• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

What's with all the L.A. Noire hate?

The face mo-cap is fantastic, but the PC ver. isn't a very good port from what I read, unless you do some tweaking modding.
I think it's hate might stem from how the face mo-cap thing is wasted? The game is a mix of Point n' Click Adventure with GTA-style driving and exploring(?). Combat is pretty simplistic IIRC.

Eusis

It's pretty interesting up to the homicide part for me, but overall it was kinda boring. The game really didn't need to be open world.
It was neat to have created that, but unless you were going to go on a whole other level than most point & clicks (which it didn't) it'd be more practical to design a few sets as necessary like Telltale does and use those as necessary. Especially with the budget and development time the game ultimately had, we would've had this as a early-to-mid gen game if it weren't for that bullshit.

dreamfall

I really liked it. Make sure you get the complete version though ($7.50 is the sale price I believe) as the normal version leaves out the DLC cases...which in my opinion are among some of the best in the game.

It's also important to get the DLC because some of the dialogue/pacing feels incomplete without it.

I love the game. You have to realize that it's more of a scripted adventure game within the confines of a beautiful city. It's not an open world title- the shooting/driving mechanics feel a little wooden. The interaction with objects is really neat, and the dialogue can turn to hilarity at the press of a button. The free roam is something if you really like wandering about.

The story fails on many levels, but I enjoyed the game.

vilmer_

I've never gotten around to finishing LA Noire and shame on me considering a friend of mine was the model used for the body of Evelyn Summers :p

Nabs

The face mo-cap is fantastic, but the PC ver. isn't a very good port from what I read, unless you do some tweaking modding.
I think it's hate might stem from how the face mo-cap thing is wasted? The game is a mix of Point n' Click Adventure with GTA-style driving and exploring(?). Combat is pretty simplistic IIRC.

the pc version is alright. It's stuck at 30 (i think you can patch this) and aa options aren't so great. You can still downsample and probably run other shit on top.

Bri

Trying to add an American address so I can use Amazons superior prices. Never realized San Jose and San Fransisco was so close to each other, almost the same city? Even thought San Jose was in another state.

Oh well... Good night, sleep tight.

HoosTrax

I've never gotten around to finishing LA Noire and shame on me considering a friend of mine was the model used for the body of Evelyn Summers :p
Did you get to that part of the game that your friend was in? I'm not sure I would want to see a friend in the state that Evelyn was found in lol.

I was actually a bit taken aback by that particular scene -- it's one of the more mature scenes in the game. But I'm admittedly a prudish 'Murcan.

Nabs

I could use some GMG help as well. I'm looking to buy The Book of Unwritten Tales (less than 5 with the coupon). I could gift something on Steam for $5 or one of those 9.99 2k packs on Amazon (Spec Ops + Bioshock pack for instance). PM me if you can help.

vilmer_

Did you get to that part of the game that your friend was in? I'm not sure I would want to see a friend in the state that Evelyn was found in lol.

I was actually a bit taken aback by that particular scene -- it's one of the more mature scenes in the game. But I'm admittedly a prudish 'Murcan.

I didn't, but I have seen pictures and videos. She had a nice closeup of the face as her facebook picture for a while :lol Some of the stories she told me about working for Rockstar were pretty crazy. If she wanted to go outside of the studio for a cigarette, she would have 5 people with her and have a blanket over her head :/

Omega

Banned
is anyone else having problems viewing their profiles?

I'm trying to check my badge progress and it doesn't load. the community tab is just stuck loading

sixclaws

Banned
Anyone know how long hotline will be on sale at Amazon? I won't have access to a computer for a few days and amazon mobile doesn't support digital item purchase :(

Don't they just give you a steam key anyways?

If I recall correctly the bottom of amazon mobile should have an option to load the actual web page, which then allows you to purchase the item.

Scrabble

Treat LA Noire like an episodic weekly television series and i'm sure you'll love it. It can get pretty repetitive if you attempt to marathon through it in a couple of days.

Is communication really that important? I mean, I'm a big fan of killing floor for example, because just by not being a damn idiot and holding my own everything goes just fine. Def wouldn't take on a commander role, I'd be grunting it out and trying to help out.

Communication is essential to winning, but as a grunt, you don't have to say much beyond "OK" or "I need support".

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My issue with LA Noire is how committed you have to be for a session. You really have to settle into the mood, but then also keep a loose grip on how everything goes and experience the results of your decisions as a movie or something. Some people find it boring, but I really disagree with that. It reminds me of Shenmue in how you get absorbed with the task at hand and many details. But then I guess to be fair I can get ridiculously obsessed with thoroughly searching out an area.

Combine that Shenmue feel with the way the story often plays out and it feels very weighty, which is something that (and this is my own weird psychological thing) generally keeps me from starting up a game even if I enjoyed the time I put in. Add in the horrible aliasing for which there is no solution and it's a bit rough for me, though I often think that I should go and play it more because it's atmosphere is so compelling.

Doesn't L.A. Noire run like shit on PC?
It has a 30fps cap. There is a mod to unlock it, but then the cars handle kinda screwy. It's really not that important to the gameplay, though. I'm much more burned by the aliasing killing the beautiful environment.

Kammie

Can anyone help a steam noob? I want to buy SSF4 AE complete but is not avalible in my region, What to do?
If someone gifts it to you, you should be able to activate it. That's what I did last year.

Only thing is I think I remember reading you should set up a U.S. GFWL profile. There had been an issue where I think Dirt 2 would refuse to work if your profile was outside of the accepted zone, and you'd lose the key. Not sure if it happens with this or other games, but I did it just to be safe.

Should I wait for a Flash deal on Cave Story +, buy the HiB, or just buy it outright on Steam now?

Just realised I'm getting paid today, yay.

Edit: Wait fuck it. I've always wanted Grimrock and Indie Game the Movie too.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
actually.... you should buy the Humble Indie Bundle 7. Cave Story + is part of the bundle if you meet the average donation which is about $6.50 now. All games redeemable on steam too!

Talyn

Just stated up FTL and man is it good.
Obligatory...

ylW2S.jpg

I hope you're starting out on easy. I never had much luck with the Kestrel, I finally beat the game with the Engi ship, then the Fed cruiser, then the stealth cruiser and finally with the Kestrel.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So no one else has had any mouse lag on FTL ?

Dont quote me on it, but I faintly remember someone having issues with it. You might have luck ctrl-f'ing every page of the OT for "mouse" or "lag".

Nabs

I can buy vanilla SSF4 though. I guess that means they do have GFWL right?

Not quite. SF4 uses broken-ass gfwl keys that could be registered on any game without protection. Once they started to use actual protection (Dirt 2), they locked GFWL down to certain countries. People began to lose their Dirt 2 keys because of this, so Steam had to stop selling to those places.

Sarquiss_

Finally got FTL :D

Damage so far:
Brink Complete Pack
Dishonored
DOOM 3 BFG Edition
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® GOTY
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion® GOTY - Gave this away
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fallout 3: GOTY
Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition - Traded for The Witcher 2
Hunted: The Demon’s Forge