• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Is counter strike go that great? Did most people switch to that or are they still playing source?
CS players are different from CS:S players who are different from CS:GO players. It's a bizarre community beyond explanation. If you're a new player just go ahead and get CS:GO without worrying what people think. If you're a CS player then there is no way to possibly answer you with any sort of consensus.

Sullichin

Damnit, I missed the sale on Alice cause I never checked out. Oh well. Just got FTL based on all the feedback here. Thanks again HoosTrax for Cave Story+ !

Sanic

Does it have that same "just one more go!" appeal that Tokyo Jungle has?

I just bought it and only got to play for like 25 minutes, but I can already tell you that it does. It's distilled as a bunch of couple minute, bite sized encounters that just keep pushing you forward.

CS players are different from CS:S players who are different from CS:GO players. It's a bizarre community beyond explanation. If you're a new player just go ahead and get CS:GO without worrying what people think. If you're a CS player then there is no way to possibly answer you with any sort of consensus.

Ah, so it just splintered again? Source seemed to be the people who weren't as super anal about changes so I thought they might migrate. Regular CS (1.4?) people will probably never more from that, ever.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
But I watched let's plays of FTL and it looks dumb.

Just a few people disagreeing with you:

Love this game, it's so old school

Played a bit before work. I'm in heaven, this game is just... god it's good.

This was my reaction 2 hours in and is my reaction 40 hours later. This game is really special.

Excellent forum post for newbies:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1887

FTL is an excellent game for an excellent price and you can take that to the bank and smoke it

This game is amazing.

Somehow I've pulled myself away from the game. Can't wait to jump back in.

Need to better myself on limiting energy and missiles, I know that.

This game is fun. Really needs a shitton of different random events to stay fun for a longer period of time though.

20 game hours edit later: .. which it definitely has.

Played it for a bit now, and can definitely see the depth, and man it can be hard, lol.

Good times though, definitely a purchase with longevity, and I love the music

I love this fucking game.

this fucking game GAF. its really great

I can't really explain it. There's something about it that makes me want to play it everytime I have a spare 15mins or so. The problem is I need that 15mins to expand to an hour or two after I've jumped in to it.

I'll add my voice to the chorus. FTL is great.

I discovered the hard way that that next star won't necessarily link to the one further on.

Whoa, this came out of nowhere for me. Might end up being one of my GOTYs at this rate. I seriously had to tell myself "NO, don't start a new game" in order to stop playing. Civ 4 levels of addiction coming up.

I'm finding the game incredibly hard as well, but that's fine. I keep learning new stuff every playthrough.

Fantastic game. Difficult in the best possible way. My only wish is that your crew would auto-heal when out of combat and in no danger. It can get tedious to get them into the med bay 3 at a time and back to their specialized area.

Tenth attempt at Easy and VICTORY! What. A. Game. It's been ages since I tried something this rock hard. Good sense of accomplishment, although a lot of it was down to finding a second Blast Laser (or Burst) II for the Kestrel in the beginning. Also managed to fill up the whole crew which made surviving invasions easier (top upgrade doors to put hurt on enemies before putting my assault crew of four slugs to work on them). Still was sweating quite a lot towards the end. Intense.

Buy FTL.
(...and Grimrock...)
(...and Dungeons.)

Deadbeat

Banned
Ah, so it just splintered again? Source seemed to be the people who weren't as super anal about changes so I thought they might migrate. Regular CS (1.4?) people will probably never more from that, ever.
I cant play as_oilrig in source and go so quite frankly valve can fuck off. If you cant bring over all the old maps and game modes theres no point to keep on kidding yourself and releasing a new shittier version of counterstrike. Does GO even have spray support yet?

KuroNeeko

Just a few people disagreeing with you:

Buy FTL.
(...and Dungeons.)

Oh my, I'd been on the fence about Dungeons for a LOOOONG time, but if it has the TOMA SEAL OF APPROVAL (TOSA) then that's good enough for me.

ylW2S.jpg

Man, I love this pic. It's so true.
BUY FTL! But don't buy it now - buy it FULL PRICE! They deserve it!

Anyone play Forge? It looks good in the trailer, but I can't help but think it's a rage-inducing game.

I cant play as_oilrig in source and go so quite frankly valve can fuck off. If you cant bring over all the old maps and game modes theres no point to keep on kidding yourself and releasing a new shittier version of counterstrike. Does GO even have spray support yet?

Oilrig rocks! (In 1.6)

Kammie

Not quite. SF4 uses broken-ass gfwl keys that could be registered on any game without protection. Once they started to use actual protection (Dirt 2), they locked GFWL down to certain countries. People began to lose their Dirt 2 keys because of this, so Steam had to stop selling to those places.
Ah, so it's Steam that limits who it's sold to.

Keep in mind, like I said, though, that if you set up a U.S. GFWL account, you'll be fine. My SSFIV has never given me any issues. You're gonna have the same problem if you want to buy other stuff like Batman: Arkham City, so may as well just create the account.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh my, I'd been on the fence about Dungeons for a LOOOONG time, but if it has the TOMA SEAL OF APPROVAL (TOSA) then that's good enough for me.

lol@TOSA.

... I should totally make that a thing. :p Wish I'd have more time and money to try recent Indie games I havent tried yet.

Grimrock gets the TOSA too btw. Fantastic dungeon crawler with an infinite amount of user dungeons.

KuroNeeko

lol@TOSA.

... I should totally make that a thing. :p

Grimrock gets the TOSA too btw. Fantastic dungeon crawler with an infinite amount of user dungeons.

Yeah, I picked it up last sale;D Got sucked into Guild Wars 2 though for a few months. I'm back into playing normal games again though;D I didn't know there were so many user-generated dungeons. Damn, just when I started getting back on a healthy sleep schedule again.

Yanksfan

FTL bought. That puts me up to 4 games from the sale:

Torchlight II
Orcs Must Die 2
Hotline Miami
and now FTL

I went into the sale only really wanting to get Torchlight II and whatever steals would be out there. Since there hasn't been as many this year, I have been able to concentrate on quality. Only one I am unsure on is OMD2.

TUSR

Banned
FTL bought. That puts me up to 4 games from the sale:

Torchlight II
Orcs Must Die 2
Hotline Miami
and now FTL

I went into the sale only really wanting to get Torchlight II and whatever steals would be out there. Since there hasn't been as many this year, I have been able to concentrate on quality. Only one I am unsure on is OMD2.

Pulled the trigger on Orcs Must Die 2 and FTL.

And thanks to a generous gaf member I have Skyrim too.

Koroviev

Decided to get FTL from the official site. Looks weirdly static in videos, but I guess it will seem a lot more frantic when I'm actually playing it :p

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't know about the pace, but the graphics are very...muted? It just doesn't look like much is going on.
It's basically a simulation/management game. It's exciting for those kinds of reasons, and because it's a roguelike, but frantic doesn't really apply. It can get a bit hectic at moments during combat but it's usually just wait for weapons to charge up, aim and fire and open up airlocks so you can put down fires and whatnot.

I'm gonna buy FTL although I kind of know is not my type of game...

Also ME3 for 6€ is great (GMG + coupon). Finally I can see what's so bad about the ending...

Symphonic

Also ME3 for 6€ is great (GMG + coupon). Finally I can see what's so bad about the ending...

Don't! I have bought so many RTS games on sale just because and I fucking HATE RTSes. Don't give in man, it's not worth it.

Toma

Don't! I have bought so many RTS games on sale just because and I fucking HATE RTSes. Don't give in man, it's not worth it.

FTL is one of those games that is able to convert some people who didnt like the idea of the genre particularly before. Very much worth a try for everyone.

ta9qi

man i feel you, avoiding all the threads talking about the ending at some time was a miracle :(
me too want to buy it just for this, ME2 wasnt one of my favourite games "Hate RPG's when they took the shooter way :/)
if only it was on steam , i still ddnt download BF3 again after the format cuz i didnt even install origin :p

Reven

I have been so excited during this sale, mainly because its the first steam sale that I have actually participated in, so everyone saying that it sucks gets me even more hyped for the next sales.

I don't know, I normally avoid those games like the plague, but there's something appealing about FTL. I guess is the whole sci fi thing that is atracting me...

But you're right, I shouldn't.

man i feel you, avoiding all the threads talking about the ending at some time was a miracle :(
me too want to buy it just for this, ME2 wasnt one of my favourite games "Hate RPG's when they took the shooter way :/)
if it was in steam , i still ddnt download BF3 again after the format cuz i didnt even install origin :p

I managed to be almost spoiler free which is quite the achivement lol.

Being the key word almost. I saw a picture I should never saw but without context it dosn't matter very much.

FTL is one of those games that is able to convert some people who didnt like the idea of the genre particularly before. Very much worth a try for everyone.

Um...

I'll think about it lol.

bigace33

I guess I'm going to pull the trigger on Borderlands 2 at Greenman. With the coupon I can get it for $21. I'm wondering will it go any lower than that over the next few days anywhere.

Toma

I don't know, I normally avoid those games like the plague, but there's something appealing about FTL. I guess is the whole sci fi thing that is atracting me...

But you're right, I shouldn't.

Dont listen to him, listen to other converts who actually PLAYED the game:

I've never liked Roguelikes.

I absolutely agree. So good.

Seriously, never take advice from someone who hasnt played the game you are inquiring about. Seems like an easy enough rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom