• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
What? Their loading screens were linked to the FPS. So if you had vsync or triple buffering enabled, the loads took forever. Like minutes for some people with perfectly acceptable rigs although that was the extreme end of it. But still, 30-45 seconds is pretty bad too.

People in this day and age still don't use d3doverrider?

Noaloha

So GAF I begrudgingly bought FTL last night due to all your praise thinking I wouldn't like it but after playing it for like an hour today I can say it us amazing. I was almost late to work because I was so engrossed with the game.

Here's a few ship gameplay mechanics.
Here's a few environmental gameplay mechanics.
Here's a few resource management gameplay mechanics.

We wrapped it all up in a sweet sci-fi, immediately adoptable scenario.

Look: emergence!

coopolon

Yep, they use it to enable triple buffering, which caps the fps at 60, which in Deus Ex HR meant loading took forever.

Edit: I'm trying to find the original threads about the issue but am only finding the news posts on the patch that fixed it.

Edit 2: Here's the thread I was active in at the eidosgames forums about the load times.

It wasn't just that. The stuttering made the game look like it was running at 5 fps at times (even though it was 60). There were eventually solutions like running in hidden windowed mode, but many people, myself included, played a game that looked nowhere as smooth as it should have thanks to the stuttering issue.

Oh yah, I completely forgot about this since I never had it, but I remember when trying to fix the loading problem a lot of people were also having real stuttering problems.

1-D_FTW

It wasn't just that. The stuttering made the game look like it was running at 5 fps at times (even though it was 60). There were eventually solutions like running in hidden windowed mode, but many people, myself included, played a game that looked nowhere as smooth as it should have thanks to the stuttering issue.

Jedi2016

(Re: DX:HR) A lot of people had persistent stuttering issues, regardless of graphical settings. It certainly wasn't a great PC port by any means. I thank Boris for a half decent fix for the stuttering.
There was a patch on day.. three, I think it was, that fixed the issue for me. Something to do with NVidia rendering. Been smooth as silk since.

Anyone want in on a Worms Revolution 4-pack?

I'm buying from EU Tier 2 so it's only 3,8725€ each. I only need 1 more person that can transfer me the money through paypal.

Nabs

Well, what other options do I have? I've listened to some GAFfers' opinions and watched that video. Maybe read some reviews? Belonging to a genre I don't usually like, I can't tell if I'll enjoy the game without trying a demo, which the game doesn't have, so it's not like I could do much else.

Watch something else. Anything else. Find a video of a dog playing FTL if you can. Going by a WTF or QL is usually asking for trouble.

In Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package, will all those individual packs fill up my library or will they be inside the game? (they don't have the DLC tag :S )

Fireblend

Banned
Huge thanks to Cloudius12 for helping me get Torchlight II for me and my brother from GamersGate. You're the kind of people that make GAF awesome :D

chixdiggit

So GAF I begrudgingly bought FTL last night due to all your praise thinking I wouldn't like it but after playing it for like an hour today I can say it us amazing. I was almost late to work because I was so engrossed with the game.

I bought FTL but have yet to try it. But that's exactly how Dungeons of Dredmore (another rouge like) was for me. Speaking of... it's cheap and everyone should buy it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I know this is a long shot, but would anyone care to gift me a copy of Magical Drop V ($4.99) in exchange for a Magic 2012 Gold Edition Bundle (also $4.99)? I had Magic gifted to me, and it WAS on my wishlist, but it really shouldn't have been there, and I'm likely not going to play it (I honestly realized today that I'm just tired of Magic for the time being). Like I said, I know it's a long shot, but if anyone could help that'd be great. :D

Sober

So is Civ V GOTY worth the extra $5? I'm going to pick up Gods & Kings from GMG on Sunday regardless.
The GOTY literally nets you like 95% of all the DLC they released between release and G&K, so for 5 bucks yeah, that's a pretty good deal.

edit: this is all you are missing at the end of Civ5 GOTY + G&K, http://store.steampowered.com/sub/11092/

edit the second: since the "upgrade to GOTY" option exists now (and for 5$), if you really want to save the 5$ and see how it is, you could just sit on it until next time it goes on sale after you've had your fill and you want to add some more civs and stuff to the game.

Sober

Right, but is that DLC any good?
The Civs are generally good, as some come with some scenarios as well. At the very least that means more variety when you play a game. Explorer's Map Pack iirc comes with better map generation algorithms or whatever for some of the base random map types and the others are just hand-crafted maps, which might only be fun once or twice. Honestly, it's probably easier to just throw 5$ at it rather than cherry-picking, which is easily worth more than 5$ - which is what I did before they introduced the upgrade to GOTY.

I would have really liked an Assassins Creed Bundle. Maybe it will be a daily, beings thats the way things are going.

Edit: I see now that there is a franchise pack.

Grief.exe

I would have really liked an Assassins Creed Bundle. Maybe it will be a daily, beings thats the way things are going.

I can only play assassins creed once every few years.

Game is just so incredibly streamlined, combat especially so.

I just got done with the second one and there were parts of it that were just ridiculous. Ezio needs to kill this guy, but first you need to kill 12 guards throughout the city. What were they thinking?

I know this is a long shot, but would anyone care to gift me a copy of Magical Drop V ($4.99) in exchange for a Magic 2012 Gold Edition Bundle (also $4.99)? I had Magic gifted to me, and it WAS on my wishlist, but it really shouldn't have been there, and I'm likely not going to play it (I honestly realized today that I'm just tired of Magic for the time being). Like I said, I know it's a long shot, but if anyone could help that'd be great. :D

I'd really like your Magic 2012, but don't have Magical Drop. Is there anything else you were looking for? I believe I have some unused keys from the humble bundles.

Sober

Well better than a $4 savings. Of which you could save almost twice that by not buying the Rev DLC.

Edit: I should mention that I already have the whole series on PS3. I want the PC versions so I can enjoy them once again at a better frame-rate.
Yeah if you've played through em all then I guess wait til next year when it might be cheaper (though I doubt by too much). I haven't played 3 and I only actually own AC1 so it might be a better deal over here...

Yeah if you've played through em all then I guess wait til next year when it might be cheaper (though I doubt by too much). I haven't played 3 and I only actually own AC1 so it might be a better deal over here...

Get AC2 at least, it is probably the best one next to Brotherhood.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'd really like your Magic 2012, but don't have Magical Drop. Is there anything else you were looking for? I believe I have some unused keys from the humble bundles.

Unfortunately no, there's not much else I'm looking for. I've got most of what's been offered in the Humble Bundles. I guess maybe Lone Survivor, if you have that? Have had that one on my wishlist for a while.

JLG-

The update to GOTY costs $20, or $5 when 75% discounted. So buying the GOTY version now or Vanilla+GOTY Upgrade (when discounted) later should cost you the same thing.

Yeah i know. I think i might cave and just add $5 more to my wallet and just get the upgrade now.

30 minutes left.. omg omg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom