• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbo

Is LotR: War in the North worth $5? I heard it's mediocre, but still might be fun for such a low price. Or should I buy Lego LotR instead?

get lego instead. ive been pleasantly surprised by it so far. this coming from someone who hates the star wars, indy ,hp lego games

Salsa

so downsampling Deadlight + 4xMSAA/4xSGSSAA yields some pretty results

ibnNq3aw2WSCa2.jpg

so far game is worth it for the presentation alone

And I hope that day never comes. They need not change what makes the game so engaging to please people who are irrelevant to the games' success. Honestly though, people like you need to get over themselves. Not everything needs to be changed to suit your narrow definition of "fun", and demanding such a thing at the detriment of others' enjoyment who actually enjoy what this series offers is a marked sign of a rather conceited individual.
They already changed it in a way that makes it perfectly fun for me and you if I read correctly. You can get off your soapbox now.

Salsa

Is Deadlight worth it?

depends on how much money you have for the rest of the sales I guess

Ive heard that it gets bad later on so my expectations are in check, but its different enough that im enjoying it for what it is

it does some cool stuff with the presentation, good lighting and some foreground stuff. It always caught my eye and ive been curious about it since day 1

its also apparently like 4 hours long if you're one of those "short games aint worth money" people

Nabs

I'm glad Mark of the Ninja seems to be doing well. This is actually a really nice top 3 (Dark Souls/ DR2 / MotN).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I want to grab War in the North, so we could co-op. It's a Steam game, right? How long will the Amazon sale last?

Koroviev

Is there a faster way to sort the Steam library other than setting the category of each game? I feel like I'm missing something incredibly obvious :\

pa22word

They already changed it in a way that makes it perfectly fun for me and you if I read correctly. You can get off your soapbox now.

No, no they did not. They added a fuck-off mode that's completely at ends with the main campaign, specifically for fucking-off in, along with some cool little side stuff to do if you want.

If that's what you wanted out of Dead Rising then you proved my point for me: you aren't the game's audience, so quit demanding the game be changed to suit your narrow definition of "fun".

Aaron

I want to grab War in the North, so we could co-op. It's a Steam game, right? How long will the Amazon sale last?
It's a really great co-op game, and a lousy single player game. If you go in playing with two people, let the AI use the elf. The AI for the dwarf and ranger is pretty bad, but the elf lady AI will actually heal you and stay mostly out of harm's way.

Echoplx

How many people does Lego LOTR co-op support? Was gonna pas on it but if it's more than 2 it would be perfect to play with my house mates..

zulux21

So, does anyone else leave add gift messages to people? For example I just gifted my friend dead rising two with the following message

zombie action rules
like beating old ladies dead
but already dead

and signed it "From Haiku"

anyone else do stuff like that?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So, does anyone else leave add gift messages to people? For example I just gifted my friend dead rising two with the following message

zombie action rules
but already dead

I told Felix Lighter to put on his tracksuit, he was hitting Vice City soon.

Gaspode_T

Only got Magical Drop and SSFIV Complete so far...I have super amount of deja vu every Steam sale now because they seem to highlight only the biggest games and then heavily focus on war and sim games to fill out the top slots.

There are 500 indie games or console style games tucked away and not getting nearly as much love as things like 4X space sim games...it has the smell of a handful of people picking what games get highlighted, I doubt publishers even have a say in it besides the publisher packs.

I like PC style games and it is awesome that they are being pushed hard but I just want to see balance...not everyone likes sims or has time to play them...(says the person who spent 30 hours playing Civ recently, but anyway...)

hlhbk

No, no they did not. They added a fuck-off mode that's completely at ends with the main campaign, specifically for fucking-off in, along with some cool little side stuff to do if you want.

If that's what you wanted out of Dead Rising then you proved my point for me: you aren't the game's audience, so quit demanding the game be changed to suit your narrow definition of "fun".

Dude could you be more of a jerk about the topic? You are acting far worse about not wanting change than the guy who you are responding to.

dot

zombie action rules
but already dead

Yeah. Sometimes i like to be fun and cute with my gift messages. My creativity with words in my messages has been lacking today, however. Just a generic "Merry Christmas" line.

baconcow

Is LotR: War in the North worth $5? I heard it's mediocre, but still might be fun for such a low price. Or should I buy Lego LotR instead?

It frequently goes $5 on GMG, and with their 20%+ coupons, it comes out cheaper. I think there are better games out there, for $5, though.

Damnit, my 2 most wanted games of this sale are only 50% off, Mark of the Ninja and Hotline Miami :( Since i won't even play them right now i might as well wait for a better sale during summer or something...

pa22word

Dude could you be more of a jerk about the topic? You are acting far worse about not wanting change than the guy who you are responding to.

Yes I could, and no I won't back down on this. I don't like RTS games, but I don't go saying the games are horrible because they don't appeal to me, either. There's literally thousands of other fish in the sea. Just because something is different and you happen to not like it for being that way in no way makes it "horrible". It's utterly disgusting to see people demand a homogenized version of something unique in order to fit their narrow views, and apparently not even realize that there are people who enjoy the series because of those unique mechanics you they are demanding be removed.

Dice

I didn't see him say the whole game is horrible, just that he thinks the timer is horrible. Timers are in other games, and he probably feels the same way on those, too. It's like hating QTEs or something. I also don't like countdown clocks. You know something that sounds fun to me? Fucking around with a ton of zombies with various challenges available, in total freedom. You know how many games are like that? None... oh, except for Dead Rising 2... except for the freedom part because of... that... clock... Oh hey, what if it wasn't there? That would be fun to me.

OOPS I'M A TERRIBLE PERSON

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damnit, my 2 most wanted games of this sale are only 50% off, Mark of the Ninja and Hotline Miami :( Since i won't even play them right now i might as well wait for a better sale during summer or something...

Summer is a long time from now...buy them, give into Gaben's wallet.

baconcow

Hotline Miami has a chance of being anywhere from free to $4.99 (with promo coupon) in January, at Amazon. Why don't you wait?

So, in the end, I didn't use my 2k or THQ coupon as everything I wanted was too expensive.

pa22word

I didn't see him say the whole game is horrible, just that he thinks the timer is horrible. Timers are in other games, and he probably feels the same way on those, too.

Except the timer is driving force of the Dead Rising games. Everything in the games are designed around the clock and how choosing to do one thing is actively choosing to potentially miss out on another. It is the crux of the games, and everything revolves around it.

It's akin to demanding the day system be removed from Majora's Mask. At the point you remove it the game is radically changed it's no longer Majora's Mask at all.

It's like hating QTEs or something.

That's a pretty bad comparison.

You know how many games are like that? None...

1. Dead Island

2. There isn't and never was anything in the Dead Rising games preventing you from doing what you just described. There's nothing forcing you to ever even start back for brad in Dead Rising 1, and in Dead Rising 2/otr the game tells you as soon as you fail a critical objective that you can either restart the game with all your attributes carried over, load a save, or fuck off and do whatever you want.

Oh hey, what if it wasn't there? That would be fun to me.

tumblr_mexpafJ5851rouyxzo1_500.gif

I didn't see him say the whole game is horrible, just that he thinks the timer is horrible. Timers are in other games, and he probably feels the same way on those, too. It's like hating QTEs or something. I also don't like countdown clocks. You know something that sounds fun to me? Fucking around with a ton of zombies with various challenges available, in total freedom. You know how many games are like that? None... oh, except for Dead Rising 2... except for the freedom part because of... that... clock... Oh hey, what if it wasn't there? That would be fun to me.

OOPS I'M A TERRIBLE PERSON
The game itself is great outside of that one issue. DR looks gorgeous, plays great and the characters are actually kinda lovable in that cheesy sort of way. I even got to the very end of DR1, but I kinda just stopped there.

Okay then

That "fuck-off" mode is enough for me regardless of whether or not it is a "change". I could actually get behind the timer if I have my "fuck off" mode to blow off some steam now and then.

Dice

Except the timer is driving force of the Dead Rising games. Everything in the games are designed around the clock and how choosing to do one thing is actively choosing to potentially miss out on another. It is the crux of the games, and everything revolves around it.
And then in Dead Rising 2 they added so much ability to fuck around that it started to be an appealing notion to an entirely different crowd of people. But the appealing elements are extremely limited by the initial design concept. If the developers themselves could recognize this, I don't see why you can't.

Coen

How bad are Tony Hawk HD's issues on PC? I've read it's all kinds of shit, but I'd love to play TH2 on PC back in the day.

pa22word

Any US Gaffer want to give me a hand and grab me a copy of the Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack? Pay you back via Paypal.

"pa22word" on Steam

And then in Dead Rising 2 they added so much ability to fuck around that it started to be an appealing notion to an entirely different crowd of people. But the appealing elements are extremely limited by the initial design concept. If the developers themselves could recognize this, I don't see why you can't.

Your ignorance would be amusing if it wasn't the crux of your argument. Once again:

2. There isn't and never was anything in the Dead Rising games preventing you from doing what you just described. There's nothing forcing you to ever even start back for brad in Dead Rising 1, and in Dead Rising 2/otr the game tells you as soon as you fail a critical objective that you can either restart the game with all your attributes carried over, load a save, or fuck off and do whatever you want.

Okay then

That "fuck-off" mode is enough for me regardless of whether or not it is a "change". I could actually get behind the timer if I have my "fuck off" mode to blow off some steam now and then.

And that's perfectly fine. All I'm saying here is that saying something is horrible and demanding it being changed is shortsighted at best and very conceited at worst when taking into account that the tension the clock gives is a large part of why quite a bit of people enjoy the series as much as they do.

Aaron

How bad are Tony Hawk HD's issues on PC? I've read it's all kinds of shit, but I'd love to play TH2 on PC back in the day.
It's a bad game that doesn't play as well as the originals. It doesn't have to do with it being on the PC. It's shit no matter where you get it. Brought to you by the same devs as Tony Hawk RIDE and SHRED.

Nabs

There's a sale overlap over at Amazon. If you have a 2k $5 coupon you can grab XCOM for 20 bucks and NBA 2k13 for 10. Both are Steam keys.

Other deals:

Desert to Sea Bundle (Bioshock 1, 2 and Spec Ops) - $4.99
Borderlands 2 - $24.99
WTF Pack (Duke Nukem Forever, Borderlands 1, The Darkness II) - $4.99
2k Shooter Pack (DNF, Bioshock 1 and 2) - $4.99

You only get to use the coupon once.

If you hurry, you're able to grab XCOM Enemy Unknown for $20 on amazon with your $5 2k credit (which you receive if you bought a 2k game this year).
Also Borderlands 2 for $25

*noobish me didnt read above post*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom