• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Please, please, please for the love of what ever your false idol may worship to be buy Bastion as it's a game that deserved to be discovered.

Anybody played binary domain with KB&M? The icons ingame I don't even recognize wtf are they!

**I guess it meant middle click....lol

I think regardless what ever you bind them to that the always show the default keys. Saying that this is one of the better 3rd person shooter best played with a 360 pad.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I've got $5 steambux left and no idea what to spend them on.

My purchases so far:
0rh0Y.png

What should I blow my last $5 on?

So I have tons of things to play in my backlog, a bunch of games I am really looking forward to playing that I got for Christmas - but the GMG XCOM sale was simply too good to pass up.

So what is the best way to play XCOM? I'd heard mixed things honestly, which is kind of surprising. I would have assumed KB+M was the way to go given Firaxis' pedigree and the series heritage, but I seem to remember hearing/reading several people saying they preferred the controller support even on a PC.

I'd like to see Bully Scholarship Edition get a throw-down, rock'em sock'em 75% discount.
I loved it on PS2 and would really like to play it in high resolution.

Caerith

Bitch plz, at least you can upgrade your Civ5 to GOTY, this is not possible with Batman AC and the DLCs are also removed from store each time the game goes on sale. THAT's how you fuck people over :(
But yeah, this DLC shit is driving me crazy, making me hesitant to get most games early.
I put in a ticket regarding the Arkham City DLC bullshit. No response yet.

HoosTrax

No graphical options to speak of and, more importantly, stuttering issues out the ass for lots of people that Square/Nixxes were still patching to fix until May of this year and how effective said patches were is still dubious.

Hell, I may not like Dark Souls, but at least I can claim the game runs on my computer.
I did indeed run into microstutter in that game, but I don't see how you can claim it has no graphical options unless you didn't know to click the "Advanced" button in the Video section of options.

1-D_FTW

No graphical options to speak of and, more importantly, stuttering issues out the ass for lots of people that Square/Nixxes were still patching to fix until May of this year and how effective said patches were is still dubious.

Hell, I may not like Dark Souls, but at least I can claim the game runs on my computer.

That's a good point. Darksiders II was a much better port in that case. DSII >>>>> DE:HR.

Nah, Derick, you don't need to quote this. You know I'm just playing... About the last part.

x3r0123

It's a terrible game with a sweet story littered with embarrassingly nerdy references. Also, Laura Shigihara <3

It's like the Walking Dead in that it's an adventure game that's light on puzzles and heavy on story telling, but the gameplay elements are more frequent and way worse.

I think that may be taking it too far, and not in the spirit of FTL. The scarcity and utility of crew members is enough to give them importance, all I want is the simple notification.

so apart from story, gameplay wise is shit?

Dr Dogg

I've got $5 steambux left and no idea what to spend them on.

My purchases so far:
0rh0Y.png

What should I blow my last $5 on?

Morrowwind without question. Although the Steam sale's do go on until the 5th, so it's risk reward time, especially due to much better competitor deals. I think we're all in a similar boat this year.

I just watched the first 5 or 6 minutes of TotalBiscuit's WTF Is FTL, and I must admit I'm not impressed. The game doesn't look half bad, but if that's all there is to it, I think I'd get bored pretty fast. All I saw was battle after battle, and nothing more. Maybe it gets different later on, maybe I should have watched the whole video, but so far my interest is gone.
Fair enough. You probably don't deserve to play FTL then.

Nabs

I just watched the first 5 or 6 minutes of TotalBiscuit's WTF Is FTL, and I must admit I'm not impressed. The game doesn't look half bad, but if that's all there is to it, I think I'd get bored pretty fast. All I saw was battle after battle, and nothing more. Maybe it gets different later on, maybe I should have watched the whole video, but so far my interest is gone.

I haven't played the game yet, but the last thing I would do is watch a WTF of it.

I put in a ticket regarding the Arkham City DLC bullshit. No response yet.

Well you gotta let us know how that went, they're really being a bastard about this game.
Was close to buying the GOTY a few times since it have been so darn cheap, but I refuse supporting such disgraceful actions.

Prelithe

Eh? HR ran perfect when it came out. It's one of the few games I can run in DX11 without tanking my FPS.

A lot of people had persistent stuttering issues, regardless of graphical settings. It certainly wasn't a great PC port by any means. I thank Boris for a half decent fix for the stuttering.

Fireblend

Banned
Damage so far:

Steam:
* Critter Crunch $1.70 (seriously, get this, people)

GMG:
* Sleeping Dogs $11.90
* XCOM: Enemy Unknown $11.50

Gifts:
* Castle Crashers
* QUBE

Only waiting for Torchlight 2 now.

masterkajo

Damage so far:

Steam:
* Critter Crunch $1.70 (seriously, get this, people)

GMG:
* Sleeping Dogs $11.90
* XCOM: Enemy Unknown $11.50

Gifts:
* Castle Crashers

Only waiting for Torchlight 2 now.

I did get Critter Crunch. I really like it.
IIRC, wasn't there a post somewhere where you get a second copy if you buy it during the Winter Sale? Could use a second for my brother to play coop.

Fireblend

Banned
I did get Critter Crunch. I really like it.
IIRC, wasn't there a post somewhere where you get a second copy if you buy it during the Winter Sale? Could use a second for my brother to play coop.

Yep, message Cromulent_Word for your extra code. I did (after I had already purchased a copy for me and one for my gf) and he gave me one I gave my brother on Christmas :)

Torchlight 2 is $10 at GamersGate if thats cool for you.

That's paypal only though, no? No paypal love for us Costa Ricans =/ (without going through some hoops, at least).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played the game yet, but the last thing I would do is watch a WTF of it.
Well, what other options do I have? I've listened to some GAFfers' opinions and watched that video. Maybe read some reviews? Belonging to a genre I don't usually like, I can't tell if I'll enjoy the game without trying a demo, which the game doesn't have, so it's not like I could do much else.

Grabbed Civ V GOTY upgrade. I had already purchased one of the DLCs previously, but meh. Just waiting on the GMG deal for Gods & Kings and I should have the "complete" version of that, at least for the time being.

After that, I'm probably done except for some Dota 2 cosmetics/keys unless some really juicy deal pops up. Only other thing I grabbed was FTL.

May have grabbed AC: Brotherhood, but I know it wouldn't run that well on my laptop and it'll be that price again, so I can hold off until I build my gaming PC.

Yep, message Cromulent_Word for your extra code. I did (after I had already purchased a copy for me and one for my gf) and he gave me one I gave my brother on Christmas :)

That's paypal only though, no? No paypal love for us Costa Ricans =/ (without going through some hoops, at least).

I can help you get torchlight II on Gamesgate. Add me on Steam. Link in my profile.

Noaloha

The Idle Thumbs Saturday Morning Videogames Magazine Show offers a better sell on FTL I feel. The game's sorta samey after a while, sure, but it's because it's a systematic game where the intent is for you to fumble with ship-management micro versus exterior situation micro and manage resources around that. You're supposed to get into trouble and, if you're in trouble, you're usually just a few poor or unlucky choices away from perishing in space. It's not nice out there!

Regarding XCOM, I'd like every new purchaser to ask themself whether they're a player who plays games for satisfaction that leads to progression or if they play for punishment that leads to satisfaction. Or, another way of putting it, respectively: as a videogamer, are you dom or sub? Base your Normal vs Classic decision on this, please, again respectively.

And regardless of your difficulty level, at least consider trying Ironman mode, even if it seems scary as fuck. Especially if it feels scary as fuck. It's, in a few rather interesting ways, an entirely different experience.

1-D_FTW

Starting Lego:LotR for the first time was a shockingly pleasant experience. Not a single thing needed to be installed. And then when you get to the menu, no Live:)

Reven

So GAF I begrudgingly bought FTL last night due to all your praise thinking I wouldn't like it but after playing it for like an hour today I can say it us amazing. I was almost late to work because I was so engrossed with the game.

coopolon

Eh? HR ran perfect when it came out. It's one of the few games I can run in DX11 without tanking my FPS.

What? Their loading was linked to the FPS. So if you had vsync or triple buffering enabled (capping the FPS of the loading screen at 60fps), the loads took forever. Like minutes for some people with perfectly acceptable rigs although that was the extreme end of it. But still, 30-45 seconds is pretty bad too.

This was especially egregious in a stealth game where if you are trying to master the stealth mechanics you might end up loading a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom