• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who have used Steam for years = These sales are horrible compared to past sales.

People who have used Steam for 6 months to a year = Shut up guys, these deals are GREAT! You just own everything!

I'm in the camp of people who have used Steam for years and agree that this sale is horrible. Bad choices for dailies, mediocre prices, no meta-achievements, and only 6 dailies make this the most disappointing "big" Steam sale to date. Thankfully places like Amazon, GMG, and GG are picking up the slack.

I've been on Steam for years, but I'm indifferent towards it. I picked up a few games for good prices (Chaos Theory, FEAR 3, Botanicula). Plus I'm not ready to call it horrible when it's only been a few days out of what, like two weeks (?).

How are the FEAR games? Are they all worth getting or does just one stand out?

Are you into first-person games? I enjoyed all three.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
People who have used Steam for years = These sales are horrible compared to past sales.

People who have used Steam for 6 months to a year = Shut up guys, these deals are GREAT! You just own everything!

I'm in the camp of people who have used Steam for years and agree that this sale is horrible. Bad choices for dailies, mediocre prices, no meta-achievements, and only 6 dailies make this the most disappointing "big" Steam sale to date. Thankfully places like Amazon, GMG, and GG are picking up the slack.

I have used Steam since February 2005. Obviously these deals are not as good as years past, but we have quite a ways to go in the sale which is why it think a lot of the complaints are unwarranted (but not all unwarranted of course).

I've never actually bought a bundle pack through steam... How does it work? Like the THQ bundle... I have half the games, so can I pick and choose which to keep and which I could gift to friends for holiday?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I started using Steam 6 months ago and still think this sale is worse than the Summer Sale. Less Daily Deals, several weird choices of DDs and no new adventures of Cyl and the gang.

It doesn't help that GMG and Amazon can manage to beat Steam with their discounts.

How are the FEAR games? Are they all worth getting or does just one stand out?
The first game is one of my top 2 FPS, and top 3 games overall. Its expansions are also good, but non-canon. The sequel is awesome too, while the DLC is enjoyable. The third game... Yeah, there's also a third game.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Bought Sleeping Dogs.

Just waiting on Far Cry 3 or Assassin's Creed 3 for $40 or less.

kswiston

I have used Steam since February 2005. Obviously these deals are not as good as years past, but we have quite a ways to go in the sale which is why it think a lot of the complaints are unwarranted (but not all unwarranted of course).

People made these same arguments during the summer sale (and Autumn sale) and I don't think that ever improved much beyond the first couple of days. Some days are better than others, but I think we have seen a large enough sample of deals to know what to expect for the rest. For instance, Why is XCOM being offered for $33 when multiple other digital stores have had it on sale for $25?

steadfast

I've never actually bought a bundle pack through steam... How does it work? Like the THQ bundle... I have half the games, so can I pick and choose which to keep and which I could gift to friends for holiday?

No, you can't pick and choose. If you bought it, the remaining games would be added to your Library and that's it. So far, I think Valve is the only publisher that will put duplicates in your gift inventory.

Just got $60 in Steam credit... I know I want Dark Souls but I need to wait on a better deal as I'm sure there'll be one.

Did someone say that DMC3 sucked on PC?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just got $60 in Steam credit... I know I want Dark Souls but I need to wait on a better deal as I'm sure there'll be one.

Did someone say that DMC3 sucked on PC?

Dark souls is gonna be $13 at amazon Jan 1st, when used with a $5 credit. Which you can get by buying just about any digital game.

Dark souls is gonna be $13 at amazon Jan 1st, when used with a $5 credit. Which you can get buying just about anything digital game.

So... don't worry about Dark Souls right now. Gotcha. Thanks!

edit: and thanks mike, that kind of sucks as I'd really love to have it on PC. oh well.

Petrie

Banned
If anyone wants Spec Ops but not the 2 Bioshock games with it, I'd be willing to split an Amazon bundle. Shoot me a PM, it'd be $5 each.

kswiston

Dark souls is gonna be $13 at amazon Jan 1st, when used with a $5 credit. Which you can get buying just about anything digital game.

You also get that $5 credit for buying DLC. I purchased 5 pieces of Civ 5 DLC (for $1.25 each) in 5 separate orders for a GAF member and got 5 of those coupons.

Dark souls is gonna be $13 at amazon Jan 1st, when used with a $5 credit. Which you can get by buying just about any digital game.

What a fucking deal. There are some games, that when I consider the prices people are paying, my mind is blown. Witcher 2 for under $7.50, Dark Souls for $8, etc, it's craziness.

oipic

Gosh, if I hadn't already accumulated all the DoW stuff in recent months (minus all the DoWII DLC, and Soulstorm), I'd be all over that bundle in an instant.

If you're vaguely into RTS gaming, and are on the fence about this, you'll be getting oodles of top-shelf gaming here for your money.

You also get that $5 credit for buying DLC. I purchased 5 pieces of Civ 5 DLC (for $1.25 each) in 5 separate orders for a GAF member and got 5 of those coupons.
Does the purchase have to be in December to get the $5 coupon for January? The last thing I bought from Amazon was the Absolutely Great Square Pack in Oct. Got my eye on Dark Souls.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Does the purchase have to be in December to get the $5 coupon for January? The last thing I bought from Amazon was the Absolutely Great Square Pack in Oct. Got my eye on Dark Souls.

Like someone mentioned above, the dlc nets you the $5 credit as well. Just buy some cheap pack.

I believe it ends Dec 31st. Could be wrong though.

Enco

CS: GO went up in price?

Ah well. I got it the first day of the sale (wanted more time to play before I got busy).

dreamfall

GAF what say you on Train Simulator 2013? That DLC list is super expansive, but as a lover of pretty sights and long journeys- is it fun? Is that even applicable?

It sure looks serene.

kswiston

I think the promo started during the Black Friday sale, but it is still going on as far as I know. Even 50 cent DLC will get you a coupon.

cicero

I agree entirely. The previous meta-achievements really helped ramp up the interest and excitement involved in these sales. They really should have made the effort again instead of getting lazy/indifferent or focused entirely on the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom