• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm not replying to multiple quotes, what's the point of deleting parts of a quote?

And if you must know, and I thought it was obvious enough, the comments are directed at all the warriors throwing about the entitlement word. It's stupid and ridiculous. And after a while, it does just look like fanboyism. Entitlement is not applicable because Valve is not giving these games away for free. They're selling them. And as such, it's up to them to earn sales. If people think they suck and aren't wow'd by them, that's capitalism and not entitlement.

And now I really am out for the day. Unless somebody selects 1 sentence to quote and goes on a rant.

I think it's easier to read what I'm replying to if it's on its own rather than bolded in text. And yes, it is entitlement if people think Steam 'owes' them the cheapest games around. They do not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Considering the Counter Strike pack since I'll get CS:GO and I can have all the stuff from Source for Garry's Mod. How is Zero Mission? I probably won't play 1.6

Condition Zero is completely unremarkable; a collection of disjointed "missions" that are really nothing more than matches against bots without the round timer.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No, those other stores can sell DD versions of their own. They just wont activate through Steam. If you want a copy that activates on Steam then you buy it through Steam. This already happens for some games, just not any Steamworks games. Valve need to leverage their advantage as DD leader. You think Amazon doesnt do things to leverage other parts of their business with publishers (guarantee to buy a certain number of disc console games in exchange for a certain price on D keys, product placement, advertising placement, etc). Why shouldnt Valve use their own leverage? As I stated, these other companies can easily undersell Steam since they dont have to worry about bandwidth costs on Steamworks titles.
Why would devs waste their time making 2 different versions of the games, one that uses Steamworks and one that doesn't? It's easier to think either all versions will use it, or none will.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wonder how many hours of CS:GO has Gaben played.

For major publishers, yes. For indies it's lower I gathered.

For those who don't know we're not talking about Humble Bundle, we're talking about Humble Payments: http://braid-game.com/ see here.
Valve is very secretive, but 30% is the number I've heard from a local indie company. Maybe it's cheaper for individuals, but I'm betting it's a pretty non-negotiable 30% give or take for everyone.

If you were able to strike a better deal with them I'm sure you'd find games like Minecraft or League of Legends on Steam, since the extra market is probably worth say a 15% cut on profits, and Valve would probably love having them on the store. The big problem would be if suddenly all your customers buy your game off Steam and you actually lose (potential) money in the process.

So yeah, I believe they are just my way or the highway on the 30% cut (sorry for the shitty saying).

mannerbot

Look at this profiteering asshole, disgusting.

I'm a fan of the part where selling a key for half of what Steam put the game on sale for is profiteering rather passing on the savings, but calling dibs on a free Skyrim key that's supposed to go to someone who doesn't have it when you already have it is a-ok.

I don't recall calling you a profiteering asshole.

And getting a reduced purchase myself isn't profiting from it. Apparently you don't know what profit means in this instance.

Also, I did not expect people to sell individual keys for $2.50, but those getting the bundle then selling Skyrim and Dishonored keys to Gaffers who couldn't checkout on GG for $20 a piece were profiteering assholes.

And if they sold them without even having the keys yet and will now lose money on the transaction, that's awesome, and brings a huge smile to my face.

I got mad at users selling them for $15-$20 each.

Also, note that I didn't take advantage of BL2 once I realized what the price of the bundle had actually been. I don't support people profiteering that way.

The Bundle clearly isn't "$2.50 per game", as some are worth more than others, but trying to get another Gaffer to essentially buy your bundle for you that way makes people jerks.

As if 15-20 dollars for those games is some kind of rip off. Lets not forget what you did with the keys I gave you that you then said you didn't want. They magically didn't work anymore 5 minutes later.

That's a loaded question. I happen to consider the game, at its core, a good amalgamation of CS 1.6 and Source. Sure, it needs work and was undoubtedly released early (where's my silencers, Valve!?), but where others believe it a failed mistake, I see it as a perfectly serviceable alternative that'll surely get better with iteration. Even in its current form, while GO falls short of 1.6, it's better than Source.

Thanks.

Whats this about deal quality?

I bought Dark Souls for half off, should I file a ticket because the price was still double digits?(HOW ABSURD! The nerve I tell you!)

First one to get banned from Steam wins!

FTL bought. Picture been sent to three of my friends, hopefully they will check out this game. Game installed. Time for my 30 minute bike ride (cardio!), defeat a boss in P3P, and then I shall try out FTL (though I should probably play X-com soon).

If you reverse the P3P and FTL, you can keep your heart rate up.

TCKaos

So what's all this business about keys? Are people just not receiving them?

I've been trying to get my ARMA II PMC key since yesterday morning, and it's just hanging on "Requesting key..."

Literally for hours. Is it always like this during a sale or should I contact Steam Support?

Petrie

Banned
Why would devs waste their time making 2 different versions of the games, one that uses Steamworks and one that doesn't? It's easier to think either all versions will use it, or none will.

Because they realize some people prefer a DRM-free version, and some want everything on Steam.

Same reason The Walking Dead just got a disk release on some platforms.

As if 15-20 dollars for those games is some kind of rip off.

Given what they paid for the bundle, yes, I do feel that's a ripoff. You're free to disagree.

They got lucky and were able to checkout when others didn't.

And the thing being ignored is I didn't say a thing to those who took their profiteering to the proper thread: The Buy/Sell/Trade thread.

So we got people on Reddit saying that GamersGate removed a game they redeemed from their Steam account.
Here is the link.
But remember this:

42Q0r.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/c..._got_an_email_from_gamersgate_stating/c7mukwm

So did I. Their site is down, but I did receive a refund for my Bethesda pack. I redeemed one game, but none of the rest. I don't know what's going to happen to my games yet.

EDIT: I redeemed Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate (the only one I did redeem on Steam) and it's gone with all my other games. I can't play it right now to make sure it still works, but it looks like it's still on my Steam account.

I'm a fan of the part where selling a key for half of what Steam put the game on sale for is profiteering rather passing on the savings, but calling dibs on a free Skyrim key that's supposed to go to someone who doesn't have it when you already have it is a-ok.

I just checked. He already has Skyrim. Pretty much speechless.

Petrie

Banned

I just checked. He already has Skyrim. Pretty much speechless.

As I told the guy, I was just trying to win a first quote contest. I've been saying so the entire thread. Hadn't even read the whole post.

Then I was informed it wasn't "first to quote", and sadness prevailed.

And if you must know, and I thought it was obvious enough, the comments are directed at all the warriors throwing about the entitlement word. It's stupid and ridiculous. And after a while, it does just look like fanboyism. Entitlement is not applicable because Valve is not giving these games away for free. They're selling them. And as such, it's up to them to earn sales. If people think they suck and aren't wow'd by them, that's capitalism and not entitlement.

I really don't get what your understanding of the word "entitlement" is. Do you only understand it in the context that Sean Hannity uses it or something?

Condition Zero is completely unremarkable; a collection of disjointed "missions" that are really nothing more than matches against bots without the round timer.

That's lame. I guess it's still cheaper to buy the bundle for Source and CS:GO though, so might as well. Thanks.

Wolfie5

I have started to look at games that I might buy at the last day of sale. Is there such a list by the way?

Dark Sector for 3€, worth it?

To the Moon 4€ - will probably buy. Looks like my kind of game.

ShaneB

For the new page :)

images

So I've created a Private Steamgift giveaway for 2 copies of FTL. The url is hidden in this post. It ends in 60 minutes at 4pm est. I'll periodically repost this.

Nabs

Some clarification, I assume what this guy means the games shows up in his library but it doesn't say play, but purchase. I have Half-Life in that state, so I'll post this as an example.
to6NK.png

Are you sure he's not just talking about his GG account?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Some clarification, I assume what this guy means the games shows up in his library but it doesn't say play, but purchase. I have Half-Life in that state, so I'll post this as an example.
to6NK.png

His post isn't exactly clear, so my inference is slightly different: that the games are gone from his GamersGate account, however Fallout:NV -- the one game he managed to redeem -- is still in his Steam library but he's AFK at the moment and can't see if it's still usable.

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom