• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Hmm, I just looked through my Steam account history, and apparently I spent $150 during last Winter Sale. All of it was either indie games, or compilation packs / bundles of older games. I don't see a single new release AAA game on there.

Maybe it really is business as usual and I just have too many games to the point where every flash or daily deal is like "but I have it already".

--

Anyways, wasn't Scribblenauts supposed to be on sale today?

--

Also, as far as non-game games go, I played Dear Esther and To the Moon back-to-back on the same day, and I think I enjoyed TTM way more. Some really good humor and interesting character interaction, not just uber depressing-ness. Dear Esther is a looker though, to be sure. It'll make you go "I didn't know the oldish Source engine could do that. I can't believe my framerates aren't tanking".

Facism

right. amazon spent the last 4 minutes processing and then told me it was taking too long to process, so they have to go through extra verification that could take up to 4 hours -_-

1-D_FTW

Hmm, I just looked through my Steam account history, and apparently I spent $150 during last Winter Sale. All of it was either indie games, or compilation packs / bundles of older games. I don't see a single new release AAA game on there.

Maybe it really is business as usual and I just have too many games to the point where every flash or daily deal is like "but I have it already".

--

Anyways, wasn't Scribblenauts supposed to be on sale today?

--

Also, as far as non-game games go, I played Dear Esther and To the Moon back-to-back on the same day, and I think I enjoyed TTM way more. Some really good humor and interesting character interaction, not just uber depressing-ness. Dear Esther is a looker though, to be sure. It'll make you go "I didn't know the oldish Source engine could do that. I can't believe my framerates aren't tanking".

Starts the 24th (USA time).

HoosTrax

It's a fun CPU benchmark, I couldn't get into the actual game though, I wanted to.
I don't understand how they managed to make that game such a resource hog. It takes forever to load a game, even on SSD. My overworld framerates are appalling, and the game overworld doesn't even look better than Civ.

I don't have this issue in Empire or Napoleon afaik.

One of these sales I'll get the train simulator game

Also Shogun 2 is really poorly optimised. It kept crashing on the 32bit system, there advice was more or less upgrade your system...

I don't understand how they managed to make that game such a resource hog. It takes forever to load a game, even on SSD. My overworld framerates are appalling, and the game overworld doesn't even look better than Civ.

I don't have this issue in Empire or Napoleon afaik.

Well yeah, but I don't mind hogs if it shows, and this game is a looker so...

I had the same thoughts about the overworld though, Civ is much better.

edit: removing offer, but if anyone was in the process of answering the question, still send it to me and if you're first you'll still get the game fair and square :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fly'N and Ignite have the dubious honour of being my first purchases of the sale (I bought DMC4 from GMG and was gifted the Ghost Recon pack as well as CoD: World at War). Still waiting on Miasmata and Primordia to get their 50% discount.

Doomrider

How's Freedom Force? Thinking of picking it up due to it giving off a 60s era/Kirby-esque comic vibe.

Both pretty good; the second one more so than the first. The first one feels a bit too long for its own good, but it's still a good, solid game. The second one is a bit shorter (a plus), the new characters go a long way toward making the team feel new all over again, the missions are more compelling and the levels have these really cool textures that make them look straight out of a comic book (not cel-shading, though).

The voice acting is ridiculous in the best possible way (Mentor <3), and the storylines manage to be all kinds of crazy but always interesting and even cool.

It's totally worth the asking price.

squicken

It's too bad Amazon's $5 January don't stack. Never going to use the vast majority of the ones I have. I wish you could give away the unused ones

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Any thoughts on Loki? It looks like a fake game that you'd see someone playing on TV, so I'm kind of intrigued to try it. Steam says it has multiplayer too, no idea what kind though.

Edit: Ah, nevermind. It looks like Diablo. Meh.

SparkTR

What happened to Shogun 1 on Steam? It seems to have been replaced by the mobile version of itself.

Shogun 1 was never on Steam, the mobile game is part of a spin-off series called Total War Battles, it's pretty bad. Also it's pretty easy getting those older TW games to run on modern machines.

Addnan

Not sales related, but since this is the only steam thread.

Started playing TF2 the other day, is it normal to get people asking to trade all the time?

Do I even have anything worth trading?

zy2pC.png

8eVcg.png

JaseC

Not sales related, but since this is the only steam thread.

Started playing TF2 the other day, is it normal to get people asking to trade all the time?

Do I even have anything worth trading?

zy2pC.png

8eVcg.png

Yeah. It's for this reason that as a rule of thumb I decline friend requests unless the person is in the GAF group and/or we have friends in common.

LuuKyK

Is Tera still a monthly recurring charge? Or did they go F2P as well?

EDIT: Wait, is it even on Steam in the US?

I'm pretty sure its not in any country steam. For sure in the US its not at least. And its not F2P afaik.

Edit: Actually it seems it just turned F2P from visiting their site. Cool.

coopolon

Yup, so my save isn't carrying over from The Walking Dead Episode 1 to 2. I knew it was going to happen. Telltale is such a shitty company.

TGMIII

I'm pretty sure its not in any country steam. For sure in the US its not at least. And its not F2P afaik.

It's on the EU store.
F2P for the US version has restrictions on level and other stuff.

filipe

I don't get the thread title.

Space Marine 75% off, do it Steam/THQ.

I don't get most thread titles on GAF sometimes. Usually seems like an elitist thing.

"Herp derp, I made an obscure reference to something less than 1/3 of GAF will understand."

JaseC

Yup, so my save isn't carrying over from The Walking Dead Episode 1 to 2. I knew it was going to happen. Telltale is such a shitty company.

I've seen some defend the general bugginess of the game by saying Telltale is a relatively small company* and TWD is its biggest hit to date. I'm not exactly sure why a game being unexpectedly popular precludes post-launch support...

* I'm inclined to disagree given the head count of 125.

legacyzero

Banned

When you type Tera in the search, is shows a trailer in the list. But when I click it, it says not available in my region. Just got mega trolled.

Game looks awesome, but I refuse to pay a MRC for anything gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom