• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dina

A word of warning, Windows 8 and Dark Souls do not mix together. I've just wasted one hour and 15 dollars on a game that's failing to boot. All the GFWL fixes haven't worked for me.

J5klv.jpg

So Awesome Snow!

Echoplx

Any impressions on Evochron Mercenary? The youtube vids are not enough.

Depends on what you're into, it's a very 'passive' experience, the game really focuses on mining/trading/exploring/upgrading, the MP adds more depth to that as you can build your own clan, take over or build new space stations and PvP with other players (there's a surprisingly active PvP scene actually, when I played with some friends we met up with some other players, they brought us onto there teamspeak and taught us the basics and everything, was fun)

I would highly recommend it, more so if you can get a friend or two to join you as it makes the experience a lot more enjoyable, I sunk 80 hours into it.

There's a demo version on the site if you want to try it
http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/downloads.htm

Remember to wait for the daily deals though :p

Milamber

Giant Bomb did a quick look. Seems interesting.
Saw it! While hilarious, it was that vid that whetted my appetite in the first place.

Depends on what you're into, it's a very 'passive' experience, the game really focuses on mining/trading/exploring/upgrading, the MP adds more depth to that as you can build your own clan, take over or build new space stations and PvP with other players (there's a surprisingly active PvP scene actually, when I played with some friends we met up with some other players, they brought us onto there teamspeak and taught us the basics and everything, was fun)

I would highly recommend it, more so if you can get a friend or two to join you as it makes the experience a lot more enjoyable, I sunk 80 hours into it.

There's a demo version on the site if you want to try it
http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/downloads.htm

Remember to wait for the daily deals though :p
Hmm, wish I was off work to play that demo. Are those giant ships flyable too?

It's not showing for me despite being logged in. (On the website, not within the client.)

Maybe the sites messed up. I would of thought they would of shown what was community choice even if not logged in. Sorry for not being more helpful.
EDIT: LOL The client wont show the community choice either, I thought I saw it earlier. It was Ace of Spades 75% off. Just so you know.
I'd totally give it to him for free if he wants it- let me know!

I confused two different posts, sorry.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
It hasn't been on sale since 38 Studios closed its doors, though, and at this point probably never will be again. That said, somebody close to the situation clearly knows about Steam as the game is still being sold ~seven months after the company went bust.

38 Studios might have given Valve a license to sell an unlimited amount of copies with a stipulation that price reductions needed approval from 38. Mostly to avoid those situations where keys run out and Valve has to hound the developer to obtain additional keys hours to days later, meaning lost sales for 38.

Edit: I was buying a washer & dryer today.. $2000 gone in an instant. So is there any good games for cheap on steam/ come with a steam key?

Is RE5 worth it with the 30% off on gmg (and I'm reading something about cashback?) ? Or should I be looking at amazon?

Thanks for the help!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
38 Studios might have given Valve a license to sell an unlimited amount of copies with a stipulation that price reductions needed approval from 38. Mostly to avoid those situations where keys run out and Valve has to hound the developer to obtain additional keys hours to days later, meaning lost sales for 38.

Even if that were true, the franchise is no longer owned by 38 Studios, so any pre-existing obligations that were in place when the state of Rhode Island assumed ownership of 38S's assets would have been reviewed and approved. Essentially, my point is that somebody close to the situation could approve sales on the game, but for whatever reason this isn't happening.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Even if that were true, the franchise is no longer owned by 38 Studios, so any pre-existing obligations that were in place when the state of Rhode Island assumed ownership of 38S's assets would have been reviewed and approved. Essentially, my point is that somebody close to the situation could approve sales on the game, but for whatever reason this isn't happening.

Yeah, but this is a government assuming a large debt, so I assume that they decided to temporarily extend the contract to keep revenue flowing in.

How is Lone Survivor? Trying to add more indie, arty games to my steam collection. Couldn't pass up Limbo and Dear Esther at barely over £1, so I've picked them up. Lone Survivor looks interesting, anyone played it?

I was finally gifted Bad Rats by a friend of mine earlier today, and I pretty much shirked it off as a joke once I saw it even though I still added it to my library. A few hours later I was a little bored, thinking about what I should to pass the time which led me to think "Fuck it." and I started up the game that is so infamously said to be bad, if you will.

Right off the bat, I was thrown off by the PS1 visuals that the game had vomitted into my face. Sure, it was appalling for a game released in 2009 to look like this, but what made me laugh was the Microsoft Sam like voice teaching me the mechanics in the tutorial.

I proceeded to play the FORTY-FOUR levels that make up the entirety of Bad Rats for close to 4 hours. You could say it had a strange charm about it or I had a masochistic desire to complete the game that I started, but I had trouble actually putting it down. I was even victim to a bizarre crash that started with me losing control of the game during the second to last level. While I was moving a trampoline on the level, the game suddenly put me into the pause menu and without clicking anything, it went from the options menu, to the save menu, and then to the Quit Game menu resulting in the game almost forcing itself off. I didn't even realize there was a manual save option prior to that. It was as if the game made this last desperate attempt to stop me from playing it, but I pushed on, found the level code, and finished the final two levels.

Let me tell you, all of the claims of this particular game being awful are more than true. The physics are incredibly inconsistent which resulted in numerous attempts at the same angle that had worked fine once, twice, and even three times before. I swear the music is like a batch of those copyright free songs that anyone can use so basically stock music. They're really generic yet they didn't fit the game at all. There were many instances where the ball or various objects that you place down would clip through the map forcing you to restart. Even worse, the objects would practically glitch out of the 2D framework and toward you or all around the screen. I've already mentioned the awful, incredibly dated graphics that don't even make sense for a game of its time of release, and that is the least of Bad Rat's problems.

Bad Rats: the Rats' Revenge is an awful, buggy, worse than shovelware quality puzzle game, yet I had some strange fun with it and even had quite a few laughs along the way. So take that for what it's worth.

Wok

You could try installing the Bluestacks Android App Player and see if you can find the Steam APK for download on some forum somewhere. But I could never get Bluestacks to work, so your milage may vary.

It worked!

huB33.png

I was finally gifted Bad Rats by a friend of mine earlier today, and I pretty much shirked it off as a joke once I saw it even though I still added it to my library. A few hours later I was a little bored, thinking about what I should to pass the time which led me to think "Fuck it." and I started up the game that is so infamously said to be bad, if you will.

Right off the bat, I was thrown off by the PS1 visuals that the game had vomitted into my face. Sure, it was appalling for a game released in 2009 to look like this, but what made me laugh was the Microsoft Sam like voice teaching me the mechanics in the tutorial.

I proceeded to play the FORTY-FOUR levels that make up the entirety of Bad Rats for close to 4 hours. You could say it hard a strange charm about it or a masochistic desire to complete the game that I started, but I had trouble actually putting it down. I was even victim to a bizarre crash that started with me losing control of the game during the second to last level. While I was moving a trampoline on the level, the game suddenly put me into the pause menu and without clicking anything, it went from the options menu, to the save menu, and then to the Quit Game menu resulting in the game almost forcing itself off. I didn't even realize there was a manual save option prior to that. It was as if the game made this last desperate attempt to stop me from playing it, but I pushed on, found the level code, and finished the final two levels.

Let me tell you, all of the claims of this particular game being awful are more than true. The physics are incredibly inconsistent which resulted in numerous attempts at the same angle that had worked fine once, twice, and even three times before. I swear the music is like a batch of those copyright free songs that anyone can use so basically stock music. They're really generic yet they didn't fit the game at all. There were many instances where the ball or various objects that you place down would clip through the map forcing you to restart. Even worse, the objects were practically glitch out of the 2D framework and toward you or all around the screen. I've already mentioned the awful, incredibly dated graphics that don't even make sense for a game of its time of release, and that is the least of Bad Rat's problems.

Bad Rats: the Rats' Revenge is an awful, buggy, worse than shovelware quality puzzle game, yet I had some strange fun with it and even had quite a few laughs along the way. So take that for what it's worth.

Now, play Secret of the Magic Crystals. Awfully repetitive and badly designed.

A word of warning, Windows 8 and Dark Souls do not mix together. I've just wasted one hour and 15 dollars on a game that's failing to boot. All the GFWL fixes haven't worked for me.
I played 117 hours of Dark Souls on Windows 8, it works. When you say "All the GFWL fixes" what does that include? Have you uninstalled all traces of GFWL from your machine and installed the very latest version of it? The latest version is only found in Microsoft Flight, which is free. It has fixed many people's issues with GFWL and Windows 8. I'd start there if you haven't already tried it.

Eusis

I played 117 hours of Dark Souls on Windows 8, it works. When you say "All the GFWL fixes" what does that include? Have you uninstalled all traces of GFWL from your machine and installed the very latest version of it? The latest version is only found in Microsoft Flight, which is free. It has fixed many people's issues with GFWL and Windows 8. I'd start there if you haven't already tried it.
The fact the only way to get it is by downloading another game almost invalidates those fixes, even if it's a free game. Seriously, can't Microsoft keep this stuff simple and just let people download the damn client separately or have it update in the game? This is just showing again why no one took GFWL seriously.

Anyways, noticed the Dead Island DLC can't be bought individually anymore! Except for a single weapon, what in the fuck.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow... thanks for all the gifts while I was away guys. You know who you are, I love you

I'm not gonna be able to play or post on GAF for the next 18-24h, see you all later ♠

Oh bloody hell, come on Football Manager. Get a discount now.

*sacrifices a Man Utd. jersey*

It's probably for the best, Football Manager isn't a game, it's a soul sucking time sink. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

allansm

Fly'n is great, every platformer fan should own it. It's closer to Rayman Origins than to Super Meat Boy, although the pace is slower. Levels are big for 2D platformers and filled with collectibles. At first they are simple, but as you unlock the other characters they get more complex, with puzzle to solve. Fly'n also is a long game for the price: it took me 13 hours to finish it aand I didn't bother getting all the collectibles or achievements.

It's probably for the best, Football Manager isn't a game, it's a soul sucking time sink. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

I know. I played Football Manager 2012. I uninstalled it, after I realised that it was sucking my soul dry.

But the itch came. The itch cannot be stopped until it is satiated. The itch whispers to me everyday to bring Manchester United to glory, and let Manchester City burn in ruin by my hand. The itch will be my death, but what a wonderful death it will be.

Gazzawa

Gentlemen dilemma time.
In about 4 hours time walking dead will be on sale for half off.
I played the first ep on iOS so I know I want it.
I checked can you run it to see if my laptop could play it. Boom failure. Everything is above par except for the video card needs to be 512mb . mines 384mb.
Anyone think I should risk it or just play the rest on iOS??. Would cost about the same.
Thanks.

Artofwar420

Fly'n is great, every platformer fan should own it. It's closer to Rayman Origins than to Super Meat Boy, although the pace is slower. Levels are big for 2D platformers and filled with collectibles. At first they are simple, but as you unlock the other characters they get more complex, with puzzle to solve. Fly'n also is a long game for the price: it took me 13 hours to finish it aand I didn't bother getting all the collectibles or achievements.

Stop convincing me man. (Convince me more)

masterkajo

On amazon.com they got Battlefield 3 for $14 now. A friend of mine is bugging me to buy and it and play with him since launch. Does anyone know if the Origin code is region specific or if I can buy from EU and activate and play without problems?

Gentlemen dilemma time.
In about 4 hours time walking dead will be on sale for half off.
I played the first ep on iOS so I know I want it.
I checked can you run it to see if my laptop could play it. Boom failure. Everything is above par except for the video card needs to be 512mb . mines 384mb.
Anyone think I should risk it or just play the rest on iOS??. Would cost about the same.
Thanks.

Oh though one. I don't own an iOS device so I don't know how good the quality of the game is on the systems, but either way you should play it. Be it on iOS or PC. It is definitly my GotY.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member

Works fine for me, just tried it after upgrading from Windows 7.

Try disabling Windows Firewall although you should get the prompt to allow access from Windows anyway.

Tizoc

I was convinced when I read 'closer to Rayman Origins', will get it when i get home.

I hope FM13 doesn't go on sale, I don't want to buy it...*looks at hundreds of hours put into FM2011 and 2012*

gogogow

Community's Choice deal, possible it will be in the Daily Deals? The Walking Dead at 50% isn't very attractive imo, it's already that price at Gamefly UK, was hoping for 75% off :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom