• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skyrim Dawnguard worth buying? Poor reviews on Metacritic and i'm not sure if it will really add much to an already massive game. All about those money:content proportions.

Is it a good PC port though?

I heard it was quite shit. It was by the same guys who ported DMC3 and RE4 poorly. I think it has problematic controller support

Mairu

Yeah, he was talking directly to Publishers, TO OUR BENEFIT. With the full weight of Amazon he pushed for DRM Free versions of games based on fervent GAF and CAG feedback, and we saw Publishers respond with changes to not only products sold on Amazon, but Steam versions as well. He specifically pushed for game deals directly with Publishers based on direct feedback from this community. He fixed problems that people had with orders or other various technical problems with games. But apparently that is all horrendous because there is ANY kind of profit being made or contemplated. Apparently you would rather that consumers resort to what, petitions, or email campaigns, or maybe posts on developer/publisher forums, to try to motivate changes in DRM, or fix problems with the games, or get them reduced in price somehow?

"slimy". What a ridiculous load of crap.

Tony drops prices based on prices on Steam, and other US based digital distribution hubs, due largely to USER FEEDBACK. If it is from a legitimate US digital service, he will try to price match it. OUTRAGEOUS!@# As if somehow pricematching is some kind of morally or ethically suspect practice??? That is absolutely no proof or evidence for your inane claim that he was trying to slow down "the view and post count of the thread from previous years".

Your claims are unfounded and inane. Tony was the best official rep I have seen. He was a great benefit to this community specifically because he had the power to push changes directly with his employer or with Publishers on our behalf. That it was a positive benefit to Amazon's bottom line is not in someway an inherent evil or "slimy" aspect of Amazon or Tony's activities.
/applaud
You completely avoided what I said. No shit he talks to publishers to set prices. The problem was that even before asking Evilore, he was already talking to Publishers about providing promotional materials for OT threads. So not just sponsored threads, but using his "In" at GAF to cozy up to publishers and offer them semi-sponsored OT's they couldn't get by themselves. An offer that would benefit him in the end.

This also wasn't and is not the only community he works with - a temporary ban should have sufficed :/. Considering the way a lot of the 'official' game threads look you'd think most of them already are directly sponsored by the publisher.

The only net effect from losing Tony is having to rely on someone else (Wario64) to cross post the deals and having to look elsewhere when it comes to finding answers to questions- and less direct impact from us on what goes on sale. I mean, I hope Wario64 doesn't get a job with a publisher in the industry, because he's already the main source for a lot of people when it comes to gaming deals (assuming you don't frequent CAG!)

On topic, this Steam sale has been largely disappointing for me, but there have been some good deals on games I already own. I've made a few purchases as gifts for friends, and today finally made the first purchase for myself (Half Minute Hero)

Lucifon

You can save anywhere. And I doubt it will go cheaper. Just buy it, its PC GOTY by a country mile.

Done, cheers guys. Dark Souls and Lego LOTR on Christmas eve....and 5 minutes to go until the new Steam dailys. My wallet is growing concerned.

Hoping Fallout NV Ultimate Edition goes on a daily today...

Mikor

Skyrim Dawnguard worth buying? Poor reviews on Metacritic and i'm not sure if it will really add much to an already massive game. All about those money:content proportions.

I avoided the Skyrim DLC up until the deal went up for it, but that's because I've recently gotten into modding and many mods require Dawnguard and/or Hearthfire to work. There is an unofficial Dawnguard patch, along with some tweak-type mods for it that makes the DLC more enjoyable.

Anyone think Dark Souls will go cheaper on Steam itself than the $15 Amazon DD are offering?

I enjoyed the gameplay of Demon Souls but the distance between save points meant I barely touched it. I don't have enough time to be forced to sit for hours before being able to save - is this improved in Dark Souls?

Bonfire makes it much easier as long as you can find them.

LuuKyK

You don't want to live in my Home? I like to clean and I'm a good cook. My friends love my cheesecake.

Looks like you missed my confession:

Alan Wake was a really tense game. Good, but tense. I almost had a heart attack so I stopped playing it though. Thats when I discovered I'm not really fond of survival horror games. lol Which is funny since I like to watch dumb scary movies and shit. Oh well...

/noonecares

t_t

Gintoki

Something is wrong

CE931.png

gdt

Done, cheers guys. Dark Souls and Lego LOTR on Christmas eve....and 5 minutes to go until the new Steam dailys. My wallet is growing concerned.

Hoping Fallout NV Ultimate Edition goes on a daily today...

You can not save anywhere lol.

You can suspend anywhere though!

cicero

You completely avoided what I said. No shit he talks to publishers to set prices. The problem was that even before asking Evilore, he was already talking to Publishers about providing promotional materials for OT threads. So not just sponsored threads, but using his "In" at GAF to cozy up to publishers and offer them semi-sponsored OT's they couldn't get by themselves. An offer that would benefit him in the end.
He had broached the subject about possibly doing it with Publishers and then put the idea forward here. I have read through some of those older OTs and see basically what Tony was suggesting with publisher created promotional material too. But it clearly was out of bounds, if only because it was done publicly instead of directly to evilore privately. I think a temporary ban would have been best, but this is not my forum and I am not in charge.

Hey guys,

Hope this doesn't get super ban hammered. I've been talking to some of the publishers I work with about the value of solid |OT| threads and some of them are excited about the prospect of getting those of you who create really robust |OT|s more info to do so.

We're still in the exploratory phase of setting this up but if any of you are interested let's talk about it in this thread.

Cheers,
Tony
I ignored nothing in regards to this. But this specific instance, which he was banned for, wasn't anything that was creating some kind of Amazon "storefront". For that, you condemned the entirety of his existence and activities here, which clearly were 99.9% comprised of activities not related to setting up OT threads with promotional materials directly provided by Publishers. You ignored the other more legitimately salient points that I brought up. The issue is whether or not it is reasonable or legitimate for an official rep from a digital distribution service to interact directly with a community in any regard. Your apparent position seems to conclude that ANY activity that could be construed as having ANY kind of profit motive is inherently "slimy". I disagree, and provided the examples of positive effects that having an official rep here can have.

... How do you think they measure his job performance? You think they just ask him. "Oh hey Tony how do you feel you are doing at your job? Awesome you say? Well I guess we will just have to take your word for it, here's your raise"

Dot Dot Dot
I think his job performance would be rated by the NUMBERS OF GAMES BEING SOLD, not by some arbitrary number the Amazon management is supposedly setting for reduced post and view counts for the NeoGAF Steam thread, or other threads in other gaming communities, in comparison to previous years. Come on now, that premise is just laughable. Sales drive everything, not post/view counts on various video game community threads.

Come on...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Call of Duty 1 & 2 are on sale, yes!

They're only 25 off%, shit!

I want them on Steam, but $15 is ridiculous considering how old they are.

Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine looks cool, though. Might buy that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom