• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I find it sad how this thread is more about Gamersgate, GMG and Amazon deals rather than Steam deals.

The end of an era?

There's no Origin Deals talk in here for a reason.

Everything discussed here is redeemable on Steam. Doesn't really matter where it comes from.

1-D_FTW

There's no Origin Deals talk in here for a reason.

Everything discussed here is redeemable on Steam. Doesn't really matter where it comes from.

Well, there's the occasional Kingdom of Amalur talk. But that's only because some of us are desperate enough to avoid paying 60 dollars, that we'll contemplate the worst.

In other news, Dark Souls is on top of the best seller list again, while still being more expensive than on Amazon. Namco should be more than motivated to spend a bit more on the PC version the second time around.

Seeing as they announced Dark Souls 2 for PC from the beginning, I'm betting that your services will not be needed next time round :)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
why is their so many repeats..... theirs hundreds of games that havent had a proper sale yet they repeat the same shit over and over. just like summer and autumn sale

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
why is their so many repeats..... theirs hundreds of games that havent had a proper sale yet they repeat the same shit over and over. just like summer and autumn sale

Yeah, same crap in dailies, flash & votes. It's stupid.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does Valve choose what goes on sale or do the publishers?

The latter. I assume how it works in regard to regularly rotating deals such as the Flash Sales and Community's Choice is that Valve approaches publishers and asks which games they'd like to add to the pool.

Jedi2016

Does Valve choose what goes on sale or do the publishers?
I'm assuming that Valve at least has some control over the timing of the sales.

It's like the candy rack at the checkout lane at the grocery store. They're teasing us along with the possibility of other games that we want, and throwing a bunch of other crap at us in the meantime hoping we'll pick some of it up.

DagsJT

Yep. So many games in my wishlist haven't been on any extra sale discount yet they keep repeating the same sales for the same games. Pretty rubbish so far, really dampens excitement for the next round when most of the time it's a recycled deal.

DaBuddaDa

Well, if the publishers, not Valve, choose what goes on sale that would clearly explain why there are hundreds of games sitting out there that never go on sale.

The latter. I assume how it works in regard to regularly rotating deals such as the Flash Sales and Community's Choice is that Valve approaches publishers and asks which games they'd like to add to the pool.
So maybe it's like netflix- steam got too big for its own good. Especially since these publishers have their own DD sites now. Valve should jump into the console market and also become a publisher!

Deques

Yeah, same crap in dailies, flash & votes. It's stupid.

Did I make this meme correct?
32614328.jpg

Has Rage been on sale yet? Can only afford one game this sale.

Either Rage or Borderlands one.

But then maybe I might just buy Just Cause 2.

Decisions, decisions. So hard to pick just one!

DagsJT

I thought Steam kept LA Noire up to date? Just launched the game and it wants me to do a manual update.

Edit: Seems it was just some Social Club update which it grabbed itself anyway.

Brilliant, can't even get to the game. Splash screen comes up, then encounters an error and closes.

MNC

Has Rage been on sale yet? Can only afford one game this sale.

Either Rage or Borderlands one.

But then maybe I might just buy Just Cause 2.

Decisions, decisions. So hard to pick just one!

You're gonna have the most fun in Just Cause 2, by faaaaaaaaar.

X3 is a good game/simulator. It's a huge time sink too, so you'll only get back what you put into it (which I think is fair warning).

Can you elaborate a bit more? I'm thinking of picking up either the Gold Box or the Super Box.

Are the older gamex (X, X2) still worth it, or am I good with X3?

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Cladun and Bit.Trip series pls Gabe

Already $50 down and those are the things I decided I'd limit myself too

Why am I so bad at this ;_;

Artofwar420

For new page:

Everyone needs to play Frog Fractions. It will blow your mind. Don't be fooled by its faux-educational game appearance, stick with it. It's downright bananas; it will take you on a surreal trip you'll be hard-pressed to forget.

Just click on the link in your flash-capable browser of choice, and play what I consider one of my top 10 games experiences of the year.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I knew it. X3. The day after my FTL bet. It's because Gabe is watching us. He must like FTL.

Omega

Banned
wait, how is the Sonic bundle normally $131?

It's 5 games with Generations being the only one that was priced above $20 even at launch.

Derrick01

Banned
Well, if the publishers, not Valve, choose what goes on sale that would clearly explain why there are hundreds of games sitting out there that never go on sale.

If publishers choose the deals then why was lego lord of the rings $7.50 on amazon and $20 on steam? Are they purposely undermining Steam in hopes that somewhere down the road they'll start to fail from not getting money? (They don't make any money when a game is bought somewhere out of Steam and registered).

Or is Steam simply slacking in the negotiation department? Tony from Amazon fights pretty hard to get better deals and better customer service. Maybe Steam feels like they don't have to fight as hard due to being the top dog. Not to mention they're putting a lot of focus into adding more features on Steam and possibly even working on some kind of steambox.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If publishers choose the deals then why was lego lord of the rings $7.50 on amazon and $20 on steam? Are they purposely undermining Steam in hopes that somewhere down the road they'll start to fail from not getting money? (They don't make any money when a game is bought somewhere out of Steam and registered).

Because:

I've said something similar before, that Amazon, GMG, and Mr. Mistake over at GG need to push for the deeper discounts being relatively new players, but publishers can get away with more modest prices on Steam because of the sheer size of its active userbase. You could argue that Valve should be pushing for deeper discounts, but when its own sales data suggests to publishers that this isn't necessary, they're not exactly inclined to listen.

Just look at Dark Souls shooting up to #1 on the Top Sellers list (which is sorted by revenue) despite being cheaper on Amazon. The comparably lacklustre sales on Steam is a classic example of something being a "victim" of its own success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom