• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwilt

Q6QuY.jpg

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES

If this doesn't go any lower than that, then I'm gonna have to resort to buying this used on PS3. Gamestop has it for $9.99. Crap.

Petrie

Banned
What the hell is going on and why do people keep sending games to this person?

It became a GAF thing at some point in the holiday sales I guess, and everyone just keeps doing it. Yoshi gets more free games every year than everyone else combined.

I got the fear Collection FTL, Fairy game, and Bad rats. . . . I spent 70 bucks so far. . . I sent out free dota 2 keys and got free stuff LOL. Fear Collection was from a friend who is on Gaf.

What the hell is going on and why do people keep sending games to this person?

Beats me. Yoshi will probably just sell his Steam account full of gifted games at some point, and go live the life in some island he'll buy
or he'll receive as a gift from some crazy seduced gaffer

We have around 5 different storefronts constantly undercutting each other to give us a better deal, it's a consumers paradise. I have a feeling, for whatever reason, this won't last and we'll look back at this as a kind of golden age of digital distribution.

Exactly. There's been so much negativity on the Steam deals because now, in comparison, they don't have the shock value they used to because of the competition.

But looking from the business side, the only way these sales can continue as they are right now is if we see significant growth in the PC digital download consumer base.

This is a problem as it's a fairly static population. And, with deals like this, soon most of the heaviest purchasers will have everything they want (and say "these sales suck" as soon as they do).

So the results of sales like this will start to look less and less appealing to devs/pubs if it's just a share game between a bunch of providers.

Aaaaaaand now that consumer price expectations have been shifted away from $49.99 to $2.50 or even $9.99, the long-term impact of these sales is still not fully fleshed out.

The Steambox has to be a hit, or these sales have to start hitting the mass/casual audience for it to continue after the next couple of years.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When exactly can I play Scribblenauts Unlimited?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy February batman, that's crazy ._. Oh well.

Petrie

Banned
Some people aren't aware that I also gift games to people.

Nah I've seen that, I just know that a whole load of goodwill goes to you that would be better served being spread around.

When Yosh i gets a free game, it has become the expectation. Not even a big deal. "Oh, ANOTHER game for YOSHI!" lol

When someone else does, it's a once in a blue moon event, and can make their day/week/etc.

First person to quote this gets a Prey Steam Key in there PM box.

Never played Prey, but I know this won't be the first post. Oh well. Glad a game will go to someone not Yoshi.

I agree with the people above saying that this will not last. This year I don't feel like buying anything because I have most of the stuff I want, and soon some studios will definitely go broke because of tiny revenues compared to their capital expenditure.

Until then, I hope some people will find a way to backup Steam games and launch them outside of Steam, as Steam's been taking the piss since last Summer and the other storefronts make Steam look stupid by using it's own platform, servers and bandwidth but not giving Valve a cent. Sooner or later something will backfire...

LuuKyK

Nah I've seen that, I just know that a whole load of goodwill goes to you that would be better served being spread around.

When Yosh i gets a free game, it has become the expectation. Not even a big deal. "Oh, ANOTHER game for YOSHI!" lol

When someone else does, it's a once in a blue moon event, and can make their day/week/etc.

Dude, its not like he is asking to be gifted...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Half Minute Hero and They Bleed Pixels any good? Both look interesting, but I'd like to hear some impressions first before taking a bite.

Does anyone know if I buy Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package as a gift in my inventory, is it one package to unlock or is everything in separate packages?

I've already got the game, I just want the DLC.

Petrie

Banned
Until then, I hope some people will find a way to backup Steam games and launch them outside of Steam, as Steam's been taking the piss since last Summer and the other storefronts make Steam look stupid by using it's own platform, servers and bandwidth but not giving Valve a cent. Sooner or later something will backfire...

Valve makes money from Steamworks games though.

That and it gets people into the ecosystem, which makes them tons more money.

Dude, its not like he is asking to be gifted...

I realize that. I don't fault Yoshi, and people can spend their money however they wish. It's just a shame so much goodwill goes to one poster that could be spread and make a lot of Gaffers days.

Yoshichan

Whatever, it's fine. I'll stop.

Some people have checked my chat logs and knows that I don't appreciate gifts. This is clearly the case.

See you SteamGAF.

dreamfall

Whatever, it's fine. I'll stop.

Some people have checked my chat logs and knows that I don't appreciate gifts. This is clearly the case.

See you SteamGAF.

Don't go! Haters are gonna hate! You're much loved, and are well deserved to get gifts! Enjoy them- don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom