• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Is Scribblenaughts Unlimited (Amazon sale) worth it if I already own the iOS version?

iOS version is, arguably, the worst version of that game.

Both PC and Wii versions have a "object editor" that allows you to create any object you so desire.

However, the PC version has Workshop integration, which means that you can share those creations, for free, with everybody on the service.

So I'd say yes, it's worth it.

Eternia

Scribblenauts Unlimited is so cheap on Amazon but I still have over $40 sitting in my Steam wallet dying to be spent. ...Anyone willing to spend <$10 of my wallet in exchange for a code?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is Scribblenaughts Unlimited (Amazon sale) worth it if I already own the iOS version?

It sounds like it's a bit more ambitious, it features a seamless world instead of small, individual levels. But as someone who owns the iOS version, my main motivation for purchasing Unlimited is Steam Workshop support. Check out the OT, people have made some pretty awesome/hilarious custom content.

Thinking of picking up some of the Half Life games but not sure I have the cash, spent most of my sale budget on that Bethesda GG deal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any idea on how low AC: Revelations will get if it gets a special discount?

-66% would be my guess. Although it was 66% off a few times during the Summer Sale, that was with a base price of $40. It's now $30, meaning a discount of 66% would put it at $10.20; I don't see Ubi letting a one-year-old game fall below the $10 mark, especially since it was just half off ($15) a couple of months ago (Midweek Madness).

Mileena

Banned
Age of Booty
Risen 2
Escape from Monkey Island & Monkey Island 2
Tales of Monkey Island
Sid Meier's Pirates!

What else is there? I'm kinda in the mood for some pirate themed gaming now that you've mentioned it.
I want Risen 2. Any good or even decent?

Petrie

Banned
Wrong. I've totally hit the wall. I've bought everything I've wanted to buy LOL

Now you have to buy all the things you don't ever want!

I just gifted this to JasonFrost 3 days ago and he already played 20 hours and is ranked 4th on the World Record List of Bad Rats...

Did I do him a favor or what?

nlJrD.jpg

This is a guy I want to gift to, holy shit.

Scribblenauts Unlimited is so cheap on Amazon but I still have over $40 sitting in my Steam wallet dying to be spent. ...Anyone willing to spend <$10 of my wallet in exchange for a code?

I probably can when the new dailies hit. lol

Have to wait for the dailies!

cicero

He was already talking with publishers. In a way monetizing his presence on GAF beyond what his threads already did. The whole thing was slimy and I'm glad he's gone. Using NeoGAF as a storefront, no doubt being measured on metrics of how many sales were directed from GAF, how many page views his threads had, how many replies. I'm glad he's gone. Should GAF allow every company out there to have their own virtual store front threads on GAF? From Walmart to Gamestop, and every mom and pop in between?
Yeah, he was talking directly to Publishers, TO OUR BENEFIT. With the full weight of Amazon he pushed for DRM Free versions of games based on fervent GAF and CAG feedback, and we saw Publishers respond with changes to not only products sold on Amazon, but Steam versions as well. He specifically pushed for game deals directly with Publishers based on direct feedback from this community. He fixed problems that people had with orders or other various technical problems with games. But apparently that is all horrendous because there is ANY kind of profit being made or contemplated. Apparently you would rather that consumers resort to what, petitions, or email campaigns, or maybe posts on developer/publisher forums, to try to motivate changes in DRM, or fix problems with the games, or get them reduced in price somehow?

"slimy". What a ridiculous load of crap.

Do you see the way that Amazon lowers prices and moves up sales on software to match the Steam sales? The Walking Dead was supposed to be discounted later this week. When it went on sale yesterday they immediately dropped their price. Sure that's just business, but it should also make it clear exactly why he was posting in Steam threads for both Steam activated games and non-Steam activated games. The entire reason he showed up here was because of the success of the Steam threads and to put a dent in it. It wouldnt surprise me at all, in fact I would actually be surprised if it wasnt true, that one of the metrics he was being graded on was how much of an impact he could make on the Steam threads themselves. Not purely in the sales on Amazon that were directed from the Steam threads, but if he could show a slowing of the view and post count of the thread from previous years.
Tony drops prices based on prices on Steam, and other US based digital distribution hubs, due largely to USER FEEDBACK. If it is from a legitimate US digital service, he will try to price match it. OUTRAGEOUS!@# As if somehow pricematching is some kind of morally or ethically suspect practice??? That is absolutely no proof or evidence for your inane claim that he was trying to slow down "the view and post count of the thread from previous years".

Your claims are unfounded and inane. Tony was the best official rep I have seen. He was a great benefit to this community specifically because he had the power to push changes directly with his employer or with Publishers on our behalf. That it was a positive benefit to Amazon's bottom line is not in someway an inherent evil or "slimy" aspect of Amazon or Tony's activities.

RedSwirl

iOS version is, arguably, the worst version of that game.

Both PC and Wii versions have a "object editor" that allows you to create any object you so desire.

However, the PC version has Workshop integration, which means that you can share those creations, for free, with everybody on the service.

So I'd say yes, it's worth it.

Wow. And I still think the iOS version is pretty good (haven't played any other version).

Munin

Yeah, he was talking directly to Publishers, TO OUR BENEFIT. With the full weight of Amazon he pushed for DRM Free versions of games based on fervent GAF and CAG feedback, and we saw Publishers respond with changes to not only products sold on Amazon, but Steam versions as well. He specifically pushed for game deals directly with Publishers based on direct feedback from this community. He fixed problems that people had with orders or other various technical problems with games. But apparently that is all horrendous because there is ANY kind of profit being made or contemplated. Apparently you would rather that consumers resort to what, petitions, or email campaigns, or maybe posts on developer/publisher forums, to try to motivate changes in DRM, or fix problems with the games, or get them reduced in price somehow?

Tony drops prices based on prices on Steam, and other US based digital distribution hubs, due largely to USER FEEDBACK. If it is from a legitimate US digital service, he will try to price match it. OUTRAGEOUS!@# As if somehow pricematching is some kind of morally or ethically suspect practice??? That is absolutely no proof or evidence for your inane claim that he was trying to slow down "the view and post count of the thread from previous years".

Your claims are unfounded and inane. Tony was the best official rep I have seen. He was a great benefit to this community specifically because he had the power to push changes directly with his employer or with Publishers on our behalf. That it was a positive benefit to Amazon's bottom line is not in someway an inherent evil or "slimy" aspect of Amazon or Tony's activities.

Thank you

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wow. And I still think the iOS version is pretty good (haven't played any other version).

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe it's a bad version. I never played it on iOS, but from all I've read and watched, it seems a very good version.

It's just the worst one out of the 3 available.

demidar

I have Silent Hill: Homecoming (lol), 3 Dota 2 keys for those who want to play, Breath of Death 7 and Cthulu Saves the World that I am willing to give away. Send me a PM with what you want, first come, first serve. One game per person.

Oh and 4 Nuclear Dawn games. But I think that game's dead by now.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The rating is only dependent on your playtime over the last 2 weeks, I don't get it's purpose either.
It's prolly a built-in system to allow you to easily check who has been playing the gifts they've been receiv....

oh nevermind...

it's a joke, lighten up

You completely avoided what I said. No shit he talks to publishers to set prices. The problem was that even before asking Evilore, he was already talking to Publishers about providing promotional materials for OT threads. So not just sponsored threads, but using his "In" at GAF to cozy up to publishers and offer them semi-sponsored OT's they couldn't get by themselves. An offer that would benefit him in the end.

... How do you think they measure his job performance? You think they just ask him. "Oh hey Tony how do you feel you are doing at your job? Awesome you say? Well I guess we will just have to take your word for it, here's your raise"

Dot Dot Dot

Chivalry any good? How's the online community? Wish it was cheaper though.

The community is okay, nothings remarkable about it. In melees there can be some team kills, but most recognize them as accidental. You have some people who dont and try to kick you, but most kickvotes are ignored unless a clear reason is given. Every server I've played on is relatively newbie friendly. The game also has a tutorial that explains the combat, different classes etc.

As for size, you can find quite some busy servers.

Tizoc

Dunno if I wanna bother with Half Life, heck all I know about it is that it's an FPS, I know it's popular but not WHY exactly =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom