• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
If publishers choose the deals then why was lego lord of the rings $7.50 on amazon and $20 on steam? Are they purposely undermining Steam in hopes that somewhere down the road they'll start to fail from not getting money? (They don't make any money when a game is bought somewhere out of Steam and registered).

Or is Steam simply slacking in the negotiation department? Tony from Amazon fights pretty hard to get better deals and better customer service. Maybe Steam feels like they don't have to fight as hard due to being the top dog. Not to mention they're putting a lot of focus into adding more features on Steam and possibly even working on some kind of steambox.

Exactly. Tony's entire job is to talk to publishers and pitch deals for them, make promises about numbers of sales if we go this far. I'm pretty sure Amazon is also taking a hard cut on their percentages on each sale. We (as users) only get Steam keys on Amazon deals because we specifically asked Tony for them. And he asks the publishers for them.

Steam doesn't need to do any of that, as they're already the market leader. Also, the "valve economist", already mentioned in this thread, hired this year, probably has the most guilt on this sale overall lackluster reception.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
While we're on the topic of sales, I really wish Tony would disclose what's the difference in number of sales on bundles that offer both Steam-redeemable keys and DRM-Free (or Amazon-only, whatever you want to call it).

I'd be pretty sure that the Steam-redeemable ones would oversell the non-steam version by ten fold. I also wonder how successful are the sales for games that don't have Steam counterparts (like EA stuff).

Maybe I should go on CAG and ask him.

Le-mo

I owned Left 4 Dead 2 so if I buy the bundle will I get an extra copy of the game to give away? The support page specifically mentioned only Left 4 Dead will get an extra copy. Can someone confirm?

Derrick01

Banned
Because:

Just look at Dark Souls shooting up to #1 on the Top Sellers list (which is sorted by revenue) despite being cheaper on Amazon. The comparably lacklustre sales on Steam is a classic example of something being a "victim" of its own success.

So it is a lack of effort then. That's a shame, but I guess as long as Steam is still making a bunch of money and I can still get my games everywhere else and register them then I don't have a problem.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So it is a lack of effort then. That's a shame, but I guess as long as Steam is still making a bunch of money and I can still get my games everywhere else and register them then I don't have a problem.

Perhaps. There's really no way to be sure if Valve has become complacent or publishers more stubborn. A bit of both, maybe.

It's not a lack of effort, it's a lack of necessity.
They have quite a bit of experience and data at this point, and the way they're doing it is probably they way to maximize profits.

TimmiT

Something weird is up with the Sonic bundle. It now only includes five games instead of all Sonic games on Steam like during the daily deal, making the price of all the games in the bundle about the same as what the bundle costs. The bundle also still says that it's 75% off.

Also, someone I know bought it as a gift for in his inventory to give it later and the games in the inventory have been retroactively changed to what games are in the bundle now.

mneuro

Well today started off well. I woke up to Spec Ops for $5 and Alpha Protocol for $2 on GMG with Steam keys. Two of the remaining games I was hoping to see on a good deal.

Steam, please have good daily deals today!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Something weird is up with the Sonic bundle. It now only includes five games, making the price of all the games in the bundle about the same as what the bundle costs. The bundle also still says that it's 75% off.

Also, someone I know bought it as a gift for in his inventory to give it later and the games in the inventory have been retroactively changed to what games are in the bundle now.

Bummer. I wouldn't redeem that gift now. Wait until the bundle is fixed.

Also, pisses me off that Nights didn't get anything. Not even 25%!

I dont buy the "valve getting lazy/cheap" argument. Valve knows, and has always tried to convince publishers, that when you deeply discount games you make more in the long run. Word of mouth about games spreads, people see others in their friends list playing the games, sales continue strongly even after the discount ends. This is one of the more well known stories to come out of Valve in recent years. They have the data that shows cheaper games actually means more money. This is all on the publishers not wanting to drop prices on steam as well as other DD sites taking bigger cuts, and in the case of Amazon, leveraging other parts of their business (ad placement and guarantee of how much disc based stock for consoles they will carry, etc.).

I haven't notices valves titles being discounted less than usual. I'm pretty sure Portal and L4D franchises are at their lowest prices ever today.

Eternia

Can you elaborate a bit more? I'm thinking of picking up either the Gold Box or the Super Box.

Are the older gamex (X, X2) still worth it, or am I good with X3?
I've only played X3 Terran Conflict and I can easily see someone who really gets into the game spending hundreds if not thousands of hours in it alone. The story is kind of a throwaway so you'll be spending most of your time trading/flying around/building your empire.

Depends on how much you care about the extra $3-$5 but the Terran pack for $5 should be enough game to see if you like it.

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Did I make this meme correct?
iGYea99wNA39B.jpg

All these deals.

offtopic but killer avatar bro
Cheers, mate.
So sad, no Nisa in V ;_;

Dunlop

How much was Batman AC GOTY when it was on sale? Can get it at GMG for $8.50, I'll hold out if it was $5 on Steam as I am mostly getting it to try out my new video card

Bulzeeb

hi guys, how good are this Carpe Fulgar games? I remeber some of them made a big fuzz some time ago but I never actually played them, are they good or worth at the price of the flash sale?

tumblr_m6k37s2PaA1r96br0o1_500.png

MRORANGE

That's all Valve ever wanted, they could stop doing sales right now if they wanted too as long as they have the majority of the userbase on thier service they can steer the road paths.

Mrbob

If we can find deals through other stores and register the games on Steam, I'm fine.

Would be nice if there were some more new games start popping up for the daily/flash/community. I'm shocked at the number of repeats. Easily my biggest disappointment.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If we can find deals through other stores and register the games on Steam, I'm fine.

Would be nice if there were some more new games start popping up for the daily/flash/community. I'm shocked at the number of repeats.

Miasmata and Primordia already, Valve. They lose their respective CC polls and then drop off the face of the (deal) Earth.

DaBuddaDa

hi guys, how good are this Carpe Fulgar games? I remeber some of them made a big fuzz some time ago but I never actually played them, are they good or worth at the price of the flash sale?

Recettear is great, and the other two have their fans, but I've heard lots of negative impressions of Chantelise and Fortune Summoners.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I have a Indie game: the movie code to give away. First person to post a picture, of one of the three main games featured, wins.

Tizoc

lol @ Sonic sale, the repeats man.
Well let's see what the 48 hours deals are gonna be before I hit the sack. I'll check back tomorrow morning before going to work to see if there's anything I'd want.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I've only played X3 Terran Conflict and I can easily see someone who really gets into the game spending hundreds if not thousands of hours in it alone. The story is kind of a throwaway so you'll be spending most of your time trading/flying around/building your empire.

Depends on how much you care about the extra $3-$5 but the Terran pack for $5 should be enough game to see if you like it.
*goes to cry*

To understand Chantelise... imagine grinding... except take out all the interesting enemies. Now imagine grinding for so long that you crumple into a ball weeping and babbling incoherent things, possibly memories from when you were 4 years old resurfacing. Now multiply that amount of grinding by 20. That's about the amount of grinding you need for the first couple bosses, and then it grows exponentially.

MachoSuave

Neo Member

Recettear is great but vastly outlcassed in combat by the Ys games, main focus is being the biggest, filthiest capitalist schweinehund though so it's not entirely fair to make that comparison.
Chantelise is alright, like a combat-only 3D Recettear, tough though, make no mistake.
Fortune Summoners is probably my favourite of the lot, a side-scrolling beat 'em up type thing with the most interesting combat of the 3.

I would say at the 5/2.5/5 they're each at now, they're all more than worth it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2010/10/team-meat-530w.jpg[/I MG]

Maybe?[/QUOTE]

Games, not people. :p

[quote="exmachina64, post: 45864899"]If the other one doesn't count...

[img]http://i.imgur.com/1s5Y9.png[/img ][/QUOTE]

You win. PMing you shortly.

I think they're all quite good, but then I may be a bit biased. :3

But yes! Five more hours! Tell your friends, and your enemies too!

Also remember that all three of our titles have demos on Steam, so if you want to try them out beforehand, feel free to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom