• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsen

I live in Sweden and some shows up in $ instead of € like in Steam and some shows up in £. Seems quite random.

If it shows up in dollars though that's what it will sell as right?

EA Games are always sold in £ on GMG for us, other games in $. Haven't seen € myself.

feel

Dark Souls is an embarrassingly bad port on the level of Saints Row 2 PC. It was made by developers who have no knowledge of the PC platform and apparently they don't care to have any. Capped resolution and GFWL is nothing less than insulting.

AP is a super ambitious RPG that does have janky combat but if that's all you care about then go play uncharted or the billion other boring third person shooters. The writing, story and choices more than make up for the combat.
In the case of Dark Souls, it being one of the few truly good games in many years and one that actually respects the player makes up for the shitty port and the need to spend a few minutes fixing it. I very much support the stance of not supporting shitty efforts on PC porting, but damn Dark Souls shouldn't be missed by anyone, it's that good (and in the end, GFWL is not intrusive in it imo and the game looks fantastic at 60fps downsampled).

No, it's way better in some aspects, way worse in others.

In my opinion it's better than Mass Effect.

In some ways yes, the games structures are similar - Alpha Protocol reacts to your decisions in a way that shapes the story to a much greater degree than the Mass Effect series though.
The choice and dialogue is done well but the game itself is a stinker. For 2.62 the only thing you should be worried about wasting is your time.
Ignore this man he is completely wrong.

Compared to Alpha Protocol, most games released this gen will seem like a waste of time. It's easily one of the top 5 RPGs released in the past 5 years.
Alright, caved lol. Thanks for the input guys. Never seen Alpha Protocol that low ever. So bought.

gotee12

What's the verdict on the first Transformer game?

Also, Alpha Protocol is bloody amazing. I feel really bad that I forgot about it when I voted in the essential RPG thread. :-(
The first one is great for its nostalgic value if you grew up with Gen1 Transformers. The controls are decent and transforming on the fly never got old. The gameplay was very repetitive though. You'll blast the same basic baddie thousands of times and its all basically one long corridor. Multiplayer is awesome but is really buggy and probably nonexistent at this point in the game's life.

All in all, if you were an 80's Transformers fan, you will love it despite it's shortcomings. (Especially the end credits song.)

Durante

It's quite right to warn the potential buyer of the games reputation - though it has a cult classic-esque status it wasn't well received and is notably less polished than its contemporaries.
Fuck polish.
(Don't worry I still like you CD Projekt RED)

I'm serious though: the prevailing need for "polish" in the AAA retail marketplace kills innovation and complex/interesting game mechanics.

Ignore this man he is completely wrong.

Compared to Alpha Protocol, most games released this gen will seem like a waste of time. It's easily one of the top 5 RPGs released in the past 5 years.

Oh please. I could never call a game good when something you spend so much of your time doing (combat and stealth) plays so poorly. The borked PC controls for hacking and lockpicking are an addition stick up your arse. And it's not exactly a looker either. If "choice and consequence" is the only thing you care about in a game then more power to you, but caveat emptor is in full effect with a game like this.

Fuck polish.
(Don't worry I still like you CD Projekt RED)

I'm serious though: the prevailing need for "polish" in the AAA retail marketplace kills innovation and complex/interesting game mechanics.

Stop being racist!

There is no logical reason why Alpha Protocol had to be such a turd. Development is not an RPG, and by assigning skill points to "original ideas", Obsidian is not required to make the shooting suck, for example.

Oh please. I could never call a game good when something you spend so much of your time doing (combat and stealth) plays so poorly. The borked PC controls for hacking and lockpicking are an addition stick up your arse. And it's not exactly a looker either. If "choice and consequence" is the only thing you care about in a game then more power to you, but caveat emptor is in full effect with a game like this.

Seconded I'm afraid. For a couple of bucks it's worth a punt but the praise the game gets is insane when it's fundamentally broken.

1-D_FTW

Stop being racist!

There is no logical reason why Alpha Protocol had to be such a turd. Development is not an RPG, and by assigning skill points to "original ideas", Obsidian is not required to make the shooting suck, for example.

This is why I take so much shit in the official Steam thread for always abandoning the game. Supposedly it works much better if you use a controller. I like to boot it up every year or so to see if "this is the year" it clicks. It always fails. My 2013 attempt will be with the controller. If it fails that, I will delete from memory and never try again.

Forkball

I wish the developers of Football Manager would make a Baseball Manager game. You can get an achievement for having your ace pitcher go three years without becoming obese.

Omega

Banned
AP is an average RPG. Those calling it Top 5..idk what you're smoking but it must be some good shit.

for $2.62 it's worth checking out though.

Forkball

AP would be great if they cut out all the gameplay parts and just kept the cutscenes. I wish they would make an AP2 that was only the cutscenes, like a visual novel.

In fact, I wonder if there is a "remove gameplay" mod for AP.

Derrick01

Banned
AP is an average RPG. Those calling it Top 5..idk what you're smoking but it must be some good shit.

for $2.62 it's worth checking out though.

You'd have a hard time finding another RPG from this gen that can top the things it does. People tend to just look at the broken combat and say it's a horrible game. These people are why we have Mass Effect 2 and 3 representing the "RPG" genre now.

Durante

I really enjoyed the stealth gameplay in AP. The only bad part about the game were the bosses -- in that it's similar to Deus Ex HR.

And hacking and lockpicking were easy enough on mouse/keyboard, never had an issue with either.

Durante

Edit: sorry for the double post.

Stop being racist!

If that is the case, then why are innovative and complex RPGs never even close to being as polished as their "safe", boring counterparts? Compare ME1 and ME2. Or just look at Obsidian's own Dungeon Siege 3! Totally polished, that one.

On the other hand, almost every single great game in the WRPG genre ever had some polish issues.

Omega

Banned
speaking of Obsidian, is there any chance New Vegas Ultimate Edition goes on sale?

played it on PS3 but I had some terrible glitches and just gave up on it after. I'm not paying $20 for it again

Torraz

I really enjoyed the stealth gameplay in AP. The only bad part about the game were the bosses -- in that it's similar to Deus Ex HR.

And hacking and lockpicking were easy enough on mouse/keyboard, never had an issue with either.

As pistol/stealth there was only one boss that was a bit annoying. I found the bosses a lot less of a PITA as in Deus Ex HR.

speaking of Obsidian, is there any chance New Vegas Ultimate Edition goes on sale?

played it on PS3 but I had some terrible glitches and just gave up on it after. I'm not paying $20 for it again

Fallout franchise wasn't on sale at all yet. There a very high chance it'll appear in the next couple of days for something like 75% off.

Durante

In other news, Dark Souls is on top of the best seller list again, while still being more expensive than on Amazon. Namco should be more than motivated to spend a bit more on the PC version the second time around.

Isaccard

You'd have a hard time finding another RPG from this gen that can top the things it does. People tend to just look at the broken combat and say it's a horrible game. These people are why we have Mass Effect 2 and 3 representing the "RPG" genre now.

As previously stated it does choice and consequence well. That, story and writing is all it has going for it. From a gameplay perspective it's a terrible title.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In other news, Dark Souls is on top of the best seller list again, while still being more expensive than on Amazon. Namco should be more than motivated to spend a bit more on the PC version the second time around.

50m+ active users will have that effect.

Derrick01

Banned
As previously stated it does choice and consequence well. That, story and writing is all it has going for it. From a gameplay perspective it's a terrible title.

So is the Mass Effect series, but minus the stuff that AP does great. Obviously AP is the more breakable game, since if you go stealth you can quite literally run around invisible for a minute and take everyone down, but if I'm playing a good game with bad gameplay then do I want to waste my time with forced combat? No, I want to get it over with and get to the good stuff. I wish Mass Effect would offer me that option.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Since some people from other timezones might be awake now, I think I'll ask again.
Does anyone who actually got their Borderlands 2 codes from that broken price promo wants to sell their copy for 1/4 of the bundle price (got 12$ offers before...).

People calling it an average RPG are saying that it is an RPG, and it is an average game, not saying that the RPG parts of it are average. They are evidently all it has going for it. There is no need for you to get snobby about all of this, either, even though you evidently froth at the mouth at the thought of people wanting their games to have quality gameplay.

If that is the case, then why are innovative and complex RPGs never even close to being as polished as their "safe", boring counterparts? Compare ME1 and ME2. Or just look at Obsidian's own Dungeon Siege 3! Totally polished, that one.

On the other hand, almost every single great game in the WRPG genre ever had some polish issues.

Stop and think for a second about what you're arguing. This is not about scope, or budget, or what have you. Alpha Protocol is not broken because it's some amazingly large game bursting at the seams with content. It's broken because it was designed poorly, because it was ported poorly to PC, and because it was implemented poorly. Skill based aiming is a bad idea. The stealth mechanics are totally unbalanced. The hacking controls are fucked.

You would be right ot say that there is a correlation between ambition or scope and jankiness, but you can have well designed and implemented mechanics while also being innovative in several respects. Alpha Protocol does not.

So is the Mass Effect series, but minus the stuff that AP does great.

Mass Effect 1 has bad gameplay, ME2 and ME3 are "average" at worst.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

For sure. I don't want to gloss over AP's shortcomings but I'm not a fan of the whole "SEVERELY FLAWED, but great choices" mentality. Lined up with the majority of the WRPG's I've played over the past several years, it's no more flawed then the works of the Biowares and Bethesdas of the world. As you said, the stealth gameplay is actually pretty dang good, especially if you're going no-kill, and it's even kinda fun to run and gun with the right build.

The characters and the choice driven plot are obviously the highlights of the game, but I actually enjoy playing it too.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Fucking awesome, AP is one of the top games I wanted to nab this sale. Thank you based GMG.

Just need to grab Sim City or Anno, and I will be done with the sale. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom