• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Now this is the story all about how
Brink's life got flipped, turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there
I'll tell you how it became the prince of trash with no compare.

In Splash Damage, Ltd born and raised
On constant development where it spent most of its days
marketing, debugging, QCing all cool
And all the while hyping it outside of the school
When a couple of journalists found out its no good
Started making trouble in the GAFfer's hood
It got a lot of bad previews and Bethesda got scared
And said "Oh wow, you became a prince of trash with no compare."

EDIT: Why am I not working!?

slowclap.gif

I wish Steam would tell you how much you have to download rather than how much space a game takes up. I have put off downloading Dirt 3 for months because Steam said it was about 11gb when really it's about 6.7gb.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wish Steam would tell you how much you have to download rather than how much space a game takes up. I have put off downloading Dirt 3 for months because Steam said it was about 11gb when really it's about 6.7gb.

You could have just started the download, paused it, and checked the Downloads page. ;) At worst you waste a few megs of quota in the process.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Yay.

Also, just bought Resonance and Emerald City Confidential. To be honest, I've never actually played a Wadjet Eye game and I've wanted to play Gemini Rue and Primordia. I might end up buying those before the sale is over.

I've been browsing through the indie section. What is GAF's opinion on Hard Reset and Sine Mora?

Hard Reset - At it's core, it's a traditional FPS (Doom, Serious Sam, Quake, Painkiller) wrapped in a Blade Runneresque cyberpunk visual wrapper. The weapons are presented as two transforming guns; but it actually boils down to two types of ammunition (energy and bullet based) that morph into two variations on traditional weapon sets (assault rifle, shotgun, grenade launcher, etc). The common complaint is that the AI emulates the very traditional gameplay style so some people used to modern shooters where enemies stay far back and barrage the player with weapon fire erroneously complain that they're constantly getting rushed. It's really quite good.

Sine Mora - It's a Shmup with a interesting mechanic of a constantly decreasing time limit that needs to be replenished by destroying enemies. Story wise, it's a bit like a happy version of a classic Russian novel than the typical **13 YEAR OLD ANIME GIRL KAWAII!!!** storyline, but it isn't anything serious. Unless you're a simpleton that HAD TO STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU WERE PHYSICALLY SICKENED AND DISTRAUGHT(tm) because the story world depicted doesn't follow a typical Disney story line.

Should we prepare a comfortable cardboard box to be his new home?

I'm sure we can find a gaffer willing to let him live with them, if it comes to that.

So apprently Funcom still wants my CC info after buying The Secret World. Won't let me register my key without it.

dafuq?

On log-in:

Isaccard, did you know that Issue 6 is out today? Only $9.99! Subscribe now at a low monthly rate to get it FREE! CLICK HERE NOW!

Isaccard, Funcom is offering a special sale to unlock this bundle. It contains items other users in your class report finding useful. Subscribers get free in-game cash to purchase deals like this. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE!

Hard Reset - At it's core, it's a traditional FPS (Doom, Serious Sam, Quake, Painkiller) wrapped in a Blade runneresque cyberpunk visual wrapper. The weapons are presented as two transforming guns; but it actually boils down to two types of ammunition (energy and bullet based) that morph into two variations on traditional weapon sets (assault rifle, shotgun, grenade launcher, etc). The common complaint is that the AI emulates the very traditional gameplay style so some people used to modern shooters where enemies stay far back and barrage the player with weapon fire erroneously complain that they're constantly getting rushed. It's really quite good.

Sine Mora - It's a Shmup with a interesting mechanic of a constantly decreasing time limit that needs to be replenished by destroying enemies. Story wise, it's a bit like a happy version of a classic Russian novel than the typical **13 YEAR OLD ANIME GIRL KAWAII!!!** storyline, but it isn't anything serious. Unless your a simpleton that HAD TO STOP PLAYING BECAUSE YOU WERE PHYSICALLY SICKENED AND DISTRAUGHT(tm) because the story world depicted doesn't follow a typical Disney story line.

Thanks, Casimir. Both of them sound enjoyable to me.

Talyn

So apprently Funcom still wants my CC info after buying The Secret World. Won't let me register my key without it.

dafuq?
That is weird, it didn't ask me for mine. Although I already had an existing Funcom account from Age of Conan. (Which I bought a cheapass collector's version of years ago and then never played beyond the tutorial, but I digress.) As for the Secret World, getting it started was an exercise in frustration. First it took like 7 hours to download from Steam (I wish I were kidding) and then the patcher went nuts downloading data exceeding what it was supposed to download, to the point that it caused a fatal error, and apparently this is not uncommon according to their tech support forum. So i finally get ingame and my framerate never goes above 20fps no matter what I do. DX9 or 11, makes no difference, changing the visual settings doesn't make much difference either and it's not anywhere near pretty enough to justify this performance hit.

Mordeccai

I hate Steam with a passion. A couple weeks ago, I had never really used Steam but since they put SimCity 4 up on sale last week, I've bought numerous other games and it really feels like an addiction at this point. I've got to lay off the store for a while or something as I already have a giant backlog on the consoles. Hell, I bought a game today I'm not even sure will run right on my PC.

This was me a year and a half ago with Steam. I had a shitty laptop that barely runs minecraft, but I saw the light of the sales one winter and loaded up on triple a titles and every game on sale that caught my eye. My backlog became a behemoth, haunting my dreams, unplayable by my PC. Sale after sale, I succumbed to steams wallet punishing deals.

But then I, Mordeccai, began to vanquish the fell beast with the holy might of a gaming rig I constructed from ore and precious gems. Let me just tell you, the feeling of booting up my PC, and having 80 games there, ready to install and play, was fucking fantastic.

In essence, let your backlog flourish in hopes that one day you may slay it in gaming glory

Torraz

That is weird, it didn't ask me for mine. Although I already had an existing Funcom account from Age of Conan. (Which I bought a cheapass collector's version of years ago and then never played beyond the tutorial, but I digress.) As for the Secret World, getting it started was an exercise in frustration. First it took like 7 hours to download from Steam (I wish I were kidding) and then the patcher went nuts downloading data exceeding what it was supposed to download, to the point that it caused a fatal error, and apparently this is not uncommon according to their tech support forum. So i finally get ingame and my framerate never goes above 20fps no matter what I do. DX9 or 11, makes no difference, changing the visual settings doesn't make much difference either and it's not anywhere near pretty enough to justify this performance hit.

I also have an age of conan account, so I'm interested in how it'll go. I'll have to see if I can find a US gaffer to gift it to me (in exchange for paypal of course) if it doesn't appear in todays daily deal.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh Steam, you and your "suddenly vanished categories".

Any idea why the program does that occasionally?

Deques

New flash deals
DMC4 66%, 3d Mark Vantage 75%, and Trine collection 75%

How come the trine 2 dlc never becomes cheaper than 50% off :(

Is the DMC4 flash deal some sort of troll? It has been that price the entire time this sale - I bought it a couple days ago (never had it on PC).

Yeah I picked DMC4 up on the first day of the sales, they've been trolling us with a couple of the dailies now, I think it might have even been one of the 'community votes' where the game was already at the discounted that it could be voted for.

Here's to steam slowly losing my respect.

Although that's not to say I'm not happy with the sale, it's been pretty good for me even without some cool Christmas achievements to play.

New flash deals
DMC4 66%, 3d Mark Vantage 75%, and Trine collection 75%

How come the trine 2 dlc never becomes cheaper than 50% off :(

3D Mark Vantage?!

DMC4?!

Is the DMC4 flash deal some sort of troll? It has been that price the entire time this sale - I bought it a couple days ago (never had it on PC).

Seems like they've been repeating some of the dailies as Flash Sales and vice versa at lower discounts too.

Tizoc

@dreamfall- Trine 1 and 2 are among the most visually impressive platformers on consoles and PC, and both play really well, well worth getting.

Danielsan

Many thanks to Vitaminwateryum for gifting me Dear Esther! Completely took me by surprise. It was high on my wishlist so I look forward to taking the time this weekend to play through it!
Self quote to thank Vitamin again. Went through Dear Esther first thing in the morning. Put on my headphones and let myself get sucked into the experience. By the end of I was thoroughly wowed. The ambiguous story telling, the great sense of place, the stunningly crafted environment and the amazing audio made it come together as a great package that I will certainly go through again.

Mechazawa

I was popping in here to make sure I wasn't imagining things at the beginning of the sale and that DMC4's price didn't change.

What the fuck, Valve.

Wolfie5

Picking up Trine 2 Collection.

Waiting for DMC4 price to change, because it has been that price since the Holiday Sale started. I know, because it was on my price list and planned on picking it up even if it didn´t show up as a daily. Must be an error, right?

Cool, I was waiting for a Trine sale :)
Is the DLC Goblin Menace worth it?

Self quote to thank Vitamin again. Went through Dear Esther first thing in the morning. Put on my headphones and let myself get sucked into the experience. By the end of I was thoroughly wowed. The ambiguous story telling, the great sense of place, the stunningly crafted environment and the amazing audio made it come together as a great package that I will certainly go through again.

Going through it again is especially worthwhile since the dialogue and some other things are randomized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom