• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Steam sale, another text message from my credit card company thinking my Steam purchases are fradulent activity. The concern is appreciated, but they should know me by now!

nexen

Miasmata looks really interesting, do games that lost the vote typical appear as flash sales later in the sale?

During the summer sale I think they did. I remember being mildly surprised because it made the vote outcomes meaningless for those who are into the sales enough to watch daily.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm scratching my head at all the people waiting on Torchlight II to go to $5. The game just came out a couple months ago at an incredible price of only $20. Good luck waiting into next summer/fall to see it at the $5 mark. I'll just continue to enjoy my copy that I payed full price for on launch. I understand wanting a good deal and all, but sometimes you need to step back and look at things in the proper perspective.

Nowadays, there are very few games I will buy at launch for full price. Blizzard games are the only consistent exception for me. I've learned over the years that it pays in spades to be a gamer who is just behind the going gold curve. I've purchased something like 20 games this year, and spent only about $70 total. If I had bought them all at launch it would be several hundred dollars easily.

I'm one of the guys waiting for Torchlight II to go to 75% off. I'll buy it instantly at that price. Until then, I've got plenty of other games to keep me busy.

Sysgen

Last post on Disciples III - Reincarnation:

The game is distributed but not sold on Steam. The developers are out of business / bankrupt. The game is on sale @ gamersgate for $14.98

Another post on the differences between Disciples III - Reincarnation and Disciples III - Renaissance Steam Special Edition / Disciples III - Resurrection

It's a remake of the first two D3 games combined. Some things have been tweaked and changed, a few new spells and neutral units added as well. The big change is that they've remade the maps - the game is essentially trying to drop its Hero's of Might and Magic influence (from the game engine) and adopt one more suited to Disciples 2. As such sea units have reappeared and the maps units move on have been changed from corridor based to more open exploration - thus you're not necessarily just running in a straight line from start to finish.

They've also re-introduced many of the thief skills, rebalanced the hero skills and changed the battle mode (mostly they've just made the board they are played upon smaller in size).

It's a good slew of changes and honestly provided that they've balanced it well (from what I recall the Beta says it was pretty good - and remember the English version gains from the Russian being out and adjusted for longer). I suspect its worthwhile getting for Disciples fans - though those who bought both D3 games before might feel like waiting for deals/discounts in the future - whilst those with one or no past of those games would be well set to get this title.

Nimajneb

I guess I'll hold off buying it to the end of the sale then. The whole voting thing seems really weird, it basically denies a game front page promotion space based on the random whim of the voters. If I published a game, I wouldn't want to leave the pricing up to chance.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
For those who bought DMC4:

I am getting crashes during cutscenes in DX10, maxed out. The fix seems to be setting SLI off in the config.ini file.

I'll let you know if it works.

EDIT: Nope, still crashing.

I pretty much play almost every genre. Aside from most FPS. (Things like Metroid Prime being the exception).
Thinking about picking up arkham asylum ,but aside from that...
Definitely browse through the heavily discounted items.

Here's a few things I'm interested in / really enjoyed.

WAIT FOR DAILY DEALS ON EVERYTHING (unless a flash deal comes up)
Hotline Miami is a fantastically fun title, and it's just $7.49, at the moment.
Gemini Rue is a recent point and click that's only $5
Hell Yeah! is currently 50% off for $5
The Deponia games have got a good buzz going for them and they're all discounted too.
The Monkey Island bundle is a must-have if you haven't played them before.
I watched my brother play Botcanicula last year, and it was really enjoyable. Just $2.49.
Alpha Protocol is one of the best games I've played this generation, and it's 50%.
Audio Surf is a must own, and it's just $2.49. Creates tracks to play a sort of matching/puzzle game on using your music library.
Bastion is a brilliant game with lovely art and music for 50% off, currently.
The original Mass Effect is 50% off, and still one of my favorite titles this gen.
Both Puzzle Agent titles are super cheap, and I really had fun with them.
Psychonauts and Super Meat Boy are both half off.
Walking Dead is a MUST OWN, as far as I'm concerned.
Witcher and Witcher 2 are both fantastic western rpgs, and I highly recommend them. Witcher 1 is dirt cheap, at the moment, and witcher 2 is worth the current asking price (though wait for a potential deal)
I haven't played it yet, but To The Moon is getting some great word of mouth. I have it installed and ready to go as my next play. Just $5 currently.
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is only 25% off right now, but I'd bet it will go on sale at some point during this event. Get it when it does, and then read this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435808

Addnan

Was Red Faction Guerrilla removed because of THQ problems or something else? Was hoping it would be back before the end of the sale.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I was able to resist Day 1 but looks like Steam has dealt it's first blow today.

Orcs Must Die 2 for $3.74.

Not buying the DLC for $3 more since I might not like the base game that much. From everything I've seen, though, it looks fun as hell.

Thank you FTL for bringing me back into PC gaming. Ready for some daily deals on Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, and Dark Souls.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Did the daily deals update? I see the same games but counter is at 24 hours..

Assuming it's like the autumn sale, the sales overlap for an extra day. Steam should theoretically update in 20 minutes or so with 2nd day sales under 1st day section.

therapist

You can give away games you own now?

Ill come post here tomorrow , i shall have some games to give away that i do not play.

Cheers

I shall def be giving away my MW3 as i hated it and never play it , so thats one for sure - first to PM gets it
(Keep in mind ill only be back home tomorrow sometime)

Edit ; oh crap i cant give it then ... sorry fellas

mannerbot

You can give away games you own now?

Ill come post here tomorrow , i shall have some games to give away that i do not play.

Cheers

I shall def be giving away my MW3 as i hated it and never play it , so thats one for sure - first to PM gets it
(Keep in mind ill only be back home tomorrow sometime)

Not titles that are in your game library, no. These game giveaways are either purchased solely for the purpose of giving them away or from leftovers from bundles, etc.

the sadness that comes with owning most everything you want on Steam

tho I'm still waiting for a fucking discount on Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 beyond 50%

come on that game came out in George W. Bush's 1st term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom