• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamfall

Oh man. I would buy SH: Homecoming @ 75% off in a heartbeat, regardless of how many times I've beaten it. The SH games on PC in general are very good. Just sucks that there's some missing for PC.

If they released them all on PC I would buy them all and gift them on occasion.

Was it more combat oriented? Those doors are rusty!

I'd really love a 75% off that too!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Oh man. I would buy SH: Homecoming @ 75% off in a heartbeat, regardless of how many times I've beaten it. The SH games on PC in general are very good. Just sucks that there's some missing for PC.

If they released them all on PC I would buy them all and gift them on occasion.

My guess is that the developers forgot there was a sale since it wasn't discounted the very first day. It became discounted on like the third day or something. So, doubtful that it'll be 75% but I quietly pray for it.

Was it more combat oriented? Those doors are rusty!

I'd really love a 75% off that too!

It had some very basic dodging/rolling mechanics, but definitely more combat oriented than the other games. Nobody really plays SH for the combat so a lot of people felt like it was useless or unnecessary, but it didn't really impact my opinion of the game, much like how Downpour's "just there" combat didn't impact my opinion. The problem with SH having combat period is that very few people play those games for the combat at all-- so when the combat is just there, or decent, some people hate on it because it isn't deep or varied, and some people are okay with it because it's... just there and doesn't really get in the way of exploration or immersion.

That being said, I cannot figure out how Homecoming is still $40, it came out 4 years ago, and Downpour is currently half that price.

Piano

Banned
Is the Civ V GOTY worth the extra $5? Or, you know what, is the game worth it at all if I have Civ IV Complete?

I'll be getting Gods and Kings on GMG on Sunday.

My guess is that the developers forgot there was a sale since it wasn't discounted the very first day. It became discounted on like the third day or something. So, doubtful that it'll be 75% but I quietly pray for it.

It's 50% off right now, sale ends Jan. 5th.

Tame

And with the purchase of XCOM, I'm officially done with the winter sale.

So many memories, so many bargins, so little money left

PaulLFC

Holy christ these Civ5 bundles are confusing... what does the GOTY come with? Everything?
As far as I understand it, to have everything Civ V so far you need to buy:

Civ V GOTY (or the GOTY upgrade if you already have vanilla Civ V)
Korea & Ancient Wonders Pack
Civ V Gods and Kings

Get the first two on Steam / Amazon and wait a couple of days for GMG to discount Gods and Kings, will work out at £2-£3 with the 30% voucher.

Salsa

been playing Tony Hawk HD

to be honest its bearable, but it completely falls apart on the single fact that you cant rotate diagonal tricks by holding the diagonal like in the old games

it only seems to happen with tricks that involve left-down/right-down. left-up/right-up work fine. Its fucking ridiculous

like for example you know when you do a benihana and by keeping that diagonal pressed you spin it? yeah not anymore, now you have to do the trick, let go of the stick and press left or left/right trigger to spin it. Its fucking inexcusable why this happens only with the left/down variable and not left/up. Just developers being shitty as hell when it comes to controls

might seem minor but in a game like Tony Hawk its fucking crucial, its the one thing that is ruining my experience really. I can deal with the off-physics and whatnot but this is silly

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone have a picture of todays deals? The OP is slipping.
Not so good.

Edit: The prices were not updated when I captured a screen of the store. Here is a new screen capture (the old one is here):

Y4WsA.png

Soi-Fong

FTL is fucking amazing and the soundtrack is superb!!! Wish I got the edition with the soundtrack with it!

Is there any other way I can get the soundtrack?

T-Matt

to be honest its bearable, but it completely falls apart on the single fact that you cant rotate diagonal tricks by holding the diagonal like in the old games

it only seems to happen with tricks that involve left-down/right-down. left-up/right-up work fine. Its fucking ridiculous

like for example you know when you do a benihana and by keeping that diagonal pressed you spin it? yeah not anymore, now you have to do the trick, let go of the stick and press left or left/right trigger to spin it. Its fucking inexcusable why this happens only with the left/down variable and not left/up. Just developers being shitty as hell when it comes to controls

might seem minor but in a game like Tony Hawk its fucking crucial, its the one thing that is ruining my experience really. I can deal with the off-physics and whatnot but this is silly

Using the top buttons to spin was always far superior to holding the diagonals, you can do more tricks to boost your combo while keeping the rotation going. I haven't played the hd version so I don't know if it differs anyhow from spinning in th1-thug2 but if it works the same you should try spinning with top buttons as it is better.

Omega

Banned
I know already that chances that I will get dissapointed are high, but my four Shepards will see the end of the trilogy, no matter what.

I can guarantee two of them won't.

It's not even the shittastic ending, it's the fact that mid-way through your second playthrough you'll get tired of doing the same thing. and if somehow you can tolerate a game more repetitive than AC1 then
those dream sequences will make you want to choke babies
(not really a spoiler but after that ME2 thread yesterday I don't want to risk someone acting like I killed their family and demanding I get banned for spoilers)

there's no way ANYONE would possible want to sit through that more than once.

Cyrillus

How does Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion work? Is it an expansion that loads with the main game, or a separate game in my library with all the features of the original plus the new stuff? I already own and enjoy Trinity.

I was curious about this too, and seeing as no one answered I looked it up. According to the Sins webpage:
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is the upcoming standalone expansion to the franchise. It will contain all of the previous content and much more. Trinity is the currently available bundle pack of the original Sins of a Solar Empire and includes the Entrenchment and Diplomacy micro-expansions.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Wasn't there a Rotate left/right button on the old games? If I'm not mistaken, they were L1&R1 on THPS3 for PS1. Aren't those buttons available in the HD remake?

Salsa

Using the top buttons to spin was always far superior to holding the diagonals, you can do more tricks to boost your combo while keeping the rotation going. I haven't played the hd version so I don't know if it differs anyhow from spinning in th1-thug2 but if it works the same you should try spinning with top buttons as it is better.

that's the thing tho when you're playing these games since 1999 its kinda hard/not worth it to adapt to a new method, be it superior or not. When you're cashing in on nostalgia you better recreate that old experience as close as you can, this is just a different-playing game compared to my experience 12 years ago.

Wasn't there a Rotate left/right button on the old games? If I'm not mistaken, they were L1&R1 on THPS3 for PS1. Aren't those buttons available in the HD remake?

yes there are (L2/R2), I never used them, specially once you could start using revert (R2) to keep your trick out of a half-pipe in THPS3

So I asked this before in the thread but did not get a response then.
Maybe now ?

How is the pc version of Lego LOTRO?

Did hear some problems at launch but now how is it?

atomico

Managed to get to the final boss twice now. Only unlocked one new ship. How can I unlock more ships? Anyone know anything?

You unlock most ships by completing random encounters and quests. For instance, there's one encounter where you can actually talk down the enemy from fighting you, and that unlocks that race's ship (I think it's the Zoltan). The Rock people ship involves chasing and defeating some dudes across 3 sectors.

After unlocking each new ship, you get 3 ship-specific challenges/achievements. Complete 2 of them and you get different starting loadouts for that ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom