• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.D

I received Bethesda Bundle (5/11 keys redeemed) refund email an hour ago and no refund/removal action taken yet. Received no notification regarding $11 BL2 4Pk and refund has been issued and library has been stripped (keys were never redeemed) during that same time period.

I don't know if I should be more worried or less worried right now ;p

Type2

Sleeping Dogs being $16.99 for the Flash Sale is tempting me. Any GAFers here have a good experience with that game? It looks like a Hong Kong GTA-ish sort of game with morality choices. Looks pretty fun to me.

For anyone who has purchased Sleeping Dogs, is any of the DLC worth it? It's also all on sale for just a bit under $3 total.
I dont have much time played with it but I can tell you the voice acting,story,combat and graphics(get the high res texture pack if the pc can handle it) are amazing! The only thing im not a fan of is the driving.

Caerith

I take comfort in knowing that Valve is probably just using this year's sales as market research and that the constant "retail purchase" keys being redeemed will show them that they need to stop listening to economists and bring back summer camp meta games and competitive dailies.

zkylon

zkylewd
BUY IT ON THE OFFICIAL FTL WEBSITE
This should be the OT subtitle.

I take comfort in knowing that Valve is probably just using this year's sales as market research and that the constant "retail purchase" keys being redeemed will show them that they need to stop listening to economists and bring back summer camp meta games and competitive dailies.
They only listen to psychiatrists now.

Petrie

Banned
I missed the part of the first post in this thread where it says that you can't make a profit.

Hence I didn't say you "can't", I said it belongs elsewhere and doing so here makes you an asshole.

And I'm glad such assholes who didn't even have their keys yet when selling them might now lose money. That makes me ecstatic.

I'm done with this. Hope we get some more sweet GG deals since Steams are so weak in comparison.

Isaccard

As long as they're not removing games from steam libraries it's free games for all those who were quick enough to get and redeem keys.

I sure hope so. If you bought and redeemed keys from GAF and they choose to contact Steam to have them removed, some people are screwed.

Fake Edit: Anyone doing a Natural Selection 4-pack?

Autofokus

Just to clear this up, for the people who bought a key from me today: If steam should revoke those redeemed BL2 keys, I will paypal your money back. So relax, play & have fun - I will take full responsibility.

Is there a reason why Ignite is a dollar? Is it that bad?

I was waiting for Blur to go on sale, but it doesn't look like any racing games will get to the $5 daily deal level

Hence I didn't say you "can't", I said it belongs elsewhere and doing so here makes you an asshole.

But there's nothing in this specific thread's design, rules, or concept that says this. You decided to make an arbitrary rule for this thread and have been hellbent on policing that rule despite the fact that you made it up and that nobody else gives a shit.

And I'm glad such assholes who didn't even have their keys yet when selling them might now lose money. That makes me ecstatic.

So you do admit that it is a moral issue to you, and that your objection is not entirely because this thread "wasn't made for profiteering" or whatever dumb principle you decided this thread suddenly adopted without the OP or the mods being involved.

Then I won't buy, I gotta eat also.
Cool

Some people just want to act like it is the end of the world due to price even though these games are high quality and usually cost 1/7th the price of a console retail game during Steam sales. I skipped deadlight because I heard the middle and end weren't so hot, but at least I'm not wailing over spending $2.50 more for a good game. If it hurts so bad then maybe people should rethink their priorities imo. I certainly think of mine carefully during Steam sales lol.

Why would devs waste their time making 2 different versions of the games, one that uses Steamworks and one that doesn't? It's easier to think either all versions will use it, or none will.

Again, why would Valve restrict Steamworks versions to only physical copies or copies sold through Steam? The whole idea was to create it as an industry standard and solution, now you want to restrict it in some kind of effort to "leverage their advantage as DD leader". What benefit is there to Valve to destroy or cripple their own apparent designs with Steamworks, and how does that benefit Publishers to a degree that they would agree with such a restrictive and monopolistic move that will eventually impact them?

There are already tons of games that have a steamworks and a non-steamworks versions. This isnt new.

And why would Steam do this? I would say people bitching about Steam sale prices are a good reason. Everyone loves having all of their games in a centralized Steam library. Why shouldn't Steam leverage that popularity the way other DD sites leverage thier advantages.

Madouu

It's a mess, I'd say just keep an eye on the whole affair. Don't worry too much, sooner or later they'll have to sort it out.

Overall this will generate pretty bad press for their store.

ShaneB

A reminder, open for another 30 minutes. Good luck to everyone entering.

images

So I've created a Private Steamgift giveaway for 2 copies of FTL. The url is hidden in this post. It ends at 4pm eastern.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Its my birthday, time for a little shopping spree. :)

Edit- Sucks I missed out on the Borderlands mistake.

Edit 2- How is Alice?

The plot thickens. The unused keys in the Bethesda bundle still bring up the coming in January message, though I am prepared to part with them at this point. I just received another email about the BethBund/BL2 4Pk being refunded, though the Ghost Recon refund came over instead, which was the first mention of it going away.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how many hours of CS:GO has Gaben played.

Valve is very secretive, but 30% is the number I've heard from a local indie company. Maybe it's cheaper for individuals, but I'm betting it's a pretty non-negotiable 30% give or take for everyone.

If you were able to strike a better deal with them I'm sure you'd find games like Minecraft or League of Legends on Steam, since the extra market is probably worth say a 15% cut on profits, and Valve would probably love having them on the store. The big problem would be if suddenly all your customers buy your game off Steam and you actually lose (potential) money in the process.

So yeah, I believe they are just my way or the highway on the 30% cut (sorry for the shitty saying).
I'm curious, what's the name of that Argentinian indie dev? I'd like to check out their games.

Because they realize some people prefer a DRM-free version, and some want everything on Steam.

Same reason The Walking Dead just got a disk release on some platforms.
Putting the game on Steam and also releasing a DRM free version, I get that. I'm asking about going the extra mile and implementing Steamworks, instead of making both versions exactly the same.

I didn't police it. I called them assholes for doing so. Told them if they didn't want to be called out on being assholes for doing so, then take it where that behavior doesn't make you an asshole.

You've been whining and complaining for an entire page about how people should be doing their profiteering in the buy/sell/trade thread because of whatever inane rules you arbitrarily made up for this thread. Policing, abusing, it's all the same. You're done because you're on shaky ground and are beginning to move goal posts to try and make your flawed moral high ground make sense. You can't.

Quote this post for a Cave Story+ key.

M.D

The plot thickens. The unused keys in the Bethesda bundle still bring up the coming in January message, though I am prepared to part with them at this point. I just received another email about the BethBund/BL2 4Pk being refunded, though the Ghost Recon refund came over instead, which was the first mention of it going away.

I'm hoping this is just because they have to deal with so many people who bought these games.

I'm hoping to wake up with a refund, if not, I already sent their support an email, if that won't help either I guess I'll contact PayPal, I just hope they actually help you out when things like this happen.

derExperte

Yup. We had plenty of Gaffers offering reasonable, fair prices on the stuff they didn't need from the bundle.

Then we had those trying to sell 2 games for more than the price of the bundle.

Those are the ones who belonged in the buy/sell/trade thread and not here.

I sold Skyrim for 15$ and that's not even half of the bundle prize as I'm in Europe. Bundle was 25€, 15$ are 11€ after conversion. Do you really think the only 'reasonable, fair' way would have been to sell the games so that at the end I'll get exactly what I paid for the bundle (or less if I keep some games)? The profit I'll make is minimal and it was very time consuming to get the keys I got. Also EVERY sell/trade request belongs in the dedicated thread and not only the ones you deem questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom