• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Damn it, at that price spec ops forced my hand :(. Alright, three more expected purchases: God and Kings @ gmg tomrrow, secret world and exceed collection...

Secret World will be 17.99 on Amazon in January. If you bought anything digital from Amazon recently, you probably have a 5 buck discount that will work on top of that, making it 12.99.

feel

Is Alpha Protocol good or was that just one guy praising it in every random thread a while back? Seems to have terrible combat/animations, but maybe other elements make up for it?

Row

Banned
Is Alpha Protocol good or was that just one guy praising it in every random thread a while back? Seems to have terrible combat/animations, but maybe other elements make up for it?

that seems to be the gist of it, with the story and dialogue system supposed to be really good

thinking about picking it up myself

It's a 'cult' favourite. Some love it, some hate it.

It's decent enough, and if it's $5 or under you're getting it at a steal really. Great ideas, with some solid follow through for the most part. Just sort of loses itself as the game progresses.

Torraz

Secret World will be 17.99 on Amazon in January. If you bought anything digital from Amazon recently, you probably have a 5 buck discount that will work on top of that, making it 12.99.

Thanks for the info, but the devs are offering some bonus content (that I think would be worth more than that) if one buys to game before the end of the year.

mr_toa

It's very good - a little rough around the edges, but at that price a much recommended pickup!

God damn it. I remember a few scenes from Spec Ops... i dont remember the story anymore but i remember the huge twist. Will i enjoy the game even after remembering what happened at the end and the twist? (watched them on Youtube after hearing about them)

Derrick01

Banned
Alpha Protocol is hands down one of the top 5 RPGs of the generation. If you don't buy it for $2.50 you shouldn't have money because you make poor choices with it.

zerokoolpsx said:
Is it like a poor man's Mass Effect?

AP is the game Mass Effect wishes it was. They pulled off the three dialog option thing better than Bioware could ever do. I mean we're talking about the kings of the wrpg with Obsidian. Don't underestimate their superiority over Bioware and Bethesda.

Hmm.. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2696

was considering getting that Sherlock game on the flash sales but then I found this bundle of 6 of their other games and it seemed like a MUCH better value while I wait for Testament to get cheaper. has anyone played these?
I've played Nemesis and Jack the Ripper. They were both fun enough, with some genuinely taxing puzzles, but it's a bumpy ride in terms of presentation, polish, etc. Jack the Ripper was the better of the two because it had the lore and mood of London to work with. If you like adventure games and are willing to put up with some bullshit to play them, they're worth it.

Edit: Nevermind, I think if I were going to get anything I'd get Trinity for now and pick up Rebellion after having played that one for awhile.

Seemingly Trinity and Rebellion are the exact same game, but Rebellion has a few extra missions/features (basically they're charging you again). It's a standalone expansion.

Hmm.. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2696

was considering getting that Sherlock game on the flash sales but then I found this bundle of 6 of their other games and it seemed like a MUCH better value while I wait for Testament to get cheaper. has anyone played these?

Dunder kindly gifted me Mystery of the Mummy when he discovered the same bundle. I gave it a quick 10 minute blast. I was convinced the game was made in the mid-90s, given how crazy the graphics were and the bad sound recording. Seemingly it was made/released 2002!!!

They're not terrible games by any means, but they leave the impression they were released a decade too late. No Steam Overlay, and Alt+Tab will crash the game.

feel

Thanks for the AP posts, picked it up, $2.62 is a great price. Seems like one of those flawed games that could really click with me, I really like espionage and gadgets.

coopolon

Seemingly Trinity and Rebellion are the exact same game, but Rebellion has a few extra missions/features (basically they're charging you again). It's a standalone expansion.

Oh, Rebellion has Entrenchment and Diplomacy?

Edit: According to this FAQ it does have all the previous content, so

Are people interested in a Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion 4 pack?

yes, I am interested in the 4 pack!

Isaccard

Alpha Protocol is hands down one of the top 5 RPGs of the generation. If you don't buy it for $2.50 you shouldn't have money because you make poor choices with it.

AP is the game Mass Effect wishes it was. They pulled off the three dialog option thing better than Bioware could ever do. I mean we're talking about the kings of the wrpg with Obsidian. Don't underestimate their superiority over Bioware and Bethesda.

1) Tells people not to support Dark Souls because it's not a good port
2) Tells people to buy Alpha Protocol a horribly half baked game

wat

I love you.

Derrick01

Banned
1) Tells people not to support Dark Souls because it's not a good port
2) Tells people to buy Alpha Protocol a horribly half baked game

wat

Dark Souls is an embarrassingly bad port on the level of Saints Row 2 PC. It was made by developers who have no knowledge of the PC platform and apparently they don't care to have any. Capped resolution and GFWL is nothing less than insulting.

AP is a super ambitious RPG that does have janky combat but if that's all you care about then go play uncharted or the billion other boring third person shooters. The writing, story and choices more than make up for the combat.

Durante

The choice and dialogue is done well but the game itself is a stinker. For 2.62 the only thing you should be worried about wasting is your time.
Ignore this man he is completely wrong.

Compared to Alpha Protocol, most games released this gen will seem like a waste of time. It's easily one of the top 5 RPGs released in the past 5 years.

Necrovex

What's the verdict on the first Transformer game?

Also, Alpha Protocol is bloody amazing. I feel really bad that I forgot about it when I voted in the essential RPG thread. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom