• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda Rin

1 is an interesting concept but the missions get repetitive fast. II and Brotherhood take the concept from 1 and polish it into excellent games.

Revelations is good (I am a minority in this opinion) but it really adds nothing new and takes out a few cool mechanics too.

III is arguable as bad as I.

I highly recommend II and Brotherhood.

Could you elaborate on this? Was planning on picking up AC3. Loved the hell out of Brotherhood and II.

Sibylus

Banned
Could you maybe briefly explain the differences? As Civ 4 is the last one I played.
No stacks 'o doom (one unit per tile, though a military and civilian unit can stack), hexes instead of square tiles, no cultural tile/city flipping (been a mod for changing this back in the workshop forever, however), a number of other things. I think it compares really favorably, especially in light of Gods and Kings (which built upon the combat improvements of vanilla; more hp for units and cities, great admirals, melee naval ships, more modern bombard units that crossbowmen can tech into, etc).

Bought Sins Rebellion.

I will be able to sit back and play games for an eternity before needing to buy more.

But will still pick up FE if it goes 50% or more.

Pre-load data will first need to be decrypted using a VPN. Which leads me to...

...Spotflux should work just fine (it did the last time I used it, a few weeks ago or so). Don't be fooled by your usual storefront after logging in -- clicking through to a product page should result in the US variant, and of course you should be able to decrypt the game.

Thanks JaseC!

Sblargh

Banned
No stacks 'o doom (one unit per tile, though a military and civilian unit can stack), hexes instead of square tiles, no cultural tile/city flipping (been a mod for changing this back in the workshop forever, however), a number of other things. I think it compares really favorably, especially in light of Gods and Kings (which built upon the combat improvements of vanilla; more hp for units and cities, great admirals, melee naval ships, more modern bombard units that crossbowmen can tech into, etc).

This, plus simplified schemes for happiness (one value for the entire empire and unhappiness affects all cities at once), no war fatigue, gold can be used for pretty much anything and social policies stack on top of one another instead of revolutions that change everything at once.

You can still micromanage like every civ game, but it feels a lot less necessary, which is very welcome for me.

I got killed so fast in FTL. I jumped to a location. My sensors gets jammed. I get boarded by 5 intruders. My crew tried to fend them off. They damage my weapons, O2 and engine was critical. They fought to their last breath. lol, wasn't expecting that to happen.

didamangi

Anyone played Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller Episode 1 and give their opinions about it? It's low enough on GMG that I'm willing to overlook that it uses Capsule.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Awesome.

Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion is on sale.

Been meaning to try this out, I have spent probably 100 hours or more playing Sins and Entrenchment.

Also, I will never have to install impulse/gamestop again.

kitzkozan

Apologies if this makes stuff any more complicated but, let's say you have enough in your wallet to get *either* Civ V GOTY edition or vanilla Civ V + Gods&Kings, I would recommend the latter.

Vanilla Civ V is good with a few flaws (and the GOTY additional pack stuff add more bits and pieces to that).

By comparison, I consider Civ V w/ Gods&Kings to be great with a few flaws.

EDIT: having said that, yeah, I'm not taking into consideration any sort of sly, frugal bargain-hunting angle there, just commenting on the products.

Civ V GOTY from steam or Amazon + Gods&Kings from GMG on december 30th. :p

I'm about to buy Xcom from GMG, but just need to be sure of a couple of things:

- It's a remake of the first dos game named UFO: Enemy Unkwown right?

- Seems like a lot of old school gamers are shitting on the game lol, which isn't surprising so I suppose the criticism toward the game being extremely dumbed down and diluted are blown out of proportion?

- Heard about the game being quite buggy, but it seems they are slowly patching it right?

- Would the optimal control be mouse+ keyboard or controller?

kitzkozan

I can't bring myself to buy it now knowing an inevitable GOTY version will likely exist before I'd have the chance to really dive in.

Hmm, there simply isn't enough DLC to warrant a GOTY version thus far. :p Are they even planning an expansion or future DLC for it or support it like they do for Civilization IV and V?

The reluctance from some on both FTL and X-Com are honestly depressing. I wonder if the same people who are hesitant on these happily bought AC3 or other bigger budget, far less satisfying experiences.

Symphonic

How is the lego LOTR game? The videos of the other Lego games I've seen look pretty boring with fixed camera angles and gameplay that is mostly collect-a-thons.

Definitely a collect-a-thon, but on of the best I've played. If love LOTR it's worth it for the fan service alone.

Tame

giving away a couple of codes for games i already have from the Humble Bundles (open for 15 min window)

Cave Story + Congrtas to Baust
The Binding of Isaac +DLC Congrats to rouken

I also have a code for Titan Quest but i'm not sure if its been used, I'll post the code as a free for all (to the person that gets it - can you let me know that you got it so that i can edit this post please)

Titan Quest - IQM3N-8ZILJ-DMVWQ Congrats to ShineALight

Derrick01

Banned
The reluctance from some on both FTL and X-Com are honestly depressing. I wonder if the same people who are hesitant on these happily bought AC3 or other bigger budget, far less satisfying experiences.

Not a fan of games like FTL. Xcom was pretty good though, even if it wasn't as good as the original.

Kabouter

I love FTL, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to everyone who purchases Assassin's Creed.

I don't like strategy games and tend to be disappointed by GAF hype games which is also why I haven't bought Hotline Miami-- as soon as I saw it described as a "killing simulator" I rolled my eyes. I've also seen many people say "if you liked Drive you absolutely MUST play Hotline Miami" but I thought Drive was a plotless, over stylish piece of shit so that didn't work for me either.

I would like X-COM, but I'm not paying that kind of money for it, and I've been incredibly hesitant on buying AC3 due to how buggy and sloppy it seems to be. However, I have greatly enjoyed all the AC games up to this point, Revelations and AC1 to a lesser extent, but I would definitely buy AC3 over FTL just because of the fact that I've enjoyed the other AC games a lot and I don't enjoy games like FTL at all.

Look, I'm with you about overblown big budget games getting more attention and money than smaller games that are probably just as enjoyable if not more, but I'm simply not convinced that I would like FTL, and I've really liked the AC series up to this point. I'm not buying anything though right now because I have $18 in Steam credit left and that's less than what AC3 is.

giving away a couple of codes for games i already have from the Humble Bundles (open for 15 min window)

The Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb DLC

and

Cave Story+

PM me which one you want. First come first served.

I also have a code for Titan Quest but i'm not sure if its been used, I'll post the code as a free for all (to the person that gets it - can you let me know that you got it so that i can edit this post please)

Titan Quest - IQM3N-8ZILJ-DMVWQ

Took the Titan Quest code. Thanks! I played the game quite a bit years ago, but I bought discs at retail which I've since lost. I always wanted to get it again but had a hard time justifying another purchase, so this is very appreciated.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's just that I think I've spent enough on this sale. 60 bucks so far, if I'm not mistaken.

And to be quite honest, I'm not sure I'll even enjoy the game (talking about FTL here). I'd rather not take risks, and wait for other games that interest me more. I could always get it on the next sale.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How long does it take Valve to get back to you? I think I need a refund on Driver, since I don't get any picture on my HDTV. Apparently, I could fix it by changing a file, but I can't seem to track it down.

dani_dc

I am 45 cents short of the Civ V GOTY editon.. ugh fml.

Should i just grab the vanilla version?

There's an upgrade for GOTY that you can buy for $20 ($5 with 75% sale such as now), so if you pick Civ V now for $7.49 and the upgrade for $5 next time it's on sale you'll pay the exact same as if you bought GOTY today.
If you're intereted in Civ V I say just go for it, you get to play the game until you get to grab the upgrade to GOTY, and from what I understand the extra stuff isn't essencial to enjoy the game.

Salsa

How long does it take Valve to get back to you? I think I need a refund on Driver, since I don't get any picture on my HDTV. Apparently, I could fix it by changing a file, but I can't seem to track it down.

look for that fix because they're not giving you a refund

Guri

Quick, guys:

Spec Ops, yes or no?

I like great stories, and it appears this game has one, but overall, the game is that great?

Well they're certainly not games for everyone.

Sure, and hey whatever floats one's boat I'm all for. Spend your money however you like. I guess it's just a bummer that some games are bought 7 million times and yet experiences outside the pure action/shooter norm are looked at suspiciously. I don't like the hype some games get because of a quick look or some weird GAF anomaly, but X-Com and FTL are worth playing. Oh well, que sera sera.

Tame

Took the Titan Quest code. Thanks! I played the game quite a bit years ago, but I bought discs at retail which I've since lost. I always wanted to get it again but had a hard time justifying another purchase, so this is very appreciated.

No probs buddy, thats for letting me know. Glad it was still valid

Addnan

I PM'd the winner. 36 entries, bottom was number 1 top 36.

7zGTY.png

Volcynika

:lol

So true. Even when a game has recognized issues and is universally trashed as broken, you're gonna get a form reply about drivers and such. It's liking talking to a wall.

They seem to be more open to refunds on issues of misleading consumers and such (that zombie game (WarZ?) and From Dust not listing the DRM it had). But if it's an issue with your machine, you're probably SOL for the most part.

gilljoy

Spec Ops for five quid before vouchers? That's probably be my bite point. Might pick up £7.50 Crusader Kings 2 as well.

Same here for Spec ops. £5 before vouchers is brilliant
Civ 5 Gods and kings will also be £3 come sunday so thats getting picked up too

Edit: does anyone know the cheapest place for torchlight 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom