• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will 6 new flash sales or dailies come up in 1 hour and 45 minutes?

Dailies should, not flash sales.

Felix Lighter said:
I wouldn't worry too much. All those games see daily deals throughout the year and I'm very confident even if they don't win the vote, you'll find those 3 deals or better by the end of this sale.

I don't want any of them. I was just going to vote for what others wanted.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Torchlight 2 for 50% is disappointing.

I already have everything from Orcs Must Die, so I'd only be interested in Orcs Must Die 2 and it's dlc... but then again... not really....

OK, I have a gift copy of 'Don't Starve' to give to a lucky fellow Steam Sale Slave.

2370139-dont_starve_banner.png

All you have to do is post a picture of food from a video game - one that makes me hungry (or something) gets the game. I know it's a stupid competition.

Doomrider

It's like a spiritual successor to Drakan. I loved it. Combat is meh but the writing and music are great.

Yeah, 8 hours in and I'm impressed by the writing. Pretty witty and funny. I also like the armor and weapon design, so far. They help create a unique visual identity for the game, which is pretty important. And, of course, dragons.

I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Derrick01

Banned
But they actually have a reward system attached to it. They aren't just worthless badges you get. In theory anyway. In practice I have like 250 points racked up on their system because the rewards don't interest me but the system itself is still better.

No those are uplay points. They have an actual achievement list for far cry 3 as well that's probably the same as 360s and ps3s.

The uplay points are probably the most pointless and overrated thing people praise ubi for. All they do is lock tiny content behind that system. Yeah it's cool at first thinking you're "getting" a new mission in far cry 3 until you go there and realize it's just a lab with a few animals from the outside island placed inside. It's a glorified preorder bonus mission.

Steamworks is an incredible deal for Amazon and GMG.

They get 100% of the revenue from the sale of the game and practically 0% of the costs associated with the downloading the game as you can be pretty much assurmed that everyone will download the game from Steam itself.

Valve -- on the other hand -- gets 0% of the revenue from the sale of the game and 100% of the costs associated with the downloading of the game from Steam.

They constantly get new people signing to their service. The next game they buy might be from Steam. It all works out for them, I guess,

Platy

OK, I have a gift copy of 'Don't Starve' to give to a lucky fellow Steam Sale Slave.

All you have to do is post a picture of food from a video game - one that makes me hungry (or something) gets the game. I know it's a stupid competition.

edit :
One more, just because

AlexBasch

Welp, I was going to buy I Am Alive on the PS3 but here it is. Does it have some sort of awful DRM or anything Ubi-soft-like thing that I have to worry about?

Expected to see Torchlight for 75% off, just started to play the first one, so I'll have time until the next sale. :p

I'm still waiting for 75% off of Torchlight 2.

Was kind of my thinking, except I downloaded the demo yesterday, and now I really want to play it... I'm in a bind here! 50% isn't bad... normally I wouldn't stress it, but $5 is kind of a lot of money to me right now. Honestly, I'll probably break down and go for it.

Velinos

Steamworks is an incredible deal for Amazon and GMG.

They get 100% of the revenue from the sale of the game and practically 0% of the costs associated with the downloading the game as you can be pretty much assurmed that everyone will download the game from Steam itself.

Valve -- on the other hand -- gets 0% of the revenue from the sale of the game and 100% of the costs associated with the downloading of the game from Steam.

Amazon and GMG are licensed re-sellers of Steam keys. I'm sure that they pay for them at a bulk rate, so Valve gets their cut.

Salsa

just woke up and what the fuck is FORGE, man

Miasmata :(

at least we got I Am Alive, told you dude-who-bought-it-for-$9

AlexBasch

sushi-go-round.jpg

Don't really want the game but this minigame was fucking good, and was the first thing it popped up in my mind when you said "hungry".

Giran

No those are uplay points. They have an actual achievement list for far cry 3 as well that's probably the same as 360s and ps3s.

The uplay points are probably the most pointless and overrated thing people praise ubi for. All they do is lock tiny content behind that system. Yeah it's cool at first thinking you're "getting" a new mission in far cry 3 until you go there and realize it's just a lab with a few animals from the outside island placed inside. It's a glorified preorder bonus mission.

You earn those points with achievements. And it gets you content. Essentially free DLC. I'm not sure how you think this is worse than getting a tiny image in the corner of your screen for 3 seconds.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

RU3De.png

(New Vegas' Ghastly Scavenger perk)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Amazon sure, such a huge customer base. But GMG has got a lopsidedly good deal in Steamworks games.

From what I understand, Valve provides the publishers with Steam keys when requested, for free.

So, GMG has to make deals with the publishers for Steam keys. Not with Valve directly.

kswiston

Torchlight 2 for 50% is disappointing.

I already have everything from Orcs Must Die, so I'd only be interested in Orcs Must Die 2 and it's dlc... but then again... not really....

Torchlight 2 was never going to be more than 50% off when they set the "regular" sale price at 25% off. Expect the same thing for FTL.

Torchlight 2 for $7.50 via the 4-pack is still a pretty good deal though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Stupid question time. I'm thinking about grabbing the Meridian 4 pack, but I already have one of the games in the pack (Wasteland Angel). My question is, if I get the pack, will that extra game be giftable?

The pack is available for the duration of the Winter Sale, so I have the time to think it over. I would like an answer about this now, though, so I can gift it to someone else, if that's possible.

Thanks for ruining my Christmas, Derrick. Now what am I going to spend all those sweet Ubipoints on? Exclusive wallpaper it is!! Yayayayayaya

Salsa

hell yeah streets of rage

trashcan470.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Torchlight 2 was never going to be more than 50% off when they set the "regular" sale price at 25% off. Expect the same thing for FTL.

Torchlight 2 for $7.50 via the 4-pack is still a pretty good deal though.

Comes out at about $6.80 locally. That's not a bad deal at all.

Hey I have two giftable things in my Steam inventory I'm sick of looking at.

GONE!

Does anyone want either of these? Please take them? Anyone?

Deadbeat

Banned
Going by last year and autumn sales, the flash deal is the lowest the price will go. A daily deal price can be the same, but it will never be lower than flash. Therefore, you see it in a flash sale, buy it because its not gonna get better.
Hey I have two giftable things in my Steam inventory I'm sick of looking at.

• Half-Life 2 Episode 1
  • Far Cry 1

Does anyone want either of these? Please take them? Anyone?
can I have episode 1?

edit: thanks dude now I can play Minerva again.

Mrbob

That whole Divinity bundle looks tempting. But I don't have time for everything. Since I saw a mention of Drakan, I'm guessing I get to ride dragons in Divinity 2? Sold! Drakan was rough around the edges, but one of my favorite games at the time of release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom