title up as a daily/flash deal for $25 later in the sale.

can it be activated on steam? not a fan of gmg's capsule

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Picked up Sleeping Dogs at $7.90 on Green Man Gaming with the voucher code and cash back option O_O

I figure Steam...probably won't go that low in a sale lol

didamangi

So, uh, that Sleeping Dogs GMG deal is pretty amazing. Buy Sleeping Dogs, get Arkham City GOTY/Arkham Asylum GOTY/Devil May Cry 4 for free. So good.

Isaccard

Homefront. Seriously, it's a good game and the multiplayer is exactly what you're looking for.

xJavonta

Banned
Homefront. Seriously, it's a good game and the multiplayer is exactly what you're looking for.

I remember playing the beta on 360 (back before I got this whole PC gaming thing) and coming to the conclusion that it was shitty. I guess I can give it another shot on the PC though. Thanks!

Edit: Wait, something tells me this is a class based game. Am I remembering correctly or am I just stupid?

PayDay? It's Coop though. Or Crysis 2.

Actually, I have had Payday on my wishlist for a while now, thanks for reminding me! And I already have C2 haha thanks.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
For people voting, I thought Ace of Spades was kinda bad. Though I only played it for a few minutes, it just didn't seem interesting

You mean like when you finish a level and one of the guys at the counter wants to give you something? Those aren't important, I don't think. Just get to the next mission!
Nah. I mean the ones at the beginning before you get to the car the first time. Had to exit 3 times to get it to work.

By cookies, I mean the orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom